I want to upgrade to Martin Logan 60XT

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I own the Salon2's smaller sibling (Studio2's), I would be surprised if you didn't like the Salon's. Hopefully they are at a good price point for you.

As for Martin Logan, prior to my Revel purchase a couple years back I listened to di-poles for 35 years (Maggies & Logans), in the right room, set up correctly and driven by good amplification(I'll await a response on this), they were magic. IMO, nothing does piano like a good stat.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely consider Revel.
Or...

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
It was a late night last night. I demo'd the Revel Salon 2 versus the Paradigm 7F for about 5 hours. After working a 10 hour day. What I came away with? Content is everything. These stereo stores will demo anything you request. But if you don't ask they will play the highest quality produced music with the highest bit rate through a superior dac. So when I request Black Sabbath, Queensryche, Iron Maiden my Klipsch are just as impressive as the $29k speakers I was listening to. If I want these speakers to live up to there potential I need to find a better source for music. Youtube is not gonna get me where I need to go.

I negotiated a deal last night. A deal almost to good to pass. Pre-owned mint condition no warranty Revel Salon 2 and the store demo fully warranted Anthem STR $13,500 out the door no tax.

Can I afford it? I have to make a few sacrifices the next 8 months. Will I ever be able to fully enjoy everything these are capable of? T Only if I move out of my townhouse and buy a house. They are very intimidating pretty darn huge they stand over 4 1/2 feet. Its the first thing you'll see walking into my house. They are beautiful but would look totally out of place in my little 14'x14' living room.

The Salon 2 for my style music sounded much better than the 7F. Really they kinda blew away the 7F. My Klipsch sounded nearly as good as these $25k retail 7F.

Such a good deal.....what to do...Who mentioned they spent a year shopping for speakers? I think this may be the better path. Shop Shop Shop

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
It was a late night last night. I demo'd the Revel Salon 2 versus the Paradigm 7F for about 5 hours. After working a 10 hour day. What I came away with? Content is everything. These stereo stores will demo anything you request. But if you don't ask they will play the highest quality produced music with the highest bit rate through a superior dac. So when I request Black Sabbath, Queensryche, Iron Maiden my Klipsch are just as impressive as the $29k speakers I was listening to. If I want these speakers to live up to there potential I need to find a better source for music. Youtube is not gonna get me where I need to go.

I negotiated a deal last night. A deal almost to good to pass. Pre-owned mint condition no warranty Revel Salon 2 and the store demo fully warranted Anthem STR $13,500 out the door no tax.

Can I afford it? I have to make a few sacrifices the next 8 months. Will I ever be able to fully enjoy everything these are capable of? T Only if I move out of my townhouse and buy a house. They are very intimidating pretty darn huge they stand over 4 1/2 feet. Its the first thing you'll see walking into my house. They are beautiful but would look totally out of place in my little 14'x14' living room.

The Salon 2 for my style music sounded much better than the 7F. Really they kinda blew away the 7F. My Klipsch sounded nearly as good as these $25k retail 7F.

Such a good deal.....what to do...Who mentioned they spent a year shopping for speakers? I think this may be the better path. Shop Shop Shop

Nice purchase! What do you plan on using to power those beasts?

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
Nice purchase! What do you plan on using to power those beasts?
I guess I wasn't clear if I had made the purchase. I did not buy, I am considering this offer. The Salon 2 are absolutely Stunning. But in my room they look like they wanna come over and kick you ass. They have some muscle to them. Both speakers, paradigm and revel, were being powered by the anthem str. Anthem offers room correction, we did not do that. we plugged a peachtree into the anthem and speakers into the Anthem. I didn't realize how ignorant I was. I mean I own a LG 65" Oled and I know if I want the best picture I have to download good content. Obviously the same goes for music. drrrrrr. Yep, I'm a newbie. It's fun learning :)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
When you get into the realm of Salon2 and the Paradigm 7F (I demoed the 5 and 3), the source takes on a much more important role in your SQ.

Streaming MP3 files won't sound as a good as 16/44 and in some cases depending on your individual hearing, you could benefit from hi res recordings. In general, with transparent speakers...what goes in is what comes out.

So you are right about upgrading the source for a pair of speakers such as those.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
I was doing quite a bit of research on room acoustics. I learned no matter what you do perfection is not attainable, but improvement is. I like my svs pb3000 turned up. I enjoy the pounding and thumping in my chest and throughout my theater room. I had everything tacked down. But when I watched Midway this past Sunday everything was rattling again. There is just a ton of lfe in this film. It was a really good movie and a must see in a well together theater room. I am shopping acoustic panels and looking for feed back suggestions? I think these would look good behind me on my back wall, but not sure how well they perform?

And these other ones for the ceiling?

Attachments

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
Is anyone interested in crash coursing me how to drive a pair of Revel Salon 2 with the Anthem STR power amp? I know I'm not worthy to own this kind of system yet. For one I'm a newbie and two I haven't earned the right to play with Big Boy toy's. But this deal that's been offered is to good to pass. What's the point of owning something you can't drive.

I don't want to think of myself like a Tracy Morgan, buy a race car, Bugatti Veyron, with a learner's permit and crash it.

I know I need a Dac, I am considering the Marantz HD-Dac1, on sale at amazon for $550. I will only and always listen to digital music. I can subscribe to Amazon unlimited for $7.99/mo, they have HD music. If I download music I believe I should be looking for Flac files. I am well aware I need to make my music room and my theatre room acoustically sound. Thanks for any help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is anyone interested in crash coursing me how to drive a pair of Revel Salon 2 with the Anthem STR power amp? I know I'm not worthy to own this kind of system yet. For one I'm a newbie and two I haven't earned the right to play with Big Boy toy's. But this deal that's been offered is to good to pass. What's the point of owning something you can't drive.

I don't want to think of myself like a Tracy Morgan, buy a race car, Bugatti Veyron, with a learner's permit and crash it.

I know I need a Dac, I am considering the Marantz HD-Dac1, on sale at amazon for $550. I will only and always listen to digital music. I can subscribe to Amazon unlimited for $7.99/mo, they have HD music. If I download music I believe I should be looking for Flac files. I am well aware I need to make my music room and my theatre room acoustically sound. Thanks for any help
Uh, you hook the amp up to the speakers and play something to listen to.....it doesn't come with qualifications other than your wallet. $550 for a dac sounds ridiculous, does it give you massages or something? Besides, the STR integrated amp has a dac already....

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Like loveinthehd said, you don't need a separate DAC. Save the money. That Anthem is a high end piece that includes everything you need for Hi-Fi music. If you are going to need something for processing for TV, 4k player, etc. You need to get a Pre/Pro. Marantz makes some very solid Pre/Pro's. Get yourself some nice balanced cables from Blue Jeans Cable website. Boom, you're set. Also, sign up for Tidal music. They have a huge library of Hi-Fi audio. It's $20/month.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
Uh, you hook the amp up to the speakers and play something to listen to.....it doesn't come with qualifications other than your wallet. $550 for a dac sounds ridiculous, does it give you massages or something? Besides, the STR integrated amp has a dac already....
I wish it was that easy. That would be like saying anyone can get behind a Maclaren P1 and drive it. Sure, I might get it off the lot and hope I don't hit something, or I can learn how to drive it and take it on a track. Maybe the Revel's aren't a P1 but they could be the Corvette Z06. The Anthem STR Power Amp does not have a DAC 400 watts x 2 (8 ohms); 600 watts x 2 (4 ohms). I already have a theatre room for tv, I'm still working on that system. ryan had suggested I just do a system for music. And a week later that's what I decided. I went from looking at Martin Logan 60's to Paradigm??!! I woulda never even considered what I'm doing had this deal, to good to pass, hadn't presented itself. I will look into Tidal. The sales guy's have been pretty helpful, I'm just trying to pick up as much as I can on this forum. Thanks

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I wish it was that easy. That would be like saying anyone can get behind a Maclaren P1 and drive it. Sure, I might get it off the lot and hope I don't hit something, or I can learn how to drive it and take it on a track. Maybe the Revel's aren't a P1 but they could be the Corvette Z06. The Anthem STR Power Amp does not have a DAC 400 watts x 2 (8 ohms); 600 watts x 2 (4 ohms). I already have a theatre room for tv, I'm still working on that system. ryan had suggested I just do a system for music. And a week later that's what I decided. I went from looking at Martin Logan 60's to Paradigm??!! I woulda never even considered what I'm doing had this deal, to good to pass, hadn't presented itself. I will look into Tidal. The sales guy's have been pretty helpful, I'm just trying to pick up as much as I can on this forum. Thanks

If you are looking for something that is just used for music and something that would pair nicely with those high end speakers I would look at the NAD M12. I wouldn't waste your time or money going with cheap stuff. If you jump on these speakers and Amp, you're now diving into the world of high end equipment. You wouldn't want to pair some cheap garbage with nice equipment, you'd just end up coming back to the market spending more to upgrade. Get the best that your budget allows.

Also, get yourself some solid balanced cables. Don't buy into the snake oil with some of the "higher end" cables. See what your sales guy recommends. I'm sure it will be something along the lines of AudioQuest. Which, if they recommend that brand, be prepared to drop another $200-$600 on cables depending on which element you choose.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
T
This Anthem STR?

It does have a DAC. it has UsB, Toslink and Coax digital inputs. Now if yours is different, then ignore me.

How are you connecting it? To your computer? Are you using USB or a cord from the headphone jack?
this one

I thought this was a good review

And yes my intentions are to ethernet my laptop and from there usb to a dac. See, I'm a newbie, you say I can stream music into the power amp via usb? I have some more reading to do

I am happy to finally make the decision and go ahead and make the purchase. Ugh I had to sleep on it for a few days. I've started the process of buttering up my neighbor. I live in a townhouse and my neighbor is a 2 time widow, 70 year old woman. I need to ask permission if it's ok? :) If I ask first her response is always yes. If I don't ask she gets crabby. I know this from experience after I purchased my first svs pb3000.She was a bit taken back from the noise filtering into her home. So before I received my second pb3k I asked first. No complaints.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
If you are looking for something that is just used for music and something that would pair nicely with those high end speakers I would look at the NAD M12. I wouldn't waste your time or money going with cheap stuff. If you jump on these speakers and Amp, you're now diving into the world of high end equipment. You wouldn't want to pair some cheap garbage with nice equipment, you'd just end up coming back to the market spending more to upgrade. Get the best that your budget allows.

Also, get yourself some solid balanced cables. Don't buy into the snake oil with some of the "higher end" cables. See what your sales guy recommends. I'm sure it will be something along the lines of AudioQuest. Which, if they recommend that brand, be prepared to drop another $200-$600 on cables depending on which element you choose.

Thanks for that. I'll start shopping cables. I thought that's what an audioholic was? Someone who is ALWAYS upgrading. I wanted to leave myself a little room to upgrade in the fall. Like get the matching pre-amp.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

T

this one

I thought this was a good review

And yes my intentions are to ethernet my laptop and from there usb to a dac. See, I'm a newbie, you say I can stream music into the power amp via usb? I have some more reading to do

I am happy to finally make the decision and go ahead and make the purchase. Ugh I had to sleep on it for a few days. I've started the process of buttering up my neighbor. I live in a townhouse and my neighbor is a 2 time widow, 70 year old woman. I need to ask permission if it's ok? :) If I ask first her response is always yes. If I don't ask she gets crabby. I know this from experience after I purchased my first svs pb3000.She was a bit taken back from the noise filtering into her home. So before I received my second pb3k I asked first. No complaints.
No you will need a DAC, I just wasn't sure if you got the integrated or not. Beautiful amp, by the way!

I don't know your budget so I won't make a recommendation, but in my opinion you should go for a preamp with built in DAC.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Thanks for that. I'll start shopping cables. I thought that's what an audioholic was? Someone who is ALWAYS upgrading. I wanted to leave myself a little room to upgrade in the fall. Like get the matching pre-amp.
To some extent you are correct, with regards to upgrading. But if you purchase a solid system right away, you won't need to upgrade for quite some time. Unless you decide that what you purchased doesn't sound right or you're having other issues that kind of force you to change your setup. Speaker technology doesn't get updated as fast as electronics for the masses.

I think with your two channel setup what you're about to purchase will last 10+ years easily. Maybe down the line you integrate a center channel to go with them.

I'm more home theater vs music, but I do enjoy listening to some high quality music from time to time.

2channel lover

From what you came in here thinking about ML 60s, to where you are now...I feel like you've moved incredibly fast.

Salon2...incredible speaker.

Your next most important purchase will be the source player. Not the power/processor.

If you are looking at that amp linked...you're correct, no DAC....$6k? The integrated amp does have a DAC. $4.5k

86 dB sensitivity rating is not real efficient but you could spend far less money to make those Salon2s sing.

If you wanted a very reasonably priced pre/pro + amp set up...I'd look at the Outlaw 976, and a couple of the M2200 mono blocks....Less than $1500 and you have all the power you need.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
From what you came in here thinking about ML 60s, to where you are now...I feel like you've moved incredibly fast.

Salon2...incredible speaker.

Your next most important purchase will be the source player. Not the power/processor.

If you are looking at that amp linked...you're correct, no DAC....$6k? The integrated amp does have a DAC. $4.5k

86 dB sensitivity rating is not real efficient but you could spend far less money to make those Salon2s sing.

If you wanted a very reasonably priced pre/pro + amp set up...I'd look at the Outlaw 976, and a couple of the M2200 mono blocks....Less than $1500 and you have all the power you need.
Thanks for all the reply's. Looking at ML 60XTI's last weekend was not enough of an upgrade to what I already have. Which is all Klipsch 7.2.4 svs subs. Pictures were posted earlier in this post. Because I was so disappointed in Best Buy and ABT what they had to offer, and why would I have expected anything more, I stopped bye my local High Def store. I was not expecting to even consider purchasing from these guy's, it's all high end. I did however want to hear what high end sounds like compared to my morning at Big retail. I was absolutely blown away listening to Paradigm 7F. Way out of my league. So I asked all you and you all had great speakers to look at. So I did that. During my search I just happened to stumble onto a pre-owned pair of Revel Salon 2. And the price of $9500 was just too good to pass. The Anthem is heavily discounted because it's there store demo with a full 5 year warranty. I started with a budget of $3200. I realized right away $3200 was not even close to what I needed to spend to get what I was striving for. So I tripled my budget, and here we are. A deal to good to pass.

I am passed my budget. Right now I just want to get them home and start them up. An inexpensive dac with a Tidal subscription and some wires should get me started. Then come fall, maybe Black friday I will upgrade with the pre-amp and a better dac if I need it. Because I have no experience and I'm just learning as I go. I can play around, read and work on my room's acoustics.

In response to the outlaws. I don't know anything about them. I have been reading up on these Revel and they are not very efficient and require some power to make them sing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis