Indiana Jones - review

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Awful. Just plain awful. If Lucas is trying to make each successive film worse, he is doing a fine job. Although, I'll be impressed if he can top himself after this one.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Awful. Just plain awful. If Lucas is trying to make each successive film worse, he is doing a fine job. Although, I'll be impressed if he can top himself after this one.
I have not heard many favourable reviews of this movie, i am not that surprised. I still am interested in watching it. Is this movie mostly digital like the star wars movies?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That's too bad but not surprising. I wasn't impressed by the previews.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Regardless, it's a future Netflix rental for me. I saw the first one in the theater when I was a kid, so I know that I'll check out the last (well, probably last) one in the series. I wasn't that impressed with either the second or third movies, so my expectations aren't too high.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not overly critical with movies and will just accept that it is what it is. Like anything else, the hardcore aficionados and movie crtitics will pan it because it may not live up to their ideal given the history of the series. It's just like the Star Wars series where everyone was up in arms about 'fixing' the defects. I just don't care that much.

I'm sure it will be good in its own right and I will definitely watch it when I get the chance. However, I definitely will not be buying the DVD.

A

Alex at SVS

Audioholic Intern
I thought it was great. Sure it's way over the top, but it's Indiana Jones. Even the punching and gunshot sound effects are way over the top in these movies.

It's a very fun movie and everyone in my theater left happy. And it's not panned by critics much at all, 79% on rottentomatoes is pretty high (not amazing though).

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I thought it was great. Sure it's way over the top, but it's Indiana Jones. Even the punching and gunshot sound effects are way over the top in these movies.

It's a very fun movie and everyone in my theater left happy. And it's not panned by critics much at all, 79% on rottentomatoes is pretty high (not amazing though).
Hmmm

With an user name like yours I imagine the mods have an eye on you.:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hmmm

With an user name like yours I imagine the mods have an eye on you.:D
I haven't seen him do anything wrong. They may go against that rule simply because furrycute believed in it so much.

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I haven't seen him do anything wrong. They may go against that rule simply because furrycute believed in it so much.

SheepStar
Not saying he is doing anything wrong, or did, or plans to. It's just a risky name to have.:D

It's much better than what I was thinking of changing my name too.

"Av123FurryPsbGuy"

:D:D:D:D

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
I have not heard many favourable reviews of this movie, i am not that surprised. I still am interested in watching it. Is this movie mostly digital like the star wars movies?
There are a lot of digital shots in the movie. I'm okay with that.

I liked the other three movies - they were over the top and fantastical, but I was able to let the over the top stuff slide. Somehow, in the first 3 movies, I was able to believe that Indy could survive the events that were occurring around him.

In this new movie, Lucas takes it soooooo far over the top that it isn't fun any more. There is no way he could survive half the things that happen to him (nor many of the other characters). For me, when I can no longer believe that the story is at least somewhat plausible, all the entertainment value goes away. You now enter a fantasy land where there are no rules and basically anything can happen. That's fine in a scifi movie, but not in a film that is supposed to be loosely anchored in reality. I was half expecting Indy to start flying like Superman at the end of the movie it was so far-fetched.

I might have even been able to let all the ridiculous stuff slide if there was something resembling a plot going on. Or if the dialog wasn't at an all time low (and that's saying a lot for a Lucas film).

Anyway, I really can't understand why anyone would like this film, so I felt obligated to warn people.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Great. I have to sit through it tomorrow with my nephew.

A

AVJedi

Audioholic Intern
I saw it the other night, and I'd have to agree with most reviewers and others on this post. 2 -2.5 stars out of 5, it's way over the top. I am a big fan of the other movies, and Indy stops at The Last Crusade for me.
It's OK for the first 45 min. or so, very much old Indy films; Introductions to characters, story outline, fights, car chase....then it got weird. It seemed to loose direction and looked rushed. Like Lucas, Speilberg, and Ford were discussing it and said, "well, we're all getting older, so let's throw this thing together and get it done. We'll just throw in a bunch of special effects and people won't notice as much."
I can appreciate what they were going for in the timeline of the movie, though. Lucas is very good at keeping the events and mindset of the period. It was set in 1957, People were looking for commies everywhere, Russia was bad, and Sci-Fi was big in popular culture. Sci-Fi mags, movies, TV was all the rage, and I think (my opinion) that what GL and SS were trying to go for. An over the top adventurer film delving into Science Fiction. Much like the other films were based on 30's and 40's adventure serial reels. It's a good guys always win, no matter what (even if it's got no base in reality) film. I just think it had so much potential it could have been put together MUCH better than it was. But they are getting so old now, GL, SS, HF would wake up from their afternoon naps and forget where they were in the production. Maybe that's why it feels half-a$$'d.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
The trend of the entire Indiana Jones series IMO: Raiders was awesome, love every minute of it. Each movie thereafter has been degrees worse than the one that preceded it. I don't think I'll even bother with seeing this new one unless someone gives it to me for free when it comes out on disc.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
I saw this last night with some friends. Theater was packed, we wanted the 9:15 show but had to wait for the 9:45.

I thought it was a fun popcorn movie, it didn't try to take itself too seriously. Good mix of humor in there, I laughed out loud a half dozen times. They call out Indiana on his age a few times. I didn't think Shia was the best choice, his role was too different from past characters he has played in Constantine, Disturbia, Transformers, etc. My favorite character in the movie was not Harrison Ford, it was John Hurt as Ox. Just excellent.

The plot does get weird, plenty of unbelievable parts. Some were pretty awesome nonetheless. As I had heard in a couple reviews, there are some parts in the movie that seem like they were specifically designed for a matching theme-park ride.

Oh, and this was the first Indiana Jones movie I've been able to see in the theater. I was only 3 when Last Crusade came out :)

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Ho Racquetman! Looong time no speak. :)
Long time, indeed. You ditched "Bucklemeister" I see. That was probably forever ago - shows you how often I check out the forum now. Anyway, good to see you're still around. :)

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Oh, and this was the first Indiana Jones movie I've been able to see in the theater. I was only 3 when Last Crusade came out :)
Gawd am I going to feel ancient at Losers's GTG.

Major might want to take back the invitation to me.:(

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
There were some scenes in the beginning that made me feel that i was watching star wars. Did anyone else have that feeling too? There was even a classic star wars sound effect in the beginning that no doubt was intentional (hangar door lock exploding).

Overall it wasnt bad. I mean its supposed to be a fun family movie. The tarzan scene was a little corny.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Overall it wasnt bad. I mean its supposed to be a fun family movie. The tarzan scene was a little corny.
It cracks me up how people keep mentioning the swinging through the vines scene as the corny part. Am I the only one that saw the part where Jones is in the refrigerator??!! Or when he does the three level drop??!! Or how he got in the water right before the three level drop??!!

This was no fun family movie. There were far too many violent deaths for children I think.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis