Integrated Amp discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Some of you folks really feel strongly about this. So here's what you should do:

Forget everything I said. You've convinced me.

Petition all of the illustrious amp manufacturers to drop their AB products and introduce Class D topologies across their entire line up.

You can start at the top, with Mc and Bryston. Then work your way through the others. It will be easy.

Go directly to AB manufacturers and get in touch with their engineers. Start a new thread here. Invite them to participate. Throw that gauntlet down. Use every means at your disposal, including reducing global warming and energy use, to convince them how very, very wrong they are.

I'm looking forward to following your success on these pages, so I can choose my moment to buy up all the New Old/Obsolete Stock from the world's best amplifier manufacturers at ten cents on the dollar. I will control the nursing home market and be able to afford those hair plugs I will surely need in the years ahead.

Now go. You are the world. You are the future.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some of you folks really feel strongly about this. So here's what you should do:

Forget everything I said.

Petition all of the illustrious AB amp manufacturers to drop their AB products and adopt Class D across their entire line up. After all, if they are superior, it only makes sense.

You can start at the top, with Mc and Bryston. Then work your way through the others.

Go directly to AB manufacturers and get in touch with their engineers. Start a new thread here. Invite them to participate. Throw that gauntlet down. Use every means at your disposal, including reducing global warming and energy use.

I'm sure the ensuing discussion will be quite illuminating for anyone living in the past.

Looking forward to following your success on these pages, so I can buy up all the New Old/Obsolete Stock from the world's best amplifier manufacturers at ten cents on the dollar.

Now go. You are the world. You are the future.
LOL. Now who's butt hurt....by amp classes of all silly things to have an "allegiance" to :) Bel Canto, ATI and a few other "high end" amp makers have very nice class D power amp offerings. Its still just a power amp, too....these days there's not a lot of magic there in the larger sense either. McIntosh and their output transformers aren't exactly a good technical reason for class AB, are they? Hey, tube amps are available, too. Pick your poison. Just saying you don't have it down on class D offerings....

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Not h
LOL. Now who's butt hurt....by amp classes of all silly things to have an "allegiance" to :) Bel Canto, ATI and a few other "high end" amp makers have very nice class D power amp offerings. Its still just a power amp, too....these days there's not a lot of magic there in the larger sense either. McIntosh and their output transformers aren't exactly a good technical reason for class AB, are they? Hey, tube amps are available, too. Pick your poison. Just saying you don't have it down on class D offerings....
Not hurt at all. For once I was blind and now I can see.

Sorry not to write my pledge of allegiance ATT but got to go. Am scouring the internet for Class D amps. Need one before the amp policia come knocking on my door to check my bona fides.

Viva la Revolucion!

https://www.valuewalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/soft-revolution.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was this what it was like during transitions of tube to solid state and class A "compromise" with class B? :)

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
It was exactly like this, Comrade Overlord lovinthehd. That WAS a revolution that took 20 years but pockets of resistance remain.

I was young and foolish then. Now I am old and foolisher, a remain revolutionary in my heart.

The counter-revolution and will be much quicker. I know it will, Comrade. I can feel the energy.

I know we're not ready. Forget the history of revolution and technology. We will be the first to launch early AND win.

The future is ours... I mean yours. ( I'm old after all and will not live to see the glorious sunrise.)

Viva la Revolucion!

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I had a T+A Powerplant with Class D amplification. They were touting their own PWM modules (not to be confused with B&O's ICE). I read some great reviews and bit the bullet (a dealer was selling a demo unit for 1/3 the price). Right before I bought it, I had purchased a used Thule integrated (AB) that arrived damaged. Once it was fixed, I compared the two and it was no contest - the Thule thumped the T+A in every way, but the Powerplant was "new" and I felt some weird obligation to keep it. Out went the Thule. I never liked the T+A, no matter how hard I tried - even though it had gobs of power, it was too "soft", not incisive at all. I think the engineers who designed it were trying to compensate for their Class D's "digititis" or something and maybe rolled off the top end - I could not tell you. Anyway, that was ten years ago and digital amplification has come a long way. I have recently listened to Linn's Selekt DSM (Class-D amplification) and it is outstanding in every way (expensive too).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I had a T+A Powerplant with Class D amplification. They were touting their own PWM modules (not to be confused with B&O's ICE). I read some great reviews and bit the bullet (a dealer was selling a demo unit for 1/3 the price). Right before I bought it, I had purchased a used Thule integrated (AB) that arrived damaged. Once it was fixed, I compared the two and it was no contest - the Thule thumped the T+A in every way, but the Powerplant was "new" and I felt some weird obligation to keep it. Out went the Thule. I never liked the T+A, no matter how hard I tried - even though it had gobs of power, it was too "soft", not incisive at all. I think the engineers who designed it were trying to compensate for their Class D's "digititis" or something and maybe rolled off the top end - I could not tell you. Anyway, that was ten years ago and digital amplification has come a long way. I have recently listened to Linn's Selekt DSM (Class-D amplification) and it is outstanding in every way (expensive too).
Well class D isn't digital....just a letter in the alphabet. Maybe that 1/3 price was a bigger hint as to the quality of the amp? You compared amps rather than amp classes in any case....

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Well class D isn't digital....just a letter in the alphabet. Maybe that 1/3 price was a bigger hint as to the quality of the amp? You compared amps rather than amp classes in any case....
But the DSP overseeing it is digital. But that doesn't matter because truth is a ploy that AB listeners use to spread the poison that stains the souls of the sisters and brothers of the revolution.

Quantization error? Burn through? Non-linearity. Lies, scurrilous lies.

Here are more lies from AB filth, comrades. Don't read this. It's meant to shake your faith in the cause. None of it true. Lies. All lies.

https://www.whathifi.com/features/old-amplifier-vs-new-amplifier-which-is-better

Viva la revolucion!

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Oh yes, I understand that the 'D' does not stand for digital and loosely used the word "digititis" as it has been penned in (not very good) reviews in the past. T+A was trying to get a foothold in the US at the time and no one was biting, hence the dealer's frustration and sale at a (perceived) great price. I saw that I was getting a $2800 integrated (with the optional $100 remote and IR receiver thrown in!)for less than a grand. Build quality was fantastic in every way except where it counted - the sound. Lesson learned... :confused:

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Hey guys - to block a member, I click on "ignore", correct? Will I see responses from the user in other's responses or will I see odd, out of context responses? Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, just ignore me and you'll just get a message that there's post(s) from an ignored member. :) (and still an option to read them if you wish).

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
Filth is whathifi usually...
Keep the faith. Dismiss that which isn't in line with the DDoctrine, our secret system of thought that guides the hands of the revolution.

They'll be an extra sack of rice placed outside the huts of true believers tonight. Spread the word using Class D amplification to make your voices heard.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Keep the faith. Dismiss that which isn't in line with the DDoctrine, our secret system of thought that guides the hands of the revolution.

They'll be an extra sack of rice placed outside the huts of true believers tonight. Spread the word using Class D amplification to make your voices heard.
You're weird, I like it. Whathifi has what of value to offer? Certainly not their forums....the few subjective articles I've seen there....meh. If that's your preference, that's cool. Just makes you weirder.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Hey guys - to block a member, I click on "ignore", correct? Will I see responses from the user in other's responses or will I see odd, out of context responses? Thanks!
In my experience ignored member can still send a message which I found even more annoying. You'll also experience some weird stuff from time to time like a member appearing to bicker with himself as you'll see only one side to the story.:D

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Everyone, I'd like to ask for something more definitive on the ClassD, can we have that?! You know I usually don't care for ones personal taste, but do these D's spoil SQ or not?

I'll have you know I gave up on this little dandy:
1550739321107.png

Because it was common knowledge here that ClassD has problems (it was 2 years ago so don't give me development:)). Do they work fine now or not? I really like the idea of 100Wpch into 8 in a shoe box and smaller. I also don't like extra heating during summer as I'm always hot.

There's a successor now:
1550739677984.png

And it is a: Integrated Amplifier with 192kHz USB Audio Input, Bluetooth Receiver, High Performance DAC and Headphone Amplifier. (and to answer your question; YES, If I were a CD-Player I'd date this amp)

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
It's all in the implementation.
I agree completely. This statement holds true for many things in the world of audio.
THIS ARTICLE refers to the implementation which Cyrus uses in their class D amps. Using a linear power supply and a circuit which detects speaker impedance on start up and adjusting amp output accordingly, Class D is not what it once was. These small, half sized box Class D amps produce excellent sound quality.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If Crown, ATI, Bel Canto's not digital enough for you, try Lyngdorf's.:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis