Inexpensive speakers

L

Lionsfan(sigh)

Enthusiast
Hello all. Last summer I picked up a new Sony STR DH590 5.2 for under $150. The old Walmart clearance isle. Thought it was a decent deal. So I'm looking for speakers. OK, I'll admit it: I'm kind of overwhelmed. It's been decades since I've looked at/for speakers and man, there is SO much out there. I have no idea what to look for. I'm needing advice on a speaker set up that's inexpensive. I'm on disability and they don't pay much so I'm looking at used stuff. Good thing is that I'm not filling an auditorium with sound. I live in a single wide trailer. I see all of these small speakers. Do they really provide good sound? So, any suggestions? Should I get speakers all at once or find a pair here and there? Can speakers be 'mixed and matched' without any problems? Can used/older speakers be found with confidence that they'll perform well? Like I said, it's much more overwhelming than it was 30 or 40 years ago. Any help/suggestions ate appreciated.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello all. Last summer I picked up a new Sony STR DH590 5.2 for under $150. The old Walmart clearance isle. Thought it was a decent deal. So I'm looking for speakers. OK, I'll admit it: I'm kind of overwhelmed. It's been decades since I've looked at/for speakers and man, there is SO much out there. I have no idea what to look for. I'm needing advice on a speaker set up that's inexpensive. I'm on disability and they don't pay much so I'm looking at used stuff. Good thing is that I'm not filling an auditorium with sound. I live in a single wide trailer. I see all of these small speakers. Do they really provide good sound? So, any suggestions? Should I get speakers all at once or find a pair here and there? Can speakers be 'mixed and matched' without any problems? Can used/older speakers be found with confidence that they'll perform well? Like I said, it's much more overwhelming than it was 30 or 40 years ago. Any help/suggestions ate appreciated.
How much $ are you looking to spend? Are you trying to do a full 5.2?

Spend the majority of your $ on the Left/Right mains and/or the sub!

A lot of people like these smaller bookshelf speakers, but they tend to also use a sub-woofer to fill in the bass on the low end. That does make some sense, as you get more for your $ on a bookshelf vs. the "equivalent" tower speaker, then you let your sub do the heavy lifting.

I also personally prefer towers to bookshelf speakers, and may even add a sub too! But, I have both configurations and there are merits to each.

For towers, start looking at the Pioneers (designed by Andrew Jones), or some of the offerings from Monoprice.com or the Dayton Audio speakers from parts-express.com.

If you are considering the sub + bookshelf route, start with the 12" sub from Dayton Audio/PE. You can also look at the Pioneer Bookshelf speakers or the dayton or monoprice. There are some Sony speakers on sale right now for around $90 that are supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't heard them and I personally tend to avoid Sony.

@zieglj01 is a pretty good resource for finding these good budget speakers for us!

NOTE-- You absolutely do NOT have to spend big $ to get very good sound. Spending the $ in the right place and at the right time is much more important than how much $ you spend.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Used can also be a good route to good sound on the cheap. You may want to post up some local used ads fro us to guide you on. Or, even tell us the area you are located and some members would not mind taking a look at the local used ads for you, they may even be in your area.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oh! You need to check out the JBL Studio speaker sale going on right now too! Directly from JBL, good performance at a good price.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hello all. Last summer I picked up a new Sony STR DH590 5.2 for under $150. The old Walmart clearance isle. Thought it was a decent deal. So I'm looking for speakers. OK, I'll admit it: I'm kind of overwhelmed. It's been decades since I've looked at/for speakers and man, there is SO much out there. I have no idea what to look for. I'm needing advice on a speaker set up that's inexpensive.
The forum can help find you speakers ... just need to know the max budget ... no need to get overwhelmed.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Lionsfan,

Welcome to the Forum. The big question was well put by slippery above "How much $ are you looking to spend?"

I get it that you don't have much space so Towers are out. The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelves and matching SP-C22 Center channel should be plentiful in the used market. You may also find some Sony SS-CS5 Bookshelf Speakers that have great reviews. We can talk about a Sub when you set the budget.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The JBL Studio series mentioned offer great value when on sale.

I have not had a chance to hear them yet, but a lot of reviewers rave about the Sony SS-CS5 which are under $200 brand new.

For used, link some ads that are in your area and people here can let you know if they are good deals.

L

Lionsfan(sigh)

Enthusiast

A lot of people like these smaller bookshelf speakers, but they tend to also use a sub-woofer to fill in the bass on the low end. That does make some sense, as you get more for your $ on a bookshelf vs. the "equivalent" tower speaker, then you let your sub do the heavy lifting.

I also personally prefer towers to bookshelf speakers, and may even add a sub too! But, I have both configurations and there are merits to each.

For towers, start looking at the Pioneers (designed by Andrew Jones), or some of the offerings from Monoprice.com or the Dayton Audio speakers from parts-express.com.

If you are considering the sub + bookshelf route, start with the 12" sub from Dayton Audio/PE. You can also look at the Pioneer Bookshelf speakers or the dayton or monoprice. There are some Sony speakers on sale right now for around $90 that are supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't heard them and I personally tend to avoid Sony.

@zieglj01 is a pretty good resource for finding these good budget speakers for us!

NOTE-- You absolutely do NOT have to spend big $ to get very good sound. Spending the $ in the right place and at the right time is much more important than how much $ you spend.
Well,

If I got all of the speakers at once, probably $200, $300 tops. If I get pieces I can spend more over time.

Thanks for responding Slippery

I found a Polk Audio RM6700 package for $100
It consists of
5 RM2300 (includes 1extra)
1 RM2650 center speaker looks like there are 2 speakers side by side in one box Apparently there is no subwoofer.
My receiver is a 5.2 What’s the .2 all about? Can 2 subwoofers be attached?
like I said, I live in a single wide with neighbors less than 20 feet on each side so I won’t be cranking it. It’ll be used mostly for Television watching and the occasional music.
This is one of those small (bookshelf)speaker sets.
This would probably be enough, but as I said, I’m unfamiliar with this new stuff. Is this a quality or decent set up?

L

Lionsfan(sigh)

Enthusiast
Used can also be a good route to good sound on the cheap. You may want to post up some local used ads fro us to guide you on. Or, even tell us the area you are located and some members would not mind taking a look at the local used ads for you, they may even be in your area.

I live in Flushing, MI. Just west of Fl

L

Lionsfan(sigh)

Enthusiast
Hi Lionsfan,

Welcome to the Forum. The big question was well put by slippery above "How much $ are you looking to spend?"

I get it that you don't have much space so Towers are out. The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelves and matching SP-C22 Center channel should be plentiful in the used market. You may also find some Sony SS-CS5 Bookshelf Speakers that have great reviews. We can talk about a Sub when you set the budget.
Something like that looks reasonable. Thanks

L

Lionsfan(sigh)

Enthusiast
The JBL Studio series mentioned offer great value when on sale.

I have not had a chance to hear them yet, but a lot of reviewers rave about the Sony SS-CS5 which are under $200 brand new.

For used, link some ads that are in your area and people here can let you know if they are good deals.
Thanks Eppie. These are on Amazon for $118/pair. Can these be used on all 4 corners? Front, rear, L and R?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well,

If I got all of the speakers at once, probably $200, $300 tops. If I get pieces I can spend more over time.

It consists of
1 RM2650 center speaker looks like there are 2 speakers side by side in one box Apparently there is no subwoofer.
My receiver is a 5.2 What’s the .2 all about? Can 2 subwoofers be attached?
like I said, I live in a single wide with neighbors less than 20 feet on each side so I won’t be cranking it. It’ll be used mostly for Television watching and the occasional music.
This is one of those small (bookshelf)speaker sets.
This would probably be enough, but as I said, I’m unfamiliar with this new stuff. Is this a quality or decent set up?
Remember-- 2 good speakers in stereo will always sound better than 5 mediocre speakers in multi-channel. If you are just watching TV from a cable box, then 5 speakers may not even make sense.

A lot of us like the idea of starting out with 2 speakers and going from there if the urge strikes and when the budget allows it.

Yes, the ".2" indicates 2 sub outputs.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Eppie. These are on Amazon for $118/pair. Can these be used on all 4 corners? Front, rear, L and R?
Just getting some more options in front of your eyes. I haven't heard any of these, but they tend to be well praised.

I think this price is per speaker

Probably a little over your intended budget, but also likely very nice sound

Pretty good for the price, some of the members here will have pretty good listening impressions on these, and may suggest something better for similar price.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Cambridge Audio have their well rated Minx XL bookshelves on special for $169 a pair:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Cambridge Audio have their well rated Minx XL bookshelves on special for $169 a pair:
If going for the Minx XL, one of our members has a set for sale right now. I believe several of us have bought from this member in the last many years.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well,

It consists of
I would skip them twinkle twinkle little star speakers

I would aim for this 3 pc TSC speakers

Also Sony

Sony center

Neumi bookshelf

Neumi center

Subwoofer ... Dayton

L

Lionsfan(sigh)

Enthusiast
I would skip them twinkle twinkle little star speakers

I would aim for this 3 pc TSC speakers

Also Sony

Sony center

Neumi bookshelf

Neumi center

Subwoofer ... Dayton
LOL…Twinkle, twinkle set up. Funny. I was wondering about those. They do look a little bubble gumm-y.

I was looking at those Sony SS’s. I’m leaning really hard towards that set up. Someone else suggested those, but I all of a sudden got swamped by ideas and suggestions and can’t really see who it was.
They seem reasonably priced and I don’t have to get them all at once and I like that it’s a set.
What are those ‘Dolby Atmos Speakers’ all about? From what I can make out they sit on top of the tall speakers to project sound up and around?? Are they powered or do they run off of the speakers they sit on top of? Or am I reading it wrong. I’m just kind of skimming and saving stuff right now with the intention of looking it over better later.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
LOL…Twinkle, twinkle set up. Funny. I was wondering about those. They do look a little bubble gumm-y.

I was looking at those Sony SS’s. I’m leaning really hard towards that set up. Someone else suggested those, but I all of a sudden got swamped by ideas and suggestions and can’t really see who it was.
They seem reasonably priced and I don’t have to get them all at once and I like that it’s a set.
What are those ‘Dolby Atmos Speakers’ all about? From what I can make out they sit on top of the tall speakers to project sound up and around?? Are they powered or do they run off of the speakers they sit on top of? Or am I reading it wrong. I’m just kind of skimming and saving stuff right now with the intention of looking it over better later.
One thing about the forum is you can get swamped with ideas ... best to narrow down to about 3 options ... for your tight budget, I would not be consumed with Atmos right now ... but with Atmos I would prefer to have speakers to aim down from on high --- if you get some decent 3 front speakers and a budget sub, just that alone can be an ear-awakening experience to start -- in the future move the front L/R to the rear when you upgrade

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Your 5.2 receiver likely won't do ATMOS. The manual should show what speaker setups are supported. In addition to the 3 fronts, you have 2 effects channels and those will be either rear or side surrounds. ATMOS is usually in ceiling and will require a receiver with more channels.

Yes, you could use four Sony SS-CS5 for front and rear. I think they only come in pairs, so you might need the SS-CS8 center that was linked to above. Remember that if the front speakers are close together, you don't necessarily need a center and can always add one later.

The RSL CG speakers that Slippery linked to are also pretty good for the money and there are members here that use them.

The .2 in 5.2 is for the subwoofer LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel and it's .2 instead of .1 because the receiver supports 2 separate connections. 2 subwoofers will yield smoother bass compared to a single one. There are some inexpensive subwoofers on PartsExpress and Monoprice that perform ok if you're on a tight budget. Definitely plan on adding one or two subwoofers later, especially if using bookshelf speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis