I'm noticing new details in some of my favorite high school tracks.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
I was listing to Pharrell's album In My Mind this evening. I haven't listened to this album in a couple years. First time listing to it on the BMRs. What really stood out to me was the song "How Does it Feel." I never heard the dubed woman's voice whispering behind Pharell's vocals track during the chorus. It definitely adds something to the the track. Never heard this on my old iPod head phones from high-school. Also I could tell a difference in the quality of the recording of the vocal tracks between the songs "Can I have it like that" vs "How does it feel". I wonder if it was recorded at a different studio or maybe different mic.

Also, while I was at it thought I'd play another favorite: The Rat by the Walkman. I actually think it sounds better blasting though the speakers in my car than on the BMRs. The song sounded so heavily compressed. Perhaps a recording technique gone overboard?

Anyways, I've heard these song a thousand times in the past, however this is the first time I was able to hear some of these songs with this level of detail. Pretty f-ing sweet :cool:.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I was listing to Pharrell's album In My Mind this evening. I haven't listened to this album in a couple years. First time listing to it on the BMRs. What really stood out to me was the song "How Does it Feel." I never heard the dubed woman's voice whispering behind Pharell's vocals track during the chorus. It definitely adds something to the the track. Never heard this on my old iPod head phones from high-school. Also I could tell a difference in the quality of the recording of the vocal tracks between the songs "Can I have it like that" vs "How does it feel". I wonder if it was recorded at a different studio or maybe different mic.

Also, while I was at it thought I'd play another favorite: The Rat by the Walkman. I actually think it sounds better blasting though the speakers in my car than on the BMRs. The song sounded so heavily compressed. Perhaps a recording technique gone overboard?

Anyways, I've heard these song a thousand times in the past, however this is the first time I was able to hear some of these songs with this level of detail. Pretty f-ing sweet :cool:.
There is little doubt that the BMR's are the best thing going under $3K! If the BMR's were sold in a B&M store they would cost at least $2500 or so. I am NOT aware of anything better than the BMR's under $3k! If there is, I certainly want to know about it. Glad that you are liking yours! Not in the least bit surprised! :) Congrats!

Cheers,

Phil

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

OK, what is a BMR and who is this Pharrell?

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
If the BMR's were sold in a B&M store they would cost at least $2500 or so
what doe sthis cost and are you sayin that teh price would vary if it was not a internet direct brand? (is it an internet direct brand?)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
OK, what is a BMR and who is this Pharrell?
There is a little of my own interpretation/reading between the lines in this depiction, but I think I have teh main points straight.

Just a little more about Dennis Murphy, and Philharmonic Audio!

Dennis has been an active DIY proponent for some time.
He started his Murphy Blaster website to assist people wanting to build DIY kits (of his design):
http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html

After he built up a reputation, somewhere along the way, Jim Salk approached him about assisting in the design of the Salk speakers, especially from a crossover standpoint (which is where Dennis seems to have a special "knack"), Most noteworthy was the Salk Songtower, which was a reasonably priced (~$2,000/pr in ~2010) speaker with very good sound and Salk cabinets with wonderfully beautiful finish work, they also incorporated a 1/4 wave T-L design developed with Paul Kittenger's assistance, which made for nice bass!
I believe it is fair to say that Murphy is the principal designer of all Salk Speakers although I am certain Jim Salk is calling the shots on the general parameters of the Salk line-up and I believe Kittenger has design input for port/cabinet design to insure the bass is good for many if not all Salk speakers.

Understand that Salk's speakers are reasonably priced and competitive, but you are paying for a high level of woodworking/finishing craftsmanship with Salk speakers, plus, Salk charges more of a standard rate for his labor since, it is his livelihood.

This is where I am reading heavily between the lines:
I believe Dennis was a little frustrated that Salk speakers cost so much and he has always been (from his DIY past) about getting the highest value as a sound quality per dollar proposition and wanted to offer quality speakers; except, instead of having such an exquisite finish as Salk provides, he would use options such as the Chinese made pre-built speaker cabinets from Parts Express to drop the price significantly.
Salk is a good guy, and he and Dennis reached an agreement! I think they realized they were in many ways in two different markets - Salk sells great speakers that are essentially a show-piece for your home, and Dennis, through his new venture Philharmonic Audio, would produce speakers that saved money wherever he could except where it impacted sound quality. None of the Philharmonic Audio designs are direct copies of Salk designs. Basically, I think Philharmonic Audio represents the best SQ for your dollar, but if you have the coin and have a well decorated home, you're going to want to pay the extra for Salk's cabinet work and finish.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
what doe sthis cost and are you sayin that teh price would vary if it was not a internet direct brand? (is it an internet direct brand?)
The BMR's in black cost $1350 plus shipping which will NOT exceed $100. Moreover, the cherry cabinets cost $1450 with shipping not to exceed $100. Other standard finishes including maple, mahogany, and walnut starting at $1600 plus S&H not to exceed $100. Furthermore, furniture grade finishes can be ordered for $1800 done by Jim Salk.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html

If Dennis sold the BMR's through dealers and /or distributors, then they would retail for much more. My guess the BMR's w/a furniture grade finish would retail somewhere in the neighborhood of $2850 a set! But, b/c Dennis sells direct the BMR's are much more affordable. In fact, Dennis has mentioned a few times that he makes like $6 an hour doing this hobby. Just saying..............:)

Cheers,

Phil

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Fellow forum member Dennis Murphy's Philharmonic Audio, particularly the BMR Philharmonitor speakers http://philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html

Pharrel Williams is fairly well known....have you seen Despicable Me? He did the soundtrack, and several others.....but far from what we listened to in high school I think :)
Oh, wow, I should have known.... I tried to order a pair in late spring.... Dennis was out of stock cabinets and I went on to something else.... bought a Dac, Blu Ray and Headphones instead.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis