Improving audio system

W

white pirate

Enthusiast
I have a Yamaha rxv685 reciver with 2 pairs of Yamaha ns- ic800 speakers (in the ceiling)
The sound quality is good but I wonder if I can get more.
Can I use pre/amp with this equipment ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Yamaha rxv685 reciver with 2 pairs of Yamaha ns- ic800 speakers (in the ceiling)
From what you say, if you think that system is good, you have set a very low bar for good. That is a ceiling system, and so by definition is poor, and background grade at best.

If you want quality, you need to start from scratch with two good stereo speakers.

W

white pirate

Enthusiast
From what you say, if you think that system is good, you have set a very low bar for good. That is a ceiling system, and so by definition is poor, and background grade at best.

If you want quality, you need to start from scratch with two good stereo speakers.
OK, I understand, you all have the best gear money can buy !
But I want to stay at my level, and at my budget.
Can you answer my question please, about improving my system ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OK, I understand, you all have the best gear money can buy !
But I want to stay at my level, and at my budget.
Can you answer my question please, about improving my system ?
I did. If you stay committed to speakers in the ceiling, you are stuck. We are not in the habit here of encouraging people to waste their money. You will get honest answers whether you want to hear them or not.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with TLS Guy. Ceiling speakers are not the best way to go. What price range do you have in mind to spend on improvements?

Your Yamaha RX-V685 can accept an external amp only for the front Left & Right speakers. In the photo, see where it says PRE OUT Front. But adding extra power won't address the problems with sound from ceiling speakers.
71dli+CTukL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

W

white pirate

Enthusiast
I agree with TLS Guy. Ceiling speakers are not the best way to go. What price range do you have in mind to spend on improvements?

Your Yamaha RX-V685 can accept an external amp only for the front Left & Right speakers. In the photo, see where it says PRE OUT Front. But adding extra power won't address the problems with sound from ceiling speakers.View attachment 66486
Hi Swerd,
My budget is 1000$.
I want to stay with ceiling speakers.
What does the "pre out" mean ?
The speakers spc is 50W RMS, can I connect all 4 as front and use amp ?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hi Swerd,
My budget is 1000$.
Save your money. If you stay with ceiling speakers you can't improve the system, but you can make it worse. If you use all four speakers you will also make it worse as the speakers will all interfere with each other, making matters worse. A ceiling system is just not compatible with quality audio.

Why are you so married to ceiling speakers? I bet you do have an elegant solution other than ceiling speakers. $1000.00 will buy you a very decent pair of speakers, that really will improve your audio experience and dramatically. I sniff out female interference. However, good audio is also compatible with excellent interior design.

W

white pirate

Enthusiast
Save your money. If you stay with ceiling speakers you can't improve the system, but you can make it worse. If you use all four speakers you will also make it worse as the speakers will all interfere with each other, making matters worse. A ceiling system is just not compatible with quality audio.

Why are you so married to ceiling speakers? I bet you do have an elegant solution other than ceiling speakers. $1000.00 will buy you a very decent pair of speakers, that really will improve your audio experience and dramatically. I sniff out female interference. However, good audio is also compatible with excellent interior design.
No other elegant solution.
In have cables only in the ceiling.
Looks like its a dead end.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Swerd,
My budget is 1000$.
I think the coffee shop comment might have been in reference to the ceiling speakers as they are not common for dedicated music systems. It sounds like this is more of an "area fill" ambient kind of system, rather than an all out music system?

Pre-out is exactly what Swerd said: preamplifier output, labeled as pre out.

Speakers are 95% of the resulting sound quality, so speakers is where you would want to improve. Is it just not loud enough or the sound isn't the quality you are looking for? Celling speakers are a compromise and good ones tend to cost a bit more. $1k should still get you good ceiling speakers though.

Adding two pairs of speakers to a single output is likely to strain the receiver. Adding an amplifier with enough channels for the number of speakers you want via the mentioned pre out will work.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No other elegant solution.
In have cables only in the ceiling.
Looks like its a dead end.
I doubt it is. I have never seen a room that defeats at least a decent two channel system. There are lots of way new wiring can be hidden. Post some pictures.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I swear some of the new user posts here lately are generated by some new kind of 'pain in the ass' bot.
Its like they purposely post topics that make any audiophile say " what the...?? "

W

white pirate

Enthusiast
I think the coffee shop comment might have been in reference to the ceiling speakers as they are not common for dedicated music systems. It sounds like this is more of an "area fill" ambient kind of system, rather than an all out music system?

Pre-out is exactly what Swerd said: preamplifier output, labeled as pre out.

Speakers are 95% of the resulting sound quality, so speakers is where you would want to improve. Is it just not loud enough or the sound isn't the quality you are looking for? Celling speakers are a compromise and good ones tend to cost a bit more. $1k should still get you good ceiling speakers though.

Adding two pairs of speakers to a single output is likely to strain the receiver. Adding an amplifier with enough channels for the number of speakers you want via the mentioned pre out will work.
So I have 2 options ? To change the speakers or to add a set of speakers + amp.
With that budget +/-, what do you recomend ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Adding two stereo speakers to two existing speakers is a poor option, especially if driven with only a 2ch amp due impedance load.

What are you trying to improve particularly?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Adding two stereo speakers to two existing speakers is a poor option, especially if driven with only a 2ch amp due impedance load.

Can split the signal, use 4ch amp. Not ideal, but would increase output. It won't improve the sound quality though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can split the signal, use 4ch amp. Not ideal, but would increase output. It won't improve the sound quality though.
Then you still have duplicated stereo channels, altho mono is a thought...

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Make it a 5.1.2 dolby atmos setup with 5 ear level speakers. And two on the ceiling.

This is the maximum your receiver is capable of. I also have the same model!

W

white pirate

Enthusiast

The loudness

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So you are going for loudness.

IMO, adding an external amp isn’t going to improve anything in your system or make it louder.

If you love or prefer ceiling speakers and absolutely don’t want floor-standing or in-wall speakers, you could upgrade to higher-end and bigger in-ceiling speakers. Like 10” woofers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis