infinity kappa 1200w quesion

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Often there may be some wiggle room, but when I saw the specs, suspected this driver was meant for a sealed box only. As I was intrigued, I tried to model in Bassbox and got some strange results. Something is off in the driver parameters or how Bassbox wants them entered for a DVC driver. Even sealed box model is off.

I found the owner's manual online here: https://www.infinityspeakers.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dwc0377c4c/pdfs/Owners Manual - Kappa800w-1000w-1200w (Multi language).pdf

It suggests a vented box of 2.5 ft3 with a 4" diameter port that is 10" long. Until I can model properly, regret I cannot offer much more...

Ww

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
Often there may be some wiggle room, but when I saw the specs, suspected this driver was meant for a sealed box only. As I was intrigued, I tried to model in Bassbox and got some strange results. Something is off in the driver parameters or how Bassbox wants them entered for a DVC driver. Even sealed box model is off.

I found the owner's manual online here: https://www.infinityspeakers.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_Harman/default/dwc0377c4c/pdfs/Owners Manual - Kappa800w-1000w-1200w (Multi language).pdf

It suggests a vented box of 2.5 ft3 with a 4" diameter port that is 10" long. Until I can model properly, regret I cannot offer much more...

Ww
I think it would work in a vented box fairly well.

I ended up going with a Dayton hifi 15in a 4.4 cuft sealed enclosure. Will add a second one here soon.

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
Probably should have gone with 3 cuft for space reasons.

Anyone know if you can run two identical subs on different sealed sub enclosures?

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Thanks. Will not spend any more time on the Kappa...

I have 2 Titanic subs. Originally both were sealed and in the same room. It worked just fine until my wife decided she wanted fewer subwoofers. They are now separate rooms!

Having 2 identical subs does make some things easier, but it is not an absolute. If you really want them to match, trim the other one down to match. I have done this on more than a few occassions. Its a lot better than finding out you needed a bigger box :)...

Ww

G

good_apollo

Audioholic Intern
Ok, I’m gonna give this one a go before I build the 2nd, I appreciate the help on the kappa. I may end up building that anyway, and stick it in the bedroom.

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic
Ok, since you still have the Kappa, modeled a vented design for you. Except for adding bracing, would not go any larger volume for a music application.

Btw, the modeling issue was due to incorrect Cms units on the vendor specs. The units should be mm/N.

Enjoy!

Ww

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis