illegal immigrant sues dealership

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
LINK

Here’s an interesting question arising from a series of lawsuits filed in California: Should a person who is in the United States illegally and used a fraudulent Social Security number to buy a car be able to sue the selling dealer for fraud?

Here are the particulars, according to a report in the Modesto (CA) Bee:

Two Modesto-area car dealerships are accused in separate lawsuits of taking advantage of Latino customers by failing to provide Spanish-language copies of their sales and financing agreements, as required by California law. In some cases, the customers also complained about problems with the vehicles.

These alleged victims are illegal immigrants who admitted during depositions that they used stolen or otherwise fraudulent Social Security numbers to obtain driver's licenses and jobs, and as ID to get financing.

The local district attorney's office opted not to prosecute them for being in the United States illegally or for using fraudulent information to obtain IDs and financing.

A deputy district attorney said police investigators couldn't locate the people whose Social Security numbers have been stolen. No victims, no crimes. "We're asking them to enforce the law," said the attorney who represents one of the dealers. The lawyer said his private investigator had no trouble locating three people whose Social Security numbers were compromised by the plaintiffs. They included a woman living in northern Arizona and another whose deceased husband's identity was stolen.

In all four lawsuits, the same attorney represents the plaintiffs.

Three plaintiffs, at the dealer’s request, brought their vehicles to the dealership for inspection last March. The Ceres police arrested all three at the dealership. One was deported. The district attorney, as mentioned earlier, decided not to prosecute the others.

Now the three cases will work their way through the civil courts.

The dealers argue that the plaintiffs' claims have no merit and should be thrown out.

"Had they not filled out credit applications fraudulently, there never would have been a negotiation in any language," the dealers’ lawyer said.

The judge hearing the cases denied a motion for dismissal.

So, should a person who is here illegally and used a fraudulent Social Security number to buy a car be able to sue the dealer for fraud?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Dang, that takes some cojones. Suing because your fraudulent credit application wasn't handled correctly.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
We're headed for a super state: MEXUSCAN, rhymes with what-a-scam.;) :D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
They just have to hop from Modesto over to San Francisco......
-------------------------------------------------------------

Newsom pledges to make SF a sanctuary for illegal immigrants

(04-22) 18:56 PDT -- Mayor Gavin Newsom vowed Sunday to maintain San Francisco as a sanctuary for immigrants and do everything he can to discourage federal authorities from conducting immigration raids.

The mayor cannot stop federal authorities from making arrests, Newsom told about 300 mostly Latino members of St. Peter's Church and other religious groups supporting immigrants. But no San Francisco employee will help with immigration enforcement.

"I will not allow any of my department heads or anyone associated with this city to cooperate in any way shape or form with these raids," Newsom declared. "We are a sanctuary city, make no mistake about it."

The Board of Supervisors first declared San Francisco a "sanctuary city" in 1989. The designation, which many U.S. cities across the country took on during the 1980s, has no legal meaning.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials have since May 2006 conducted raids across the country, including arrests in San Rafael, Oakland, Richmond, San Pablo, Santa Clara and other cities across the Bay area. Immigration officials have said they were executing arrest warrants for immigrants who had committed crimes or were in the country illegally and had ignored final deportation orders.

In the course of serving deportation warrants, the officials said, other people whom officers suspected of being illegal immigrants were questioned and then arrested. Of at least 65 Marin County residents arrested in March, for example, just five had been ordered deported.

The raids, many of which conducted at private homes before dawn and some of which caught up legal immigrants and even citizens, have created an uproar in the Bay Area. Politicians and community leaders have demanded they end, saying some immigrants parents are now afraid to send their children to school or leave home.

Immigration agents on Friday arrested 13 foreign nationals who were working illegally at Eagle Bag Corp. in Oakland, a packaging manufacturer whose clients include the U.S. military. The arrests there of immigrants suspected of using counterfeit documents to obtain jobs were not related to the recent raids.

San Rafael Mayor Al Boro in March called on California's U.S. senators, Democrats Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, to push the immigration agency to change how it is enforcing immigration law because he believed children were the ones being hurt.

Marches and rallies are planned in coming weeks in Redwood City, San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento and other cities.

Porfirio Quintano was one of those who pleaded with Newsom, Senator Carole Migden and Assemblyman Mark Leno during Sunday's meeting to do what they can to make San Francisco safe for immigrants.

The 42-year-old immigrant from Honduras said his Richmond home was raided in 2003 by federal immigration agents based on what turned out to be bad information.

"We are victims," said Quintano, adding that his wife and two daughters, then ages 4 and 10, live in fear of another raid, even though they are in the country legally. "They were looking for somebody unrelated to us, but they lined us up against the wall and held us for an hour. It was terrifying, especially for our daughters."

Newsom, Migden and Leno all vowed to work with other cities and legislators to put a stop to what they said was blatant intimidation of immigrants.

"Our action is to stand strong in opposition to these raids... to make sure that we are not contributing in any way, shape or form," Newsom said. "Even legal immigrants are fearful. This just sends a chill to a lot of people. There are a lot of cities that want these raids. That's where the federal government should be spending their time."

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
"There are a lot of cities that wants these raids" I guess that would be any normal city in the US, which San Francisco is not.

So San Francisco is outside Federal Law, this mayor typifies what's wrong with immigration policy today. He sells himself for votes. I guess it's going to take something nastier than 911 to wake up the collective minds of these babbling idiots. On both sides of aisle.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
First off...

...One thing aint the other. Yes they are here illegally, that doesn't make it OK for a dealership to commit fraud. The dealership should face both civil and municipal actions, they should be punished if they committed a crime, period. The illegal immigrants should either face criminal charges for identity theft or be deported, or both. It aint rocket science.

Jack

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
HAHA,i think its fantastic,crap like that is exactly what happens when politicans try their hardest to make a 100% non judgemental society & the public goes right along with them.

If the car dealer would have rejected them for being illegal & using stolen id's he'd of been all over the new's as being a racist,how else would an illegal get a car loan?

Get used to it guys cause there is alot more crap like that comming.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Unlawful immigrants bust shady dealership. In this trial everybody wins! :D

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
...One thing aint the other. Yes they are here illegally, that doesn't make it OK for a dealership to commit fraud. The dealership should face both civil and municipal actions, they should be punished if they committed a crime, period. The illegal immigrants should either face criminal charges for identity theft or be deported, or both. It aint rocket science.

Jack
Could this be a truly racist law that creates a racist class when it is posed by politicians as anti-racist legislation. I hope this action goes all the way to the Supreme Court. (What the hell is Tomorrow saying??!)

Here is a summary of the violation of a California statute from the OP article..."Failure to provide Spanish language copies of their sales and financing agreements, as required by California law." Well people, why should these agreements be required by law to be in Spanish, but not Hebrew, Italian, German, etc? This is an English speaking country, is it not? I would ask...why not make it available in English only, OR in all languages of current legal and illegal immigrants?! Why does California law provide biased legislation by not providing these forms to Iraqis, Russians, Romanians, Poles, Japanese, etc, but provides special benefits to Hispanics? Because there are more of them in California? That's not a usable definition of minority or 'protected' group classification.

Fruitcakes and nuts...their number 1 export. Welcome to The People's Republic of Kalifornica. ;)

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
See tomorrow's post above.

My god,thank you:)

Im trying real hard not to put my foot in my mouth on this one,i have a tendency to be as non pc as can be so i figured i'd copy your post instead of saying what i really think but its close to what you said:D

This country & the people in it are in serious trouble.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan

Jack
Exactly. The defense that there wouldn't have been any negotiation or need for spanish language contracts if the immigrants hadn't used a fraudulent social security number is ridiculous.

It would be like saying that a bar owner shouldn't be held responsible for serving too much alcohol to a minor that ends up killing someone because the minor presented a fake ID to get the alchohol.

The car dealer should be prosecuted so they can't take advantage of other Latinos that are legal AND the illegal immigrants should be prosecuted for ID theft and then deported.

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
Those illegals are trying to learn to adapt our culture (on sueing). Most likely with the advice of their liars or lawyers.

I agree that the stealership or the dealership have violated the state law.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
The "Law Firm" that's pulling this outrage oughta be tarred and feathered...Of course, that's just my opinion - I could be wrong;)

B

Buckeye_Nut

LINK

Should a person who is in the United States illegally and used a fraudulent Social Security number to buy a car be able to sue the selling dealer for fraud?

Dont Illegal aliens have rights too?

:rolleyes:

Matt34

Matt34

The democrats and ACLU will make sure these Mexican's get their due justice.

Dont Illegal aliens have rights too?

:rolleyes:
I'm surprised the DA office didn't offer immunity to the illegals for there testimony against the dealership. :rolleyes:

T

tomahawktim

Audioholic Intern
I think Jack Hammer got it right.

Folks, I could regale you with tales of Canada's ridiculous immigration laws and the situation here but my blood pressure will go sky high and anyways I've got to get back to work so I can pay more taxes to pay for the immigration mess.

(whew! Alright, blood pressure up but I'll be o.k.)

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
A shady car dealership obviously took advantage of a bunch of non-English speaking customers. Granted, those customers used fraudulent ID's to make the purchase. Nevertheless, this still does not excuse the dealership's shady business practice.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
What do you guys think? If the shoe was in the other foot and Americans did this in Mexico, what do you think the outcome would be? Do you know what they do to illegal aliens in Mexico? Look it up, no sanctuary cities, no medical treatment, no due process, no anything, just jail. BTW, Mexican jails aren't like ours, over there they're real jails. But I'm sure its our fault, you know, us evil Americans we start all the problems and hell the planet is going to melt because, well because, we're Americans and it's always our fault.

B

Buckeye_Nut

How can a person who we deport to Mexico sue anybody? Oh yeah, they aren't being deported...
LOL

That struck me as being so very sad and funny at the very same time. Aaaaah yes, the very unfortunate thing called reality.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis