In Wall AND Tower Speakers for R&L Front

DtotheC

DtotheC

Enthusiast
I bought a house with a media room that has in wall speakers. I didnt like the sound so I hooked up my Klipsch tower speakers to the same Front L&R channels, essentially having 4 speakers connected to those channels. It sounds better, but wondering if this would be an issue for the calibration or general sound.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That depends on how you hooked them up. Did you use a separate amp for one or the other or did you just wire both to the same speaker output from the receiver? Yes, it will mess with the calibration. "Better" and louder aren't the same thing. I would just use the towers, possibly try to use the in walls as Atmos?

DtotheC

DtotheC

Enthusiast
Yes, both are wired to the same output. I already have a pair of in ceiling speakers for the Atmos, so I guess Ill just disconnect the in walls.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The receiver sees that like it was one speaker and it draws more current having two on one output. If you want to run it that way and have preamp outputs, usually you can run an amp for the mains and the speaker outputs are still active for the in walls.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally you don't want to duplicate channels like that, especially not on the same amp like that. If you prefer the towers, just use those.

DtotheC

DtotheC

Enthusiast
The receiver sees that like it was one speaker and it draws more current having two on one output. If you want to run it that way and have preamp outputs, usually you can run an amp for the mains and the speaker outputs are still active for the in walls.
Thanks for the reply! I'm going to disconnect the in wall speakers and use the towers. I thought in walls were cool to clean up the space but they just dont have the sound depth of tower speakers.

DtotheC

DtotheC

Enthusiast
Generally you don't want to duplicate channels like that, especially not on the same amp like that. If you prefer the towers, just use those.
Agreed, Im going to just use the towers. Appreciate the advice!

DtotheC

DtotheC

Enthusiast
If I can add something to this thread, the room is not very deep so the couch is only about 12 inches from the back wall. There are in wall speakers in the rear very close to the listening position. Would it be better to have bookshelf speakers in the rear facing the center of the room, or do the in wall speakers with calibration allow for surround sound? What would you do?

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis