Improving the Mid bass slam (Opinion overload)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok I will try that, regarding the peq parametric eq, should I leave that all off or just stick with what sounds the best to me? My subwoofer also has extended mode and standard mode if you know which I should be running. I believe extended has more spl in the lower frequency’s while standard gets more in the mid frequency’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not familiar with that sub particularly for its amp mode settings, sorry.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
Ok I will try that, regarding the peq parametric eq, should I leave that all off or just stick with what sounds the best to me? My subwoofer also has extended mode and standard mode if you know which I should be running. I believe extended has more spl in the lower frequency’s while standard gets more in the mid frequency’s.

I don't mean to jump in but thought I,d give my two cents which probably isn't worth that but I have dual pb16 ultras which do a fantastic job at low frequencies(teens to 50,s) but they alone don't give that visceral impact, I run a pair of sound reinforcement bass speakers (18)inch with crazy efficiency (102db/watt) and don't break a sweat at volumes of 130db they are giving you that thump at every drum hit because that's what they use at concerts to give you that thump.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used the PEQ on my Yamaha and boosted the 40-80Hz for my subs.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
To the OP, I followed AcuDefTechguys advice and it helped give me what I was looking for. I had never messed with the PEQ before that. If I recall correctly he suggested the following settings for EQing the following frequencies
39.4Hz
49.6Hz
62.5Hz
78.7Hz

He recommended adjusting them to +3.0 and use a Q of 0.5. Of course, this is to taste. You may want to lower the overall sub level after doing that. But it worked good for me. I am not certain of what the Q does, to be honest. I think the lower the Q the tighter the sound of that frequency? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I don't mean to jump in but thought I,d give my two cents which probably isn't worth that but I have dual pb16 ultras which do a fantastic job at low frequencies(teens to 50,s) but they alone don't give that visceral impact, I run a pair of sound reinforcement bass speakers (18)inch with crazy efficiency (102db/watt) and don't break a sweat at volumes of 130db they are giving you that thump at every drum hit because that's what they use at concerts to give you that thump.
What are you using for those 18s?

B

Baaj

Enthusiast
Do you run the pb-16 in extended mode and what level on the amplifier (app) and the avr?
Also how do you place the two pb-16, side by side or corners.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
the pb,s are -8db total between the avr and i,n sub level , all subs are lighned up across rear of room, pb,s are in extended mode , dual 18" turbo sound drivers are run by a crown xli 3500 and give that incredible mid bass, that's not the ps16,s strong point.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
Do you run the pb-16 in extended mode and what level on the amplifier (app) and the avr?
Also how do you place the two pb-16, side by side or corners.

the pb16 ultras are -5.5db in the avr the subwoofer trim in avr is -3db the volume on the pb,s themselves is 0db

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
To the OP, I followed AcuDefTechguys advice and it helped give me what I was looking for. I had never messed with the PEQ before that. If I recall correctly he suggested the following settings for EQing the following frequencies
39.4Hz
49.6Hz
62.5Hz
78.7Hz

He recommended adjusting them to +3.0 and use a Q of 0.5. Of course, this is to taste. You may want to lower the overall sub level after doing that. But it worked good for me. I am not certain of what the Q does, to be honest. I think the lower the Q the tighter the sound of that frequency? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Q adjusts the width of frequencies affected by the boost or attenuation in a parametric equalizer. The lower the Q is, the wider the effect will be across the audio spectrum centered on your frequency. A 0.5Q is a pretty wide adjustment so you are essentially boosting the entire spectrum of frequencies that you mentioned above.

H

Hblackheart

Audiophyte
Ok, time to get this thread moving in the right direction.

The best mid bass slam woofer (Used to be) a jbl 2242 18 inch sound reinforcement woofer. They handle 800 watts and are meant to take live abuse from bands. Build yourself small box (Not necessarily 4 cubic feet) and enjoy. These will trounce handily 99 percent of other subs you guys are talking about. Light weight and efficient all in 1 package as they are made for this and 50 hz to 200 should be taken care of with ease. You won't regret this choice.

Use some 18 inch tc sounds lms ultra type equivalent to get your lower shake going on in 4+ cubic feet.
Throw in a Clone amp (Sanway fp14000) to handle the power needs and presto, you have way more low and mid bass than people who spend a insane amount on brand name gear costing a pretty penny.

Am i recommending low end gear... in a nut shell, no.... Tc sounds used to be one of the best but is now defunct so do your research to get something with 3 inches of movement or multiple cheap subs to make up the difference for your low end shake. Can't build boxes to save your life? Pay a local guy to do it for you.

Choose what color of wood you want in baltic birch stained to your liking. Build it like a tank and keep it for life. Build a triangle and throw it in an unused corner with 2 passive radiators top and bottom. Wife is happy, your grinning from ear to ear, and you have just learned how to not break the bank while being able to save up for that new avr, dyi sound group speakers, those new hypex amps, { Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement! | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum }
Throw this with your speakers of choice and know you have spent your money wisely on quite honestly some of the best gear you will ever have for years to come. There is always bigger and better and maybe your a base junky and need more 18's or have a large room to fill. The sanway amp will handle it to a point or multiple less wattage subs to get you there.

If you have some update's to what could replace the Tc sounds subs, please step up and share with your fellow users. What is the best eq for the money for instance...

Don't be afraid to build some room treatments too as this will make your speakers and space sound vastly better. Cheers, everyone.

Last edited:
pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
You could try a couple of simple things here.
Set up a mic/daq at your seated position. Take a deep breath, open your mouth wide and loudly utter the sound "aaaaaaaaaaaaa". You should feel vibrations starting in the naval/belly area. As you slowly close your mouth with the same vocal output, the sound changes to "ooouuuuuuu" and you should feel vibrations in the chest/sternum area. As you close your mouth further and your lips seal to the sound "mmmmmmmmm", you should feel vibrations move up between the nose/forehead area. This is a sound that a human creature can emit even with the absence of a tongue.

Anyways, based on what you saw on your scope to get a feel for things, use your PEQ to focus on the frequencies for which specific area of your body vibrated a bit more.

After you get the above mentioned right, resort to SPL levels for how much you wanna be shaken like a pinata. :D

P.S I know many guys on forums these days have weakass floorstanders of bookshelves paired with a platoon of monster subs crossed over under 80hz (it is fairly common these days). All it does is rattle the whole damn house. A rattling house makes for a unpleasant listening experience, believe it or not. A couple of these midbass units may possibly be all you're looking for if you have some weakass mains. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FM8.html

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis