iPod Video In - Or Other PVP?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I want to get certain videos, via analog, onto a personal video player, like the iPod, which I can then connecto to screens in my car so my son doesn't go berserk on long car rides. Currently, there is a DVD player in the car, but it is a bit on the 'cheap' side. The screens look good and there is the availability for 'aux' video in to feed the screens - so I was thinking that I could get away from the clunky DVDs and go with an entirely hard drive based personal video player.

iPod right? I know the new ones have video playback capability, which is really useless for many... But, if I could dump a bunch of shows out of my DVR onto the iPod then that would mean that I could have hours of entertainment readily available for my son (or wife... or me) with just a few wheel clicks.

PROBLEM: Everything I read makes it sound like it isn't possible. That is, while the 'video' iPod can play videos, it doesn't actually record videos. You have to first capture the video to your computer with analog capture software, then make sure that the video is properly encoded in one of the formats that iPod can play nicely with. This process, for any 1 hour show, typically takes half an afternoon of computer work and processing as well as hardware and a good bit of know how.

HUH? I just want to connect it to my cable box and press the record button so I can capture a show!

So, if iPod can't actually do this - anyone have any other devices that can that can offer similar storage levels, quality, etc. for a reasonable price ($500ish)? I just need to have quick access and the ability to charge or connect to my cars 12v system (cigarette lighter adapter) and at least a 60GB drive for plenty of room for a dozen or so movies. Seems simple enough... and I would hope if the iPod can't do it - that the next generation will.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
the archos av500 or av700 is what you want.

i have the 500 and its awesome.. much better than an ipod, but slightly larger. much bigger screen tthough.

comes with 100 gigs and does record straight from the tv is wanted. it can also be used as an external flash hard drive.

it plays avi files with mp3 audio. make sure to switch over to hard drive mode if you upload files onto it though.

look it up. its pretty awesome.. ive had it 3 months now and still use it everyday

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, the AV500 with the smaller hard drive is likely what I will be getting. With all the accessories and the incredible ease of use of the iPod I was hoping I would be able to go that route and that would make my wife happier since she is the one who would be using it most of the time. Since it seems that this generation of iPod is NOT truly video friendly, I will look elsewhere and the AV500 is the unit I was drawn to.

Thanks! Seems weird that in a week nobody around here seemed to know much about the iPod - I figured there would be a few more people with them. ;)

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
archos is better than an ipod. only downfall is its heavyier and slightly bigger.

you can impliment the archos into your ht or anywhere. it has a remote so you can just use it as a dvr, and you can even program it (if you have a vcr or cable box) to record during the times of your favorite shows.

i have the 100 gig one so it hols a huge amount of media, but i would have got a bigger drive if they had one.

it has a microphone too if you need to record anything. its surprisingly very easy to use as well. Almost moreso than the ipod.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis