I read the reviews watched vids...still a question about PB-2000 Pro vs PB-3000

T

The Jay

Enthusiast
My room is 12'7"x22x7'7". Configuration is being changed in that room. It was 5.1. We are rebuilding and aiming for 7.2.4 Atmos. All speakers besides subs are Goldenear, now owned by some company built on selling snake oil cables...but I digress....LCR are Triton 2+, Supercenter Reference. Sides and rears are MPXs, overheads are HTR-7000s.

In that room, I did have a single PB-2000 running with the Tritons before we tore down drywall. I liked it but always planned to go duals. I figured I'd be content just adding another 2000 to the mix once we finished the room (eta spring).
But now the 2000 pros are out.
So my plan was to sell off the older 2000 and order a pair of 2000 Pros.

Ahh but then I started thinking....you've all been here before......

If I'm upgrading, do I want to go another step? To a pair of PB-3000s?

I read Jamie Larson's reviews of both subs. I've watched YouTube vids and I get that the 3000 is 'closer to the 4000 than the 2000'...but it's not a cheap move up here in Canada. A PB2000 Pro is 1249$, and the 3000 is $1850. If I buy and then want to exchange you can't just ship em back up here I'd have to haul them to the dealer. Without details, let's just say that is a big deal, there are complications, and it would be so much easier if I could be sure and make the right choice.

**What I don't get a sense of in all those reviews is a sense of what will I hear/feel differently in the 3000 compared to the 2000 Pro? And how much more pronounced is it? I need to know to justify the extra expense, esp going duals. **

We are into a good mix of blu rays, games and music in that room.
The old 2000 was great for that...there were times when I'd yearn for just a bit more SPL, but wouldn't need much.
I particularly get a kick out of it when bass is subtle and things like doors closing sound so real. Ialso get an immense smile feeling those low bluesy guitar and bass tones and the kick of a bass drum excites as much as a U571 depthcharge.

Think dual 2000 Pros are enough? Or are the gains with 3000 just that damn good?
I guess just some more opinions, along the lines above, are what I need.

Thanks guys

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
My room is 12'7"x22x7'7". Configuration is being changed in that room. It was 5.1. We are rebuilding and aiming for 7.2.4 Atmos. All speakers besides subs are Goldenear, now owned by some company built on selling snake oil cables...but I digress....LCR are Triton 2+, Supercenter Reference. Sides and rears are MPXs, overheads are HTR-7000s.

In that room, I did have a single PB-2000 running with the Tritons before we tore down drywall. I liked it but always planned to go duals. I figured I'd be content just adding another 2000 to the mix once we finished the room (eta spring).

I read Jamie Larson's reviews of both subs. I've watched YouTube vids and I get that the 3000 is 'closer to the 4000 than the 2000'...but it's not a cheap move up here in Canada. A PB2000 Pro is 1249$, and the 3000 is $1850. If I buy and then want to exchange you can't just ship em back up here I'd have to haul them to the dealer. Without details, let's just say that is a big deal, there are complications, and it would be so much easier if I could be sure and make the right choice.

**What I don't get a sense of in all those reviews is a sense of what will I hear/feel differently in the 3000 compared to the 2000 Pro? And how much more pronounced is it? I need to know to justify the extra expense, esp going duals. **

The old 2000 was great for that...there were times when I'd yearn for just a bit more SPL, but wouldn't need much.
I particularly get a kick out of it when bass is subtle and things like doors closing sound so real. Ialso get an immense smile feeling those low bluesy guitar and bass tones and the kick of a bass drum excites as much as a U571 depthcharge.

Think dual 2000 Pros are enough? Or are the gains with 3000 just that damn good?

Thanks guys
It's hard to know because no reviews have been done on the pro 2000 yet. If it's as big a step up to the older versions as the new 3000 are to the old pb12+ line they replaced then it will be impressive indeed.

The new PB 3000 really improved a lot hell like u said they match the 4000 from around 25 to 30 Hz on up and even beat it above 80hz to 120hz. That's an impressive upgrade

Now will the PB 2000 pro be that much of a step up as well from the old 2000 line? We won't know until some reviews go out. Is there any way you can hold off on purchasing until some reviews with actual measurements comes out? Or is this a purchase your needing right now?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Thanks guys
By the way nice setup those 3 triton across the front must sound sweet as hell. If you don't mind me asking what do you cross them over at to blend them in with the sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So the room is essentially same volume still? And one PB2000 almost satisfied? Seems two of the new/improved would probably do it to my mind (or see if they have some killer deal on a left over PB2000 even....). Never had an SVS sub, tho. I diy these days as that's where the gradual upgrade thing got me :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Is your room sealed off from the rest of the house, or open?

2000'3 roughly isn't that big, and the 2 2000s would probably suffice. What you'll get, I think with the 3000s is going to be a little more output and presence (more displacement from larger cones) and more headroom. Mind, I have two subs that are a wee bit overkill in a 2000'3 room, too. Its not a bad thing. ;)

If the room is open, I'd consider stepping up to bigger subs in the 3000... or something else.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For all the advances that the 2000 Pro series have over the regular 2000s, I wouldn't expect a huge jump in performance over the 2000s, but the 3000s really do have a major jump in performance over the 2000s. I think the 3000s are worth the premium. We are talking double the mid-bass output.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For all the advances that the 2000 Pro series have over the regular 2000s, I wouldn't expect a huge jump in performance over the 2000s, but the 3000s really do have a major jump in performance over the 2000s. I think the 3000s are worth the premium. We are talking double the mid-bass output.
Yeah I can't believe the jump in midbass on those 3000's seriously addressing one of there sometimes weak areas with some people

I'm just so curious about the pro 2000's can't wait someday to see an official review. I own a pb 2000 for the bedroom setup and plan on eventually going dual ( just because ) Lol
But I'm going to wait on some reviews before I decide which one to go with

I got a sweet deal on the PB 2000 and if I can get another deal like that I'm going that route unless the pros totally blow them out of the water

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Is your room sealed off from the rest of the house, or open?

2000'3 roughly isn't that big, and the 2 2000s would probably suffice. What you'll get, I think with the 3000s is going to be a little more output and presence (more displacement from larger cones) and more headroom. Mind, I have two subs that are a wee bit overkill in a 2000'3 room, too. Its not a bad thing. ;)

If the room is open, I'd consider stepping up to bigger subs in the 3000... or something else.
I gotta agree just the one pb 2000 in my bedroom is total overkill but the extra headroom is NIIIICCEEE. if you can afford it going after the 3000 is not a bad idea.

T

The Jay

Enthusiast
It's in the basement Sealed best we can...channel clips DD gG....
I just had the towers all crossed over at 80, seemed best for me 9' away usually..yes I just liked the tone of the tritons I know many disagree. Thanks for the opinions...still on fence

T

The Jay

Enthusiast
To answer, the theatre was part of a open, 'L' shaped part of the basement. Goal of the Reno was to partition the space so the theatre will be its own rectangle space, and to do some sound muffling with double 5/8 type x, green glue, clips n channel, etc.

Now here's some thing, got bored upstairs with my other, smaller, 'lifestyle' system. It's still rocking a panny GT 60 I bought in 2013, had Goldenear supersat 3's all round and a single PC2000
Just replaced the front left and right with Supersat 60s, and a new PC2000 pro.

I've only started to play with it, but so far:
- instructions said to run auddysey with the sub at -10. It wound up way too high and I turned it down to 13 and ran it again That was better
- having access to the app is so handy, love this, have to have this on any new sub purchase now. I adjusted the phase from the couch I played with settings when I was in the kitchen where it's boomier...it's great
- defiantly feel a bit of extra power It's not much, but the subs presence is more profound, most notably in soundtracks of a subtle nature in particular scenes I still have to really play with it more but so far I like it

Still on the fence, 2 of these or pb-3000s for downstairs If 3000s will go further with that presence; I think that's one of the things I dig

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis