install impedance match stereo audio volume control with multiple pairs of speakers

E

evilgenius42

Audiophyte
I am trying to connect 2 pairs of speakers to a volume control. I can see in the setup guide that you can connect the 2 pairs and I have set the jumpers appropriately for 2 pairs of speakers, but there is only one pair out from the volume control. I have made myself a y slitter with 16 awg speaker cable and it seems to work ok, but I'm not sure if this is the most ideal setup. Is there considered a proper way to do this, or some box I should be getting in between? This is for an unfinished basement that has only been framed so I want to make sure to do it right the first time while I still have easy access to everything.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I am trying to connect 2 pairs of speakers to a volume control. I can see in the setup guide that you can connect the 2 pairs and I have set the jumpers appropriately for 2 pairs of speakers, but there is only one pair out from the volume control. I have made myself a y slitter with 16 awg speaker cable and it seems to work ok, but I'm not sure if this is the most ideal setup. Is there considered a proper way to do this, or some box I should be getting in between? This is for an unfinished basement that has only been framed so I want to make sure to do it right the first time while I still have easy access to everything.
Listing all gear, make and model, helps with responses FWIW.

E

evilgenius42

Audiophyte
The Volume control is a Omage ATS150-W, receiver is an marantz sr5300, and the speakers are 2 pairs of russound rsf-610 ceiling speakers

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I saw a case recently where someone who was using two pairs of speakers kept burning out the transformers in the volume control. My speculation was that using two pairs of speakers was demanding more power from the amplifier, which was then exceeding the transformer’s power rating. If the plan is low background music levels you should be fine. But, it may not have a happy ending if this is supposed to be a “party system.”

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

E

evilgenius42

Audiophyte
It is meant for low levels background music. As the volume control has setting for 1-8 pairs of speakers I would imagine as long as I set it properly it should be able to handle it. I am more concerned on the quality as I am having the output for 2 speakers coming out of 1 cable(only for a few inches then goes to 2 separate cables).

E

evilgenius42

Audiophyte
Ultimately if this is not the ideal setup what would be?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis