Impressions of Salk SongTowers

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
[QUOTE="Swerd, post: 1249793, member: 5544" If there is something common among Salk speaker owners, besides loving their speakers, it would be how they all agree that doing business with Jim Salk is positive experience.
Also ask him if he can put you in contact with other Salk owners who live in your area. He maintains a list of those who are willing to do this. .
@eljr

I agree with Swerd, Jim Salk isn't such a titan of industry you can't get him on the phone. He's a real guy and I was able to jetison my fear of handing over 1/2 the funds after a simple conversation. On the second idea, getting an audition in the home of a Salk owner, I asked Jim Salk to arrange one here in Arizona and he did so very quickly. I was able to listen to a set of Songtowers in the home of a proud owner and play all the music I wanted. Imagine the loyalty to a product to allow strangers to come in to your home and listen to tunes.[/QUOTE]

I'd talked and chatted with enough Salk owners, that the financial part of the transaction with Salk was never a real concern for me...I talked to him twice before ordering and he felt the 90 day production time was more like 120 at that time...it ended up taking 2 mos longer so that created a little anxiety...as we had travel plans and I wanted to make sure I was home for delivery, then guest coming in for the holidays, etc. I reached out to him twice via email once we got beyond the 120 day mark and both times he responded quickly and when we did talk again, about a week later he told me they'd gotten slammed with orders, and the cabinet finishing is not something you can just throw labor dollars at and maintain the same quality...that was really causing the delays. Said he wasn't comfortable with that much of a delay, but I understood.

Once your speakers reach the final stages of the finishing he was able to pin point a ship day (it was maybe 4 days after we last talked)...got the email they were ready on the before his pin point date, paid the balance and they were shipped on the pin point day.

I would absolutely do business with Salk Sound again.

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Nice! Which speakers and finish did you choose, and what's the estimated arrival date?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You ordered Song 3 Encore? If so, then that must be a 1/3rd deposit. Yes? The invoice balance being zero threw me off. Looks like a helluva good speaker, no subwoofer required.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You ordered Song 3 Encore? If so, then that must be a 1/3rd deposit. Yes? The invoice balance being zero threw me off. Looks like a helluva good speaker, no subwoofer required.
Jim agreed to 30/20/50 schedule. Not bad for either

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Congrats on the 3 Encores :D.

Is that grayburst dye over curly maple veneer?

Those specs make it a full-range 3-way. I haven't heard that model, but I have no doubt about its SQ.

Those are big heavy cabinets, 11.5" W × 17"D × 42.5" H, 97 lbs. Have you ordered an audiophile grade forklift yet?
Yes that's the finish. He has another that's similar but I cant see the difference in the photos. I'm sure they are easier to move than the 135lbs subs. :D

These are going in a new room in a second home. The room is large with no parallel walls. Acoustically it's nice. I'm sure they will have no problem filling it.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
My SongTowers were curly cherry, not maple :).
I said it right and wrong at the same time. I was right in that I chose the same finish and veneer as you: curly cherry.:) Your example and pictures sealed the deal for me.
I was wrong in that I called out the wrong veneer in my post.
I have a difficult time for some reason remembering cherry and not maple. Its not the first time I've got it wrong.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I had another visitor to my listening room yesterday. Still batting a 1.000. She was thoroughly impressed and asked a ton of questions. Very detailed questions about how they could do what they do. She had spent a ton of money on a household wide Sonos system. No comparison on the sound. It was a lot of fun.

Since it was my birthday, one of my daughters gave me a double LP, Queens Greatest Hits. I got to demo the entire LP/turntable thing and explain how it all makes music. It was a fun day.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis