ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Word to the mutha-f'n-hellz-ya!
LMFAO
It really just comes across as a maximalist approach to getting people to spend more money [read: on credit]. There is nothing wrong with true 4K... its beautiful even when its not.
For all of us that have built great systems, on a budget or no-holds-barred, how much of that is really about bragging rights as @AcuDefTechGuy likes to say? To me... 8k is just that. :D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The way things are progressing, I think I'll just sit back with my 4k set and wait for a holodeck to become available.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The way things are progressing, I think I'll just sit back with my 4k set and wait for a holodeck to become available.
Yep this! ‘cep I’m still rockin a 2k plasma...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
All this resolution talk is insanity in a world that just needs to get some larger displays down to reasonable prices. I am stoked that the LG 86" display is under $2,500 on Amazon right now, but it's still $3K+ for 85" and then things start to get crazy expensive.

I'm waiting on those roll up OLED displays to hit the market. Where we can get a 120" OLED mailed to us in a tube for a couple grand. I don't care about the resolution... 1080p? FINE! Just unroll that sucker, tape it to my wall, and get a bright vibrant image with crazy black levels. That's what I'm talkin' about!!!

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Yep this! ‘cep I’m still rockin a 2k plasma...
All my displays are still 2k plasmas. I'm trying to figure out if 4k is the right move or to wait for whatever's next...8k?

I have no issues with 2k content, and am excited to see what a 4k panel would really make. I just don't want to buy a 4k set and have the next standard come out as soon as I get set up.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
All my displays are still 2k plasmas. I'm trying to figure out if 4k is the right move or to wait for whatever's next...8k?

I have no issues with 2k content, and am excited to see what a 4k panel would really make. I just don't want to buy a 4k set and have the next standard come out as soon as I get set up.
The thing to keep in mind (and what these discussions usually omit for folks that don't know) is that the resolution isn't what makes 4K TVs special. HDR and extended color reproduction is what's important.

If 8K sets are able to reproduce 100% of BT.2020 or BT.2100 then bring it on. Don't care about the resolution though. Being able to produce 1000 nits of brightness would also be nice.

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
I'm still pretty happy with my 46" 1080p plasma, but I'd like to upgrade to oled for HDR mostly and a bigger screen. Show's are still getting released on DVD in 2019. I wanted a box set of a current show, and they don't even have blu ray let alone 4k, it's still DVD.

Yea, a rollup TV is more exciting to me than 8k. People have limited space in the home. I'd get a 90" TV if it would roll down into a little tube out of the way. That would be amazing!
8K seems unnecessary for anything under 90"

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
8K and higher is hype, just how much detail and resolution do you need to watch a crappy modern Hollywood flick? :p

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
8K and higher is hype, just how much detail and resolution do you need to watch a crappy modern Hollywood flick? :p
I won't be happy until I can't tell that I'm watching something recorded. I want my projector picture to be so good I think I'm looking out a window. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I won't be happy until I can't tell that I'm watching something recorded. I want my projector picture to be so good I think I'm looking out a window. :)
No. By then, normal windows will be too low-res. In fact, they will offer enhancements to make the outside look better. Polarized, 16k, rose-colored AR smart glass! It’s the wave of the future!!
The homeless guy peeing on your front door will appear as a well dressed salesman, you’ll forget to water your lawn because it will always look green and weed free. Hell, I’ve heard that it’ll be so amazing, if you ever decide to go outside you’d be suicidal as the truth comes crashing down...
You don’t own the two Lambo’s in the window: one is a Prius, and the other is a turd brown Ford POS. :p
(Oh yeah, and you’ll also realize your lawn is dead, the weeds are 5’ tall, and your home was condemned two weeks prior... but if you hurry back inside it’ll be ok!)
;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No. By then, normal windows will be too low-res. In fact, they will offer enhancements to make the outside look better. Polarized, 16k, rose-colored AR smart glass! It’s the wave of the future!!
The homeless guy peeing on your front door will appear as a well dressed salesman, you’ll forget to water your lawn because it will always look green and weed free. Hell, I’ve heard that it’ll be so amazing, if you ever decide to go outside you’d be suicidal as the truth comes crashing down...
You don’t own the two Lambo’s in the window: one is a Prius, and the other is a turd brown Ford POS. :p
(Oh yeah, and you’ll also realize your lawn is dead, the weeds are 5’ tall, and your home was condemned two weeks prior... but if you hurry back inside it’ll be ok!)
;)
Yep, then we can just do everything in VR and totally neglect the real world.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If we had source material that was really in definition that matched our displays, great. Until that time, the displays, AVRs and processors will have to up-convert to 4K/8K.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
It's a rhetorical question in this context. I love watching science videos and every once in a while I see stuff about audio or video and love to share.

He breaks down the human eye, how it works and how it perceives detail. In most cases you'd have to be so close that the edges of the screen would fall outside your field of view.
I was at the local Best Buy a few days ago looking at an 82” 8K Samsung. The sales guy started his sales pitch and I commented that I didn’t think 8K was worth it right now due the lack of content. He was obviously trained to respond to this and immediately switched to a demo that purported to show a 4K picture on one half of the screen and the same content upscaled by the TV on the other half of the screen. There was a dramatic difference. However, to my eye the “4K” image looked more like a 720 and it was dramatically worse than the images on the other 4K TVs on the wall. I can’t prove the upscaling demo was fake, but I’m not dropping major coin on an 8K set unless I can get a more trustworthy way to see what the 8K upscaling actually does

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
It's a rhetorical question in this context. I love watching science videos and every once in a while I see stuff about audio or video and love to share.

He breaks down the human eye, how it works and how it perceives detail. In most cases you'd have to be so close that the edges of the screen would fall outside your field of view.
Not even sure that 4k is worth it to be honest

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I was at the local Best Buy a few days ago looking at an 82” 8K Samsung. The sales guy started his sales pitch and I commented that I didn’t think 8K was worth it right now due the lack of content. He was obviously trained to respond to this and immediately switched to a demo that purported to show a 4K picture on one half of the screen and the same content upscaled by the TV on the other half of the screen. There was a dramatic difference. However, to my eye the “4K” image looked more like a 720 and it was dramatically worse than the images on the other 4K TVs on the wall. I can’t prove the upscaling demo was fake, but I’m not dropping major coin on an 8K set unless I can get a more trustworthy way to see what the 8K upscaling actually does
Those demos are BS. They take a 4K resolution file that probably is VERY compressed and looks like crap. Same file that isn't as compressed will look great. Demos created by the manufacturer can't be trusted when it comes to TVs. Unless they are simple sets of random video clips to show off the TV. Those are fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis