Integrated amplifier recommendation for the first time buyer

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
If you are not in a rush, I have submitted one of these amps to Amir at Audiosciencereview.com for measurement.
However it will be another ~5 weeks before he gets to it, and I would want measurements before I could recommend it!
It is only rated 150W into 8 Ohms, but 270W into 4 Ohms, which leads me to think it may handle the resistive loads of Magnepans well. But I want measurements!

If you are interested, keep an eye on this link. I will be sure to post a link to the review when it is done!
I will keep an eye on it. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My 675 does not have a pre-outs. I think thread became very long and we digressed from my original question. Allow me to re-phrase the question: I have a pair CBM-170 speakers, and no amplifier. What amplifier would you recommend for this speakers.
Thought it was for Magnepans? The Ascends should be driven easily by most any amp....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My 675 does not have a pre-outs. I think thread became very long and we digressed from my original question. Allow me to re-phrase the question: I have a pair CBM-170 speakers, and no amplifier. What amplifier would you recommend for this speakers.
Are you going to use it with a sub, and do you intend to use 4 ohm speakers? If you answer that we can easily answer your question.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Are you sure that the red and white RCA terminals labeled "AV outs" (just to the left of "Zone 2 out") cannot be used as pre-amp outputs? They cannot per TLSGuy's post below!

So, you are not concerned with driving he Magnepans?
If not, I would expect the 675 to do as fine of a job as any $500 amp. However, if you are simply determined to get an integrated amp for the CBM-170's you don't need anything special.
AT $500, if you are willing to go with a stereo receiver:

For a Integrated amp, this one is $419 reconditioned (or you can pay $550 for a new one):

Neither of these will do a very good job with integrating a subwoofer!

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Are you sure that the red and white RCA terminals labeled "AV outs" (just to the left of "Zone 2 out") cannot be used as pre-amp outputs?

So, you are not concerned with driving he Magnepans?
If not, I would expect the 675 to do as fine of a job as any $500 amp. However, if you are simply determined to get an integrated amp for the CBM-170's you don't need anything special.
AT $500, if you are willing to go with a stereo receiver:

For a Integrated amp, this one is $419 reconditioned (or you can pay $550 for a new one):

Neither of these will do a very good job with integrating a subwoofer!
I'm sure, those outs are for an old VCR. They will NOT be controlled by the volume control, but have constant output.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis