Intelligent Design ruling

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Khellandros66 said:
I am not a relegious person however, I believe that in using tools (bible), preaching (teaching morality) and conserving the comman good of people is the truest aspect of religion..
Strange, I would find the truest aspect of an honest religion is to control others. The original religions had nothing to do with morality, they had to do with governing people through instilling fear and controlling the gate of heaven - or the wrath of 'God(s)'.

I find this to continue to be true as most churches, hold at their core, that the ONLY way to achieve heaven is not through being good, but by believing in their religion. Being good is most definitely taught behind fear of the all-powerful. I have heard this from numerous churches, and numerous church goers. It is not about good - it is about having faith or going to Hell.

So, withoug commenting on God, or Jesus, or even ALL religions, I try to avoid religions in general.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BMXTRIX said:
Strange, I would find the truest aspect of an honest religion is to control others. The original religions had nothing to do with morality, they had to do with governing people through instilling fear and controlling the gate of heaven - or the wrath of 'God(s)'.

I find this to continue to be true as most churches, hold at their core, that the ONLY way to achieve heaven is not through being good, but by believing in their religion. Being good is most definitely taught behind fear of the all-powerful. I have heard this from numerous churches, and numerous church goers. It is not about good - it is about having faith or going to Hell.

Yes, they had to control the masses somehow. Absolute power. One only has to look at history, not that far back what powers religion had over people. Today, we can think without fear, mostly and elect to go a different route without reprisal:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Buckeyefan 1 said:
I do remember that documentary. It seemed to me like it was not the actual brother of Jesus, as they did say there were many men named Jesus at the time. Most likely, it could have been a forgery by the way the letters were chiseled.

The inscription read ""James. . . Son of Joseph. . . Brother of Jesus." The odds were slim that it wasn't Jesus, but the entire episode shouldn't have any bearing on whether Jesus actually existed and died on the cross.

Save that for all the crying statues and condensation of Mary on windowpanes (which are pretty cool to say the least). The Catholic Church investigates most of those episodes, and claims them as false.

Yes, exactly. I lost that word in that post but that ossuary was forged, proven to be. Someone wanted that to prove the Biblical Jesus. And as you remember, Jesus was a common name back then, back in that area. So how can one specific Jesus of the Bible be proven with credible evidence???

What that program pointed out is the commonality of Jesus, hence the much difficulty of proving the one.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mtrycrafts said:
What that program pointed out is the commonality of Jesus, hence the much difficulty of proving the one.
Many programs like that usually have a bit of bias. The ones I like are the two guys from MIT??? (I think they're also special effects guys for big movies) on a show called "Myth Busters." Now that's interesting stuff. ;)

R

Revelator

Enthusiast
Enough with this tread already!

I’d like to leave this thread with one last comment about this completely tiresome debate by first defining two simple terms and then discussing my views on each of them and how they apply to the current trends in this Country.

Dictionary Definitions

Main Entry: fun•da•men•tal•ism
Function: noun
1 a often capitalized: a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching b : the beliefs of this movement c : adherence to such beliefs
2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles
- fun•da•men•tal•ist - noun
- fundamentalist or fun•da•men•tal•is•tic - adjective

Main Entry: Evangelical
Function: noun
1 Belonging to or designating Christian churches that emphasize the teachings and authority of the scriptures, especially of the New Testament, in opposition to the institutional authority of the church itself, and the stress as paramount the tenet that salvation is achieved by personal conversion to faith in the atonement of Christ; or
2 Designation Christians, especially of the late 1970s, eschewing the designation of fundamentalist but holding to a conservative interpretation of the Bible.

True evangelicals are committed to be a strong global mission to share their Christian faith will all other people, without discrimination. They fulfill the mandate of Jesus Christ either by their own personal witnessing or through supporting others through believing in religious freedom, compassion for unbelievers, and respect for all persons as inherently equal before God. Baptists, for example, follow evangelical based Christian values such as autonomy for each local church, with decisions made by a vote of its baptized members. Evangelicals are empowered only to serve others, by alleviating suffering and espousing truth, forgiveness and love. They also uphold the values of this Country by acknowledging the separation of church and state.

By crossing this critical barrier with attempts to pass laws such as stopping gay marriage, stopping freedom of choice, attempting to enforce the teaching of one specific faith system such as applying Christian’s belief in Creationism, it's easy to apply the first definitions of fundamentalist to those who desire such laws to be passed.

Fundamentalists are typically very one sided on issues concerning Christianity especially when it comes to Old Testament and the Hebrew Scriptures. An example can be witnessed at their tendencies to break the barrier between the separation of church and state through the examples found at the beginning of this paragraph.

It is not an attack on a particular political party, but more of an easy application of the true definitions of evangelicals and fundamentalists. It is certain that not all people and Government officials of either political party to be one or the other, however the past 6 years have shown a growing trend of the current administration and those who follow it intently of tilting toward fundamentalist values defined in the definition above.

The original purpose of this thread was merely to discuss the fundamentalist’s belief of enforcing Creationism (with their sudo-term of "Intelligent Design") in public schools especially when considering most other religious faiths with their own Creationism beliefs are found in every public school across this country. This action clearly brakes to barrier of church and state and it also goes against God's clear scriptural desire for His people to be evangelicals and not Fundamentalists.

By desiring only one of the many Creation beliefs in a public school and ignoring all other faiths Creation beliefs, the people and elected government officials who are guided down this path can be defined as a fundamentalists and are therefore completely contradiction their own Christian values. Furthermore, all polls show that the majority of people in this country, ie, the voters, do NOT favor fundamentalists approaches to our freedom based society, therefore these very same elected officials are violating their voting and non-voting public who appointed them to office. Even many Republicans are against fundamentalism therefore the small minority of leaders who are attempting to enforce these values are not even following their own party.

This thread was NOT originally created to dispute or debunk Creationism and Evolution but it turned out that way sadly with Clint's attack on Evolution and his intolerance of allowing each and every Creationistic belief system to be taught in public schools, not as science, but through philosophical terms perhaps in elective classes. It is therefore clear that he and others who desire Christian’s Creationism and only Christian’s Creationism to be in public schools are following the accepted definition of fundamentalists thus the likely reason for the attacks made toward Christianity and Evolution.

This will be my very last post on this tread as I am completely sickened by the off track discussions and the one way or other way as being completely right or wrong. In reality, since no one has actually witnessed the creation of the earth and the universe, each of these beliefs albeit sciences or faith, require us all to uphold some sort of faith based belief. It is NOT wrong to put your faith in science or in Christ. What is wrong is the one sided thinking by both parties and especially the totally off track thinking of the fundamentalists who belief that Christian’s Creationism should be the only other system taught in science class.

Audioholics Management should consider closing this tread as most of the posts here have become repetitious and argument based and have not even stayed on the original comment of the first post. Clint, you should also consider backing off of your fundamentalist continued debate over Creationism, not because it's right or wrong, but because it seems that you are now jeopardizing your reputation of science and engineering based product reviews. Perhaps you should also focus back on being an Evangelical Christian and practice what you follow.

Good by to all on this tread and hopefully we can find another topic to discuss that is perhaps less controversial.

Peace Out.

Revelator

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Revelator - you're funny. You ask to close this thread with you being the last word. You say such rediculous things as "This action clearly brakes to barrier of church and state and it also goes against God's clear scriptural desire for His people to be evangelicals and not Fundamentalists."

Give me a break.

Maybe it is you who are losing credibility with that last post. ;)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....and, one last thought....thank goodness, enough of you, have read enough of The Bible, to recognize where our society is heading....Yay, Clint....somebody oughta' pull a string at this here site, and get him into management.....RipVanBlownWoofer, whatcha' think?.....huh?.....

majorloser

majorloser

mulester7 said:
.....and, one last thought....thank goodness, enough of you, have read enough of The Bible, to recognize where our society is heading....Yay, Clint....somebody oughta' pull a string at this here site, and get him into management.....RipVanBlownWoofer, whatcha' think?.....huh?.....
KISS A$$ :p

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
majorloser said:
.....Buddy, I've smooched some of the best of 'em, haha....it are what's called being diplowmatik......

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Buckeyefan 1 said:
Many programs like that usually have a bit of bias. The ones I like are the two guys from MIT??? (I think they're also special effects guys for big movies) on a show called "Myth Busters." Now that's interesting stuff. ;)

While the CBS had this program, don't remember it, Skeptical Inquirer had a write up and analysis of the evidence by experts in the field. The consensus is that there was forgery, added carvings on the box.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Supernatural forces very possibly do exist in nature. After all, what we can perceive with our senses is a very limited subset of physical reality (our brains simply don't possess the processing capability to process all these sensor data, so we filter them). But that does not preclude the possibility that one day we will be able to explain them.

Humans at this stage of our evolutionary history is by no means the end product. We are very likely at the very beginning of our evolutionary path.

Just take a look at our bodies, we are very poorly adapted for life in space. Our body parts are not easily interchangeable. Even though we do have the capacity for regeneration, they are limited. How convenient it would be just to swap out the old parts with new ones? And our bodies are very fragile, we can only live in a very narrow range of environmental conditions. Beyond these limited conditions, we have to rely on external life support.

And our brain, our most prized feature, is by no means the be it all end it all thinking machine we have come to believe. If we can write the very neural circuitry that is the basis for memory, imagine the years of schooling we can all spare ourselves. And one day it may even be possible to preserve our minds inside artificial constructs.

Telekenesis, telephathy, extra sensory perception, etc., they may all be possible. It may just be our present understanding of the physical world just cannot explain these phenomenon. But just because we cannot explain them, does not mean that we have to ascribe them to the supernatural.

After all, with our airplanes, lasers, internal combustion engines, we might as well be "gods" to people of prehistoric times.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
furrycute said:
Supernatural forces very possibly do exist in nature. After all, what we can perceive with our senses is a very limited subset of physical reality (our brains simply don't possess the processing capability to process all these sensor data, so we filter them). But that does not preclude the possibility that one day we will be able to explain them................

Telekenesis, telephathy, extra sensory perception, etc., they may all be possible. It may just be our present understanding of the physical world just cannot explain these phenomenon. But just because we cannot explain them, does not mean that we have to ascribe them to the supernatural.
And before you know it, people will swear they can hear differences between cables and other audio jewelry.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Mudcat said:
And before you know it, people will swear they can hear differences between cables and other audio jewelry.
That's a good one.:D

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Uh oh! This thread is starting to get dirty. Better shut it down. Go Revelator!

Yep, shutter down before 322 posts....

SheepStar
Sheep,

You need to revive your thread somehow. Do a bunch of "bumps". You know, you're not helping the cause - you have a bunch of posts here. ;)

Go evolution!

BTW, they never pushed intelligent design in Catholic schools. We were actually taught evolution in middle school.

Does anyone know if other private Christain schools refrain from teaching evolution in science classes? I know colleges like Baylor avoid it, but how about grade school/high school.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Sheep,

You need to revive your thread somehow. Do a bunch of "bumps". You know, you're not helping the cause - you have a bunch of posts here. ;)

Go evolution!

BTW, they never pushed intelligent design in Catholic schools. We were actually taught evolution in middle school.

Does anyone know if other private Christain schools refrain from teaching evolution in science classes? I know colleges like Baylor avoid it, but how about grade school/high school.
This is totally off topic, but will enhance the thread's post count. Sorry Sheepstar. But it is mildly related to religion, vis a vis Notre Dame.

NICE GOING BUCKEYES! :)

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Famous!

Here's another off-topic thingy:

In my time here, I have come to suspect that Buckeye is the name of a team in America (NFL?/Baseball?/Basketball?). I thought I'd google it before actually asking Buckeyefan1 since I know there's been threads in the past about folk who don't research before asking.

Did you know that if you google 'Buckeyefan', you'll jump to Buckeyefan1's profile?!

Buckeyefan1! You're famous! :eek:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Buckle-meister said:
Here's another off-topic thingy:

In my time here, I have come to suspect that Buckeye is the name of a team in America (NFL?/Baseball?/Basketball?). I thought I'd google it before actually asking Buckeyefan1 since I know there's been threads in the past about folk who don't research before asking.

Did you know that if you google 'Buckeyefan', you'll jump to Buckeyefan1's profile?!

Buckeyefan1! You're famous! :eek:
Oh, man, that can't be good. I better lighten up my profile before I become a target of a serial killer (like a Michigan or Notre Dame fan)!

BTW, we beat Notre Dame last night. Buckle - that's college football here in the states. It's almost as big as hockey in Canada or soccer in Europe (especially if you're in a college town).

I take it you don't get the NCAA Football feeds out in your area?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2278027

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bowls/2006-01-02-fiesta_x.htm

http://www.suntimes.com/output/campus/cst-spt-ndnt03.html

I was a pretty happy man last night. A bit of a hangover this morning.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
rjbudz said:
This is totally off topic, but will enhance the thread's post count. Sorry Sheepstar. But it is mildly related to religion, vis a vis Notre Dame.

LOL. Ever see this Buckle?
"Touchdown Jesus" looking over Notre Dame's playing field...

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
rjbudz said:

Touchdown Jesus

Aside from many funny lines in Major League 1 was:

"Are you saying Jesus couldn't hit a curve ball?"

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Buckeyefan 1 said:
I take it you don't get the NCAA Football feeds out in your area?
I couldn't tell you. I rarely watch tv and don't have satellite in any event (just terrestrial). With tv, I find that it's very difficult to do anything else. It's like it chains you to it ('cause of the picture I guess). With music, you can still listen as you get on with other stuff...like typing replies to people thousands of miles away.

Buckeyefan 1 said:
Ever see this Buckle?
No I hadn't. I'm probably setting myself up for abuse here, but I used to be into American Football many years ago when I was going through school. My team was the 49ers (around the time of Joe Montana/Gerry Rice etc), my old mans was the New England Patriots.

In fact, the only bone in my body that I've broke was from playing it (without any protection whatsoever :rolleyes: ) with mates. One side punted. Up went the ball, nobody else was going for it so I caught it and started returning it back up the 'field' (used somewhat loosely here), got tackled and then had everyone, including my own side proceed to jump on top of me. :mad: Youths eh?! :D Anyway, as a result I broke my clavicle (collar bone).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis