Insignia NSB-2111 Bookshelf Speakers

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Peel & Seal is also great for leaky gutters. It's impossible to get off your hands, so be careful not to get too much sticky roof tar when you peel the foil back. You can buy the material at any roofing supply wholesaler for under $10, so the leftovers can be used at your leaky gutter mitre joints. ;)

http://www.homeandbeyond.com/prod-0083809.html

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
WmAx said:
Most speakers benefit from the modifications I have suggested. Cost of adding these materials appears to be prohibited in a mass produced situation where cost cutting is critical. The mass loaded damping material(Peel N' Seal) is available at any Lowe's store. The acoustic damping material I recommend for maximum/optimum effect is not usually available at consumer outlets and/or in small quantity. I will send the acoustic damping material to anyone who needs it for a token cost($2-$10 depending on the size of the speakers, relating to the amount of material required) plus actual USPS parcel shipping.

-Chris
Thanks Chris for the response. I may take you up on the acoustic damping material. First thing I want to do is take a look inside the Studio 20's and see what's there.

Nick

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Buck,

The link you provided is for 4.75"x10' roll. Lowes carries a 6"x25' roll for $13 and change (at least here in Michigan). I would still recommend buying it locally.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
jaxvon said:
Buck,

The link you provided is for 4.75"x10' roll. Lowes carries a 6"x25' roll for $13 and change (at least here in Michigan). I would still recommend buying it locally.
Great deal, and nice find. You can also slop real roof tar into a speaker cabinet for excellent damping. It's dirt cheap, and really seals off the world around it.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Huh?

Buckeyefan 1 said:
Great deal, and nice find. You can also slop real roof tar into a speaker cabinet for excellent damping. It's dirt cheap, and really seals off the world around it.
Dumb question, did you mean that sarcastically or does it actually work?:confused: (Sounds like kinda like bs to me, the particularly messy kind;) )

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Jack Hammer said:
Dumb question, did you mean that sarcastically or does it actually work?:confused: (Sounds like kinda like bs to me, the particularly messy kind;) )
I believe he meant that.

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
No, it would actually work, but be quite messy. Sorry if I came off flippant. I didn't mean to. :)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Would putting peal and seal in a sealed cabinet make a difference? I have HHT 1.5 bookshelfs, when I did the knuckle rap test it was the dullest thud I had ever heard, kind of like the sound you would hear if you knock on a solid oak 4"x4".:)

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I'm back in Sioux Falls tonite; when I moved to Watertown I neglected to register in whatever-the-hell-county I'm in now. So I had to come home to vote. So I stopped by Best Buy and looked at the Insignias. I must say I'm impressed by them. I didn't have the chance to listen to them tonite, but the build quality & heft is remarkable for $50! Even though I need another pair of speakers like a submarine needs a screen door, I just might pick a pair up tomorrow before I head back to Watertown.

I work with a guy that wants to pick up some decent speakers but doesn't want to spend more than $300. Sadly, the poor bastard was planning on some B(l)ose 301s!:eek: It would be good to be able to recommend something for even the tightest tightwad, and if they sound 1/2 as good as they look the Insignias might just be it.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would definitly put the Insignias up against the 301's.:D

Matt34

Matt34

Hey Buckeye, just picked up a pair of these this afternoon(BB had two sets left). Overall, not very impressed so far. The mids are too much for me and the highs are not there, maybe I'm just used to BICs and prefer the horn loaded tweeters? I threw in my wife's James Blunt CD and it sounds like he is singing through a paper sack. I thought maybe it was because I was running them off my zone two amps on the HK 330 but even with them plugged into the mains they sound off.
Secondly, one of them has a rattle to it and I'm pretty sure it's the driver. I don't know yet if I'll exchange them for the other set and just use them out in the living room for background music or just get my money back.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Matt you messy fella. Clean up! My room looks like a$$ but at least I keep it tiddy. :D

SheepStar

Matt34

Matt34

I went ahead and exchanged them for another set. I have them hooked up to a Sherwood RX-4109 stereo receiver I picked up at the pawn shop for $35!($100 at Radio Shack right now.) This set sounds much better, vocals are much clearer and there is no rattle. I am also using an Audiosource EQ I've had for 7-8yrs hooked it up to tweek the sound a bit. Also have my cheap old Pioneer "subwoofer" running the Insignia through the line outs and have it crossover at 100hz.

Not bad for a bedroom setup for under $90.

Sheep,

The theater room is still "under construction". We touched up the paint and I was going to clean up the wires but that didn't happen and probably won't until I get back in April. I did break down and got another Tivo box from Direct TV, which to my surprise didn't charge us anything except shipping. I'm hooking up my spare Direct TV box temporarily so we can watch the UFC pay-per-view this Saturday on the big screen.;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Are you going to mod them? You can get some stuff from WmAx that will make them sound way better

SheepStar

Matt34

Matt34

Sheep said:
Are you going to mod them? You can get some stuff from WmAx that will make them sound way better

SheepStar
I might but not right now.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I figured that was what you were using it for, as it had a little yellow cable connected on the front.

That thing is $400:eek:, sure it is worth it.?

Matt34

Matt34

Seth=L said:
I figured that was what you were using it for, as it had a little yellow cable connected on the front.

That thing is $400:eek:, sure it is worth it.?
Well, I'll shop around for a better deal but that's the first one I found.

Sorry for the Hi-jack Buckeye.:eek:

Back to the speakers.....

I have Allison Krauss playing now and am really warming up to these speakers. I keep having to keep remind myself I only payed $50 for them. I am now positive that the first set I bought were defective.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis