iPhone, Gadget of the Year - But Has Apple Sold Out?

K

kcarlile

Audiophyte
I have to admit, when I hear the words "permanently disabled", I think of something completely non-recoverable. Like you basically just can recycle it.

There are a number of operations that you can do that make it difficult but not impossible to recover. For example deleting the system directory of the OS or flashing the BIOS with crap firmware (which can really suck).

If Apple is saying that hacks might nuke the OS and cause your iPhone to cease working that kinda falls in the "no duh" category of hacking. Tough luck to you, you will find zero sympathy from me. Most OSes don't really like it when you replace their key files with user-modded files.

However, I would expect that for a reasonable tech support fee, they should be able to wipe it clean and give you a shiny new system install.

I suspect as someone said, that this is as much a tough posture because of their current corporate relationship. I highly doubt they have tried to lock this OS down as much as people think. Personally, I think they are hoping folks will find workarounds but they can't make it too easy or appear too supportive.
I'd say that you're pretty much on the money. Here's some points:

1. Apple does not force the update. But if you buy a phone now, it's got the update. The currently updated phones can be unlocked (although it's more difficult now.)

2. There are at least a few ways to "unbrick" the iPhone.

3. If they wanted to kill the unlocked phones, would they have really warned people about it?

4. Why should Apple spend the time and money to preemptively ensure that their firmware will not be broken by any number of different hacks to unlock the phone?

5. Just so everyone's clear here, unlocking <> jailbreaking. Jailbreaking to install apps seems to be fine by Apple, but since the jailbreaking methods exploit vulnerabilities in the OS, it's likely that jailbroken phones will not survive an upgrade.

6. The upgrade process removes all data on the phone (including the OS) and then resyncs it--that's why the apps are gone.

7. Anyone who says they hate a company and will never buy something from it (and then has to tell everyone about it!) is pretty much the same as a fanboi. I like to call them antibois. Personally, I'm an antiboi for Bose.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
This thread is another great example of "If Apple does it, it's OK." If any other manufacturer threatened to break your product, you'd be all up and arms about it - whether or not you owned one. It's wrong. You know it's wrong. It may not apply to you but it is wrong. Forcing people to use AT&T (which, in my experience has some of the worst coverage and CS I've ever experienced) is a financial choice that Apple made but being able to unlock a phone for use on another service is (by law) OK. Only a small percentage of people are going to do it anyhow and yet Apple has to try and take that power out of their hands. Don't "yawn" at people that are pointing out an obvious injustice.
Tom, nobody is forced to buy the product. As long as the consumer understands the product and the rules, then it is their choice. Personally, I wouldn't buy the product or even use it if someone gave it to me. But they can design it as they choose, manage it as they choose and partner with whomever they choose. The consumer's decision to buy is really the final arbiter of the whole issue.

J

jlo.veys

Audiophyte
Big Brother or Cool Sister ?

Here in Belgium we are the only European country where it is illegal
to sell a mobile phone with an obligatory provider, so the i-phone release is
delayed until ... Many people bought the phone in the States and are using it
cracked, knowing that any computer update will put it out of use.
The common talk about this is that in a society of freedom of choose it is
an inacceptable way of acting and very few people will buy this gadget because it is contrary to democracy, as good this device can be.
And it is not so good, because it bugs often and the calendar is way below
the windows mobile, I know what I talk about because I am a medical doctor and take all my appointments via cell phone agenda.
The i-phone is OK for internet, i-tunes is another rip-of.
If you connect i-tunes your cracked i-phone is ok for garbage !!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis