If you've ordered from Monoprice.com recently check your credit card activity...

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
I found this thread by accident, and now I know where the two $1 charges from itunes came from...Thankfully, that was the only charges i've had

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
I found this thread by accident, and now I know where the two $1 charges from itunes came from...Thankfully, that was the only charges i've had
I'd suggest you still cancel that card if you haven't. There's nothing stopping them from using it again and putting more charges on it.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'd suggest you still cancel that card if you haven't. There's nothing stopping them from using it again and putting more charges on it.
From what I've heard, thieves will sometimes test a card number with a small charge, just to ensure it works, then sell it.

B

blackzarg

Junior Audioholic
Is it safe to order from them yet? Supposedly they have revamped their security settings...however my IP blocker still has them on the list for "Ads, Spyware, Bogons, etc." (shortly after people began reporting monoprice was hacked, my IP blocker added them to the list).

R

ragged

Senior Audioholic
Buy one of those reloadable visa cards from the grocery store. Use that to buy online and add more money to it when needed.

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Or, just use your CC and balance your monthly statement to look for fraudlent items.

Over the year of having a credit card, I have had the number taken a few times. Once, my wife dropped it in a sams club parking lot, a day or two before Black Friday, and they went on a shopping spree. I have also had the number stolen on probably 5 - 10 other occassions.

The CC companies always waived any liabilty to me for the fraud charges. The only inconvience was having to wait 5 - 10 days for a new card. So I would prefer the benefits of the card vs using a gift card.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Or, just use your CC and balance your monthly statement to look for fraudlent items.

Over the year of having a credit card, I have had the number taken a few times. Once, my wife dropped it in a sams club parking lot, a day or two before Black Friday, and they went on a shopping spree. I have also had the number stolen on probably 5 - 10 other occassions.

The CC companies always waived any liabilty to me for the fraud charges. The only inconvience was having to wait 5 - 10 days for a new card. So I would prefer the benefits of the card vs using a gift card.
Holy moly! Do you have neon sign on your back saying "Please steal my CC number!"? Having your CC stolen all those times, must be equivalent to getting hit by lightening twice! Or, am I that naive? I've never had a CC and/or CC number stolen in the last 20+ years. I'll take your word for it, since you're telling us this.

Please don't take this personally, because I'm not accusing you of anything. But, if I was somebody at a CC company, where the bottom line is all that matters and I was giving your account history the hairy eyeball, I'd be awfully suspicious...

Stereodude

Stereodude

Senior Audioholic
Buy one of those reloadable visa cards from the grocery store. Use that to buy online and add more money to it when needed.
I'm not sure this is a good idea. If you have a $100 card, use $20 of it, someone can steal the other $80 and your out of luck. At least with a real credit card you have some recourse.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm not sure this is a good idea. If you have a $100 card, use $20 of it, someone can steal the other $80 and your out of luck. At least with a real credit card you have some recourse.
Totally agree. I think it's all about vigilance... I take the 20-30 minutes a month to run through all of the charges on my main credit card, the joint card I share with my wife, and any ATM withdrawal and/or charges on my debit card to make sure that I recognize everything. It's worth it for my piece of mind, plus it helps me know where all of my money is going!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis