I thought you guys were stupid for having multiple pairs of headphones, until...

K

kalpitaru

Audiophyte
...my Anandas died after 2 years of daily use. I always thought "why have multiple pairs if you can have one really good pair?" Well, I had my 6XX's shelved for 2 years. I immediatly switched and got adjusted to them the next day. And they sound great too! Sure they don't have the same imaging capabilities and clarity as the Anandas but wow they sound pleasant still! omegle xender
Lesson learned: keep multiple pairs, even if you think you'll never use your old ones again.

Last edited:
j_dewitt

j_dewitt

Enthusiast
100% true, I had a similar story, and I did not like the moment when I was left without headphones. Now I have three pairs :)

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I have three for different uses.

My best is a wired Bose noise cancelling set for when I really want to actively listen and which I used to use on airplanes when I had to travel.

A wired over ear open air Sennheiser for when I don't want to be cut off from the world but want great sound. I only use them in the house and really only in bed when I might spend 3 hours listening before going to sleep finally

A wired inexpensive set of open on ear that are not the best but when I am doing stuff around the house or outside and want some background music but again don't want to be cut off from the world. I don't turn them up too loud.

I don't go wireless because I don't want another D**n thing to keep charged and for best quality I don't think that I want Bluetooth.

C

CharlesJones166

Audioholic Intern
Of course, it never hurts to be prepared.:D

JakeO

JakeO

Audiophyte
I have three for different uses.

My best is a wired Bose noise cancelling set for when I really want to actively listen and which I used to use on airplanes when I had to travel.

A wired over ear open air Sennheiser for when I don't want to be cut off from the world but want great sound. I only use them in the house and really only in bed when I might spend 3 hours listening before going to sleep finally

A wired inexpensive set of open on ear that are not the best but when I am doing stuff around the house or outside and want some background music but again don't want to be cut off from the world. I don't turn them up too loud.

I don't go wireless because I don't want another D**n thing to keep charged and for best quality I don't think that I want Bluetooth.
Hands down agree about wireless! Also gonna charge 'em constantly(I do have wireless noise supress "plugs" for practicing at the local gun range and it's absolutely infuriating when you find out you've forgot to charge those...
Bose is a game changer for flights that's for sure(got Quiet Comfort 45 myself, pretty much can't fly without those).
Agree on having inexpensive set(I'm usually using those while bike riding 'cause I don't want to damage my good pairs if something happens, also gotta hear at least SOMETHINGS around after all).

I did however get 2 identical pairs of my Bose just incase :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I have a few headphones and amps, and none of them sound the same, plus some of the headphones are more comfortable than others depending on the day/time and listening session.

Last edited:
crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Bose is a game changer for flights that's for sure(got Quiet Comfort 45 myself, pretty much can't fly without those).
Mine appear to be older. The QuietComfort® 15. They sound excellent. I did have to replace the foam ear cushions. Those long flights back and forth to Asia and trying to sleep with them on roughed the cushions up some.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Different phones for different usage. 5 pairs for me and a pair of Bose earbuds. I don't generally discard my old ones when I buy new. The current rotation consists of Senn 599ses and Grado 60is. The Bose are used for my daily walk.
Cheap Panasonics for use with my PC and AKG 240s and Senn pro 280s in storage.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
...my Anandas died after 2 years of daily use. I always thought "why have multiple pairs if you can have one really good pair?" Well, I had my 6XX's shelved for 2 years. I immediatly switched and got adjusted to them the next day. And they sound great too! Sure they don't have the same imaging capabilities and clarity as the Anandas but wow they sound pleasant still! omegle xender
Lesson learned: keep multiple pairs, even if you think you'll never use your old ones again.
I have one pair of main headphones and another back up one that has squeaky headband so if my main one dies . I’ll probably buy a new pair . Heck I’m considering buying a new pair anyways. Akg240 are my mainstay .

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
I started getting back into headphones during covid when son had to switch to home schooling. I had already had a pair of Bose QC15 with replaced ear foam. That tech is now very old and much cheaper headphones have surpassed sound and noise reduction quality but new Bose are also rated well. I try to only get one pair of each type so I do a lot of research and decide well before choosing. Using Balanced Cables are important as well as an appropriate desk or portable DAC. Comparable to the Anandas I have Audese LCD-X. I quickly grew tired of them because none of the reviews stressed how freaking heavy they were. I could only wear them an hour or two and I need to use them all day while I work form home. For work calls I use Focal Listen Beyond or Bowers & Wilkins Px7. For quality I decided to buy Focal Stelias(I got mine before Gene got his!) and the Focal Arche. Great decision, I am still very happy despite the cost, they have filled my head with blissful joy. For ear buds I use the apple EarPods Pro2 second generation. Bass is a bit overwhelming and overall sound quality not great but noise cancelling is great. When My IV line started beeping in hospital I'd put them in and couldn't hear anything!! My best ear buds are Bowers & Wilkins PI 7. Sound with incredible detail! Truly good and I listen to them almost daily! More recently I researched IEMs. I saw cheap ones and expensive ones. I wanted to buy 1 pair and be happy and not have to ever look for better. My research led me to MoonDrop S8. At the same time I purchased a balanced cable for them. GUCraftsman 4.4 2 pin balanced cable (major upgrade and improvement) along with Comply foam tips to help seal in the sound. I use these with either my portable DAC or desk DAC and the sound is even more detailed than my Stellias at less than 1/3rd the cost. The Imaging is better than over ear Stellia headphones. I am shocked. But still would not give up my Stellias as they have some advantages and are a different type of headphone. I now feel my headphone journey is complete. I have open ear, closed backed, wireless earbuds and a few wired that I haven't even mentioned and one pair of very good IEMs. Very happy with my headphones. Tip - Always use Balanced cables and if ear buds, use the tips that seal in the sound best for you. For me it's foam.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, it is a mystery, and while I wanted to settle on a pair of headphones, I now have 3 sets >> the AKG K371 .. Mackie MC-350 .. Sennheiser HD 569

I tend to like the Mackie the best as it seems to balance what I was looking for with the Sennheiser and AKG ... But I can see where some may not like the Mackie .. and on the side, I have 2 cheapy Koss ones to toy with >> the Koss KPH30ik and KTXPRO1 ... and I am surprised how good they are, and for those who might not be real nit-pickers, the Koss can work for many .. but I continue to be a nit-picker concerning audio

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, it is a mystery, and while I wanted to settle on a pair of headphones, I now have 3 sets >> the AKG K371 .. Mackie MC-350 .. Sennheiser HD 569

I tend to like the Mackie the best as it seems to balance what I was looking for with the Sennheiser and AKG ... But I can see where some may not like the Mackie .. and on the side, I have 2 cheapy Koss ones to toy with >> the Koss KPH30ik and KTXPRO1 ... and I am surprised how good they are, and for those who might not be real nit-pickers, the Koss can work for many .. but I continue to be a nit-picker concerning audio
I've been thinking of adding a Koss KPH30 or 40 because they get good reviews and are so cheap. I could replace am cheap Panasonics for use with my PC also hook them up to my main system on occasion. How do you like them, and do they seem sturdy? The only knock on them that I can find is they are prone to snap in two.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I've been thinking of adding a Koss KPH30 or 40 because they get good reviews and are so cheap. I could replace am cheap Panasonics for use with my PC also hook them up to my main system on occasion. How do you like them, and do they seem sturdy? The only knock on them that I can find is they are prone to snap in two.
These actually sound amazingly good for the price. I use them mainly for outdoor exercise when I don't want to risk a more expensive unit or tooling around when I don't want to be isolated from the world, and a winter hat can fit over them.

Koss Porta Pro On Ear Headphones

Their only flaw is that the OEM foam padding is not so good. But when these aftermarket pads are added they are very comfortable.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, I would add those earpads if I purchase the 30s. What color did you end up with?

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
I have silver mainly because they are easier to spot/find if they are in my backpack.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I like them a lot for what they can do, .. they lack some depth and layering in music compared to the better more expensive headphones .. but they come close .. the build quality is somewhat fragile, but if you are careful, they can last .. all in all, at there price, easy to replace and still save some money .. but Koss has good customer service, and has been known to send a new pair with a small fee.

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Agree on having inexpensive set(I'm usually using those while bike riding 'cause I don't want to damage my good pairs if something happens, also gotta hear at least SOMETHINGS around after all).

I did however get 2 identical pairs of my Bose just incase :D
So I own the Bose QC35s (gen 2 I think?) and on a recent trip I did a quick comparison between them and my AirPods Pro 2 and I'll be damned that the AirPods sounded better and had better isolation than the Bose. They were also more comfortable. I need to try my Shure SE535s I use for drumming now that I got their bluetooth "Secure Fit Adapter". Love the customization of the PEQ on their app as well. But yeah, Bose was my go-to for noise canceling forever. Thumbs up for sure. (Shure?)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I like them a lot for what they can do, .. they lack some depth and layering in music compared to the better more expensive headphones .. but they come close .. the build quality is somewhat fragile, but if you are careful, they can last .. all in all, at there price, easy to replace and still save some money .. but Koss has good customer service, and has been known to send a new pair with a small fee.
Thanks, I will definitely be watching Amazon for sales. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis