lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Containers from China are very expensive now.

Before one would be around $3,000-$5,000

They are now around $20,000
Hmmm, will check that out with a friend of mine who hasn't retired yet, all the figures look too high. Where did you get this info? (am a former customs broker/int'l freight forwarder).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I work in global supply chain.
Holy crap, I know I've been retired for a while but holy crap that's a lot! I asked him anyways, he's been selling container space for container carriers for his whole life (his dad started the first NVOCC)....he's working for a forwarder/nvocc now.

M

MikoDee

Audiophyte
I met Gary Yacoubian about two years ago at an event, and I asked him if SVS would ever build speakers in the US, and it was a hard no. I think they're raising prices because the cost per pound to ship from China is way up and some of their subs weigh 200 pounds.
I ordered a pair of PC-4K’s before the price increase. I was surprised to see on the box “made in Chi-Com” I was under the impression these were American made…

welp, now they are $400 more then what I paid, I might have to unload them and get some American made products…

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I just noticed Ascend Acoustics raised some prices too... Sierra towers went up $300/pr and the HTM 200SEs got bumped too. Once again, I'm sure glad I got mine when I did!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So I just noticed Ascend Acoustics raised some prices too... Sierra towers went up $300/pr and the HTM 200SEs got bumped too. Once again, I'm sure glad I got mine when I did!
I wonder if bamboo sourcing is still a problem? But this doesn’t surprise me one bit, sadly.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder if bamboo sourcing is still a problem? But this doesn’t surprise me one bit, sadly.
No idea, but he seems to be shipping orders still. I posted a thread on their forums about this and Dave did pop in there. Stuff is going up across the board, but he bought up and stockpiled a bunch of parts before a lot of poop hit the fan and hasn't had to do anything too drastic yet. Tho unless he has a US maker for the cabs I can definitely see it becoming a big problem. Even if he does have a US manufacturer (I think he might for some of the bamboo cabs) I imagine they still have to import the raw bamboo.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
No idea, but he seems to be shipping orders still. I posted a thread on their forums about this and Dave did pop in there. Stuff is going up across the board, but he bought up and stockpiled a bunch of parts before a lot of poop hit the fan and hasn't had to do anything too drastic yet. Tho unless he has a US maker for the cabs I can definitely see it becoming a big problem. Even if he does have a US manufacturer (I think he might for some of the bamboo cabs) I imagine they still have to import the raw bamboo.
Dennis and Internova ordered in enough 8" Revelators to fill the current batch as well as the next two batches of BMR Towers. Of course, they still have the cabinets shipped from overseas for final assembly here.
(Apparently, that was the single largest order for those Drivers ever at Scan Speak! And Dennis and Internova are still waiting on them to come in.)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
For those of you who don't believe supply is a problem, I recommend that you call the manufacturers or distributors of AV equipment and ask what they have in stock, when they'll get it, how many and for them to guarantee the price for 60 days. Go ahead, we'll wait. They have no idea about the last three- I often hear laughter when I ask about certain products because it's well known in the industry that NOTHING is the way it was before COVID and the effing shutdown of so many industries. I bought some wood trim this morning that previously had cost about $1/foot. Two 13' pieces cost $64 and I got the builder discount- lumber prices have fallen, too. Get a quote for the lumber list to build a house- it will make your eyes roll back in your head- people who are remodeling are salvaging the lumber because of the high price.

IF they ever decide to find the actual cause of this (and I just saw a report from a Chinese dissident who said COVID was released at a military exercise) and damning evidence is found that the Chinese government hid info that WOULD have prevented its spread and there's no way for them to disprove it, I think the country's government should be removed and the rest of the World should be able to use China as its manufacturing base, run the country and use its resources without anyone saying a thing about it. We're f&cked and it's because of the disease, as well as the shytty response to it by the World's governments. Being safe from a disease is one thing but causing the World's economy to suffer to this extent was wrong.

BTW- for those who are against a World economy, watch this-

highfigh

highfigh

Why would that be a problem? It's easy to grow and it grows damned fast. Why isn't it farmed in the US?

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Ya, Cedar is still high. Forest trim supply is very spotty. PT is still 30% higher than it was. But 2x4's are back to normal. And OSB is back to normal.

highfigh

highfigh

Any cabinet shop with CNC should be able to do that. The problem may in getting the materials.

highfigh

highfigh

Ya, Cedar is still high. Forest trim supply is very spotty. PT is still 30% higher than it was. But 2x4's are back to normal.
My trim is Pine, not Cedar.

If I were to build a house, I think I might consider using steel (not steel studs) for the main structure and design it with lots of open space and look for salvaged lumber for some things.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why would that be a problem? It's easy to grow and it grows damned fast. Why isn't it farmed in the US?
I'm wondering about that myself and have no idea, but I'm prolly gonna go down a Google rabbit hole to find out because I'm curious now. I do know that bamboo only grows under specific conditions. Like very wet and rain foresty, iirc. It may be too difficult to grow here. I'll take a poke at it and if I find anything I'll report back. What little I know about bamboo tho, if it's possible we damned well should be growing and using it. All the benefits of wood, but a lot more renewable and stronger. Well, all the benefits except ease of use. I guess it's tough stuff to cut and router, needs special, harder tools and presents some challenges working with it that wood doesn't.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm wondering about that myself and have no idea, but I'm prolly gonna go down a Google rabbit hole to find out because I'm curious now. I do know that bamboo only grows under specific conditions. Like very wet and rain foresty, iirc. It may be too difficult to grow here. I'll take a poke at it and if I find anything I'll report back. What little I know about bamboo tho, if it's possible we damned well should be growing and using it. All the benefits of wood, but a lot more renewable and stronger. Well, all the benefits except ease of use. I guess it's tough stuff to cut and router, needs special, harder tools and presents some challenges working with it that wood doesn't.
Specific conditions? That crap grows in Wisconsin- check out the link:

For the non-cold hardy species (there are about 1400, according to the article), it wouldn't have a problem in the Southern/Southeast US. I know a botanist- I'll see if I can contact him and if he wants to discuss it (he retired to Hawaii, so....)

AFAIK, not many in commercial woodworking/cabinetmaking use much beside Carbide for edge tools and that would have no problem with Bamboo, even if it's stringy and in that respect, it can't be worse than wet Elm. The only real reason it might kill tool edges is if it contains a lot of silica and that would make it similar to Teak, Koa and other species that grow in sandy soil.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Specific conditions? That crap grows in Wisconsin- check out the link:

For the non-cold hardy species (there are about 1400, according to the article), it wouldn't have a problem in the Southern/Southeast US. I know a botanist- I'll see if I can contact him and if he wants to discuss it (he retired to Hawaii, so....)

AFAIK, not many in commercial woodworking/cabinetmaking use much beside Carbide for edge tools and that would have no problem with Bamboo, even if it's stringy and in that respect, it can't be worse than wet Elm. The only real reason it might kill tool edges is if it contains a lot of silica and that would make it similar to Teak, Koa and other species that grow in sandy soil.
Looks like it's limited to certain zones, very limited to which species and still requires special attention in the winter. It also doesn't mention in the article if it's a type of bamboo that's useful for production. I'm not saying it isn't useful, I just didn't see it mentioned in the article. Ima keep digging a little.

Dave at Ascend Acoustics is who I saw talking about how hard bamboo is on tools and the need to replace often. Initially he had a hard time finding a manufacturer willing to work with it and had to pay a premium for it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting Polk has a sale on there Reserve line now whether it's in stock anywhere I don't know

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis