Improve Your Loudspeakers Sound with this Tweak?

Do IsoAcoustics Isolators Really Work?

• Yes. It's a great tweak and must have despite their cost.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Not sure. Sounds like snake oil to me.

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • No. I tried them and heard no difference.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don’t know what all the complaints over price are. look at what I did to isolate my speakers. I decoupled the entire room.

Guarantee that would cost over $1000!

decoupled the subwoofers

and

made sure to have insulation to avoid any resonances or vibrations.

the ultimate audiophile tweak!
Matthew, you still haven't gone far enough. There is still one critical point where vibrations can impede on your listening enjoyment. You see, there are many mechanical processes in the human anatomy which can hinder the pure sound from your hi-fi system, such as respiration, heartbeat, digestion, and various other metabolic and circulatory systems. All of this generates noise and vibrations which raise the noise floor in your auditory system. I am addressing this in a gound-breaking surgery scheduled for tomorrow where I am having my entire auditory system mechanically isolated from my body. My ears will be distended from my body by a cybernetic broadband damping implant. I may look strange at the end of it, but that is a small price to pay for having the purest and most direct access to sound from my hi-fi system. No longer will my body obstruct my enjoyment of my collection of reel-to-reels! Free! Free at last!

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Are those Urethane? Can you post a source?

Its the decoupler I used for my room and what I now use in all my designs. I spec this for nearly everything as they are easier to use and work better. They cost around $4.50 each, but perform as well or outperform the best isolation clips. All wall assemblies that I design are based on fully tested and UL approved designs, including fire ratings.

If you end up ordering these, please let them know I sent you!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Matthew, you still haven't gone far enough. There is still one critical point where vibrations can impede on your listening enjoyment. You see, there are many mechanical processes in the human anatomy which can hinder the pure sound from your hi-fi system, such as respiration, heartbeat, digestion, and various other metabolic and circulatory systems. All of this generates noise and vibrations which raise the noise floor in your auditory system. I am addressing this in a gound-breaking surgery scheduled for tomorrow where I am having my entire auditory system mechanically isolated from my body. My ears will be distended from my body by a cybernetic broadband damping implant. I may look strange at the end of it, but that is a small price to pay for having the purest and most direct access to sound from my hi-fi system. No longer will my body obstruct my enjoyment of my collection of reel-to-reels! Free! Free at last!
You know, I heard about this procedure… but it’s too rich for most of the people I know. One guy is actually on his way to Tijuana as I type this. He’s going to have a procedure where they inject a low-durometer elastomer gel around his ear canals and into other cavities where organs may create too much vibration. When finished, this treatment is supposed to completely decouple him. It is 3 treatments, and costs $1000.00 MXN per treatment. He said he'll be in TJ for a week.
Apparently the surgeon also does Lip and Buttock enhancements, too.

I'll report back in a few weeks after he has a chance to do some listening tests! :)

G

gasongasoff

Audiophyte
It amazes me how conspiracies are formed in audio when someone that has a good experience with a product and writes a glowing review MUST have gotten some kickback. I got off ASR and deleted my account when I saw how toxic of an environment some folks make it over there and hope we can keep that to a minimum here.
In fact, there's a thread on ASR entitled "Audioholics goes off the reservation" dedicated to this site's coverage of the IsoAcoustic's dampeners. "Toxic" is pretty accurate, among other things.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've found that chugging a bottle of Pepto Bismol before music sessions lowers my bodily noise floor and greatly improves my listening experience. My conclusion? "Gotta have it!".

:p

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I've found that chugging a bottle of Pepto Bismol before music sessions lowers my bodily noise floor and greatly improves my listening experience. My conclusion? "Gotta have it!".

:p
There is proven science to the Pepto bismol before listening to music.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
In fact, there's a thread on ASR entitled "Audioholics goes off the reservation" dedicated to this site's coverage of the IsoAcoustic's dampeners. "Toxic" is pretty accurate, among other things.
Van Halen brown M&Ms right there. I skimmed a few posts and it’s just responding to the other person. The Sorbothane one made me laugh because:

1) Sorbothane is NOT a non-marking solution. I’ve tried Sorbothane on my turntable with simply excellent results as I mentioned in a previous post but it marked my cabinet!!
2) With heavier objects the Sorbothane product I had expanded out and would not support them and the top cracked.
3) I’m not currently aware of any Sorbothane solution that is integrated into speaker feet as a threaded option that allows you to reposition the speaker easily.
4) Someone can go right ahead and slap the Sorbothane feet down on the floor and then try to toe in the speaker or making adjustments. Good luck with that with a 200+ lb speaker and make sure you have a good chiropractor.

Great solution for certain applications and an amazing product, but not something I felt was applicable in a 125 pound speaker on hardwood.

My signed Gordy Howe hockey puck looks better on my mantle than under my speakers

BC82E9A3-F9C6-4696-8738-E718BE3D7879.jpeg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Van Halen brown M&Ms right there. I skimmed a few posts and it’s just responding to the other person. The Sorbothane one made me laugh because:

1) Sorbothane is NOT a non-marking solution. I’ve tried Sorbothane on my turntable with simply excellent results as I mentioned in a previous post but it marked my cabinet!!
2) With heavier objects the Sorbothane product I had expanded out and would not support them and the top cracked.
3) I’m not currently aware of any Sorbothane solution that is integrated into speaker feet as a threaded option that allows you to reposition the speaker easily.
4) Someone can go right ahead and slap the Sorbothane feet down on the floor and then try to toe in the speaker or making adjustments. Good luck with that with a 200+ lb speaker and make sure you have a good chiropractor.

Great solution for certain applications and an amazing product, but not something I felt was applicable in a 125 pound speaker on hardwood.

My signed Gordy Howe hockey puck looks better on my mantle than under my speakers

View attachment 52099
IsolateIt says on their site that sorbothane does contain a plasticizer, and this is what is responsible for marking wood. Their 50-duro bumpers are available with a urethane coating which will protect a finish.
I am surprised that in your case, Theo, the coating (assuming you used their product) failed. I talked to them about the differences and use cases and they told me they put a sample outside and left it for over a year with no degradation… *shrugs
Regardless, I agree that sorbothane bumpers are not a great solution, especially on a very heavy Speaker. The upper cabinets of my Phil3s are isolated using sorbothane hemispheres and the have completely pancaked and stick slightly to the lower cabinet.
And I can attest: they absolutely leave a mark.

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
IsolateIt says on their site that sorbothane does contain a plasticizer, and this is what is responsible for marking wood. Their 50-duro bumpers are available with a urethane coating which will protect a finish.
I am surprised that in your case, Theo, the coating (assuming you used their product) failed. I talked to them about the differences and use cases and they told me they put a sample outside and left it for over a year with no degradation… *shrugs
Regardless, I agree that sorbothane bumpers are not a great solution, especially on a very heavy Speaker. The upper cabinets of my Phil3s are isolated using sorbothane hemispheres and the have completely pancaked and stick slightly to the lower cabinet.
And I can attest: they absolutely leave a mark.
Yes they left a Q-shaped marks on the cabinet. The packaging was specific about marking potential and I suffered that.
Is there a specific 50-during product available for speakers? The ones I’m seeing are for truck bumpers. If there is that may be something worth sharing for others. The 50-Duro look like they would be a fabulous solution for a custom isolation platform.

M

mdinno

Junior Audioholic
Acoustic Field channel has video's on this. Getting your sub completely off the floor.

M

Mojo Navigator

Junior Audioholic
I'm confidant that anyone can match the performance of this snake oil product for under $30 using common objects everyone can afford.

Theo's review was pretentious at best.

Last edited:
D

dutchholic

Junior Audioholic
I'm confidant that anyone can match the performance of this snake oil product for under $30 using common objects everyone can afford.

Theo's review was pretentious at best.
What is this based on? Your gut feeling?

Revelation

Revelation

Junior Audioholic
I ordered their phono ZaZeno II record player reduction unit. In test I found it does help reduce vibration when playing music. However, if your stereo rack moves a tiny bit left and then right if you're running in the room, it can only do so much to reduce vibrations. It was not that expensive, and it looks nice. Yes, I could made something myself by going to my local hardware store, but I think I will keep this which I got at $199.
Acoustics.jpg

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I ordered their phono ZaZeno II record player reduction unit. In test I found it does help reduce vibration when playing music. However, if your stereo rack moves left to right if you're running in the room, it can only do so much to reduce vibrations. It was not that expensive, and it looks nice. Yes, I could made something myself by going to my local hardware store, but I think I will keep this.
View attachment 54270
if you have that much movement you would be much better off with a wall mounted TT platform

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I ordered their phono ZaZeno II record player reduction unit. In test I found it does help reduce vibration when playing music. However, if your stereo rack moves left to right if you're running in the room, it can only do so much to reduce vibrations. It was not that expensive, and it looks nice. Yes, I could made something myself by going to my local hardware store, but I think I will keep this.
View attachment 54270
No running in the house!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
View attachment 54270
I use a rack similar to that on a wood floor, but a fairly solid one (floor that is), and my tt's own suspension is quite adequate on its own. Hard to run into that corner of the room, but footfalls aren't an issue, worry more about bass from speakers/subs but that hasn't been an issue given most vinyl content in the first place. Curious, does that fancy slab adjust for weight of the tt? I briefly tried some sorbothane thingies but that made it worse as I bought the wrong durometer (work great on a cheap sub with unadjustable hard plastic feet on a concrete floor, tho). I suppose $230 for that isn't horrible, but I'd still opt for a less expensive solution if really needed.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I use the SVS isolation feet on my subs and decent Dayton audio feet on my towers all this sits on there own independent sand filled custom risers. Overkill with out question dose it work for my rig yea it does . Sub risers weigh 80 lbs and set on there own isolation feet , the tower risers weigh 30 lbs and are on there own feet .side surrounds sit on sand filled 4 inch risers .
I built something similar for my L/R and subwoofers:

20210706_202055.jpg

20210711_093335.jpg

20210712_175520.jpg

Also filled with sand. The two tower boxes have ~160lbs of sand each and the subwoofer boxes ~85lbs of sand each. I still haven't finished them yet, as I'm planning on renovating the HT room this year and want to get them possibly carpeted. Total cost ~150$ plus a few hours of my time.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I built something similar for my L/R and subwoofers:

View attachment 54327
View attachment 54328
View attachment 54329

Also filled with sand. The two tower boxes have ~160lbs of sand each and the subwoofer boxes ~85lbs of sand each. I still haven't finished them yet, as I'm planning on renovating the HT room this year and want to get them possibly carpeted. Total cost ~150$ plus a few hours of my time.
I like them for subs I tried different enclosures before I figured out what I wanted . Them I made some for my towers too still working on a final design for them as there a weird shape to them .
That’s a nice job you did there .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis