i need help with some oldish speakers and amp

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Static like a weak radio signal when using the built-in tuner? Or static with any input selected? Going into protect is no longer happening? Can you get some speaker wire/zip cord ?
i'm getting static noise through the speakers while trying to connect to a radio station, i didn't manage to get the frequency exactely right, but close enough so i was expecting some kind of understandble noise coming through the speakers, i've gotta point it our that static noise wasn't always present, sometimes i would turn it on and it would play the static noise, sometimes it would just stay completely muted, maybe the built in tuner is busted anyway, i would like to know a way to properly test it as i said the model is the stk-k880

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Static like a weak radio signal when using the built-in tuner? Or static with any input selected? Going into protect is no longer happening? Can you get some speaker wire/zip cord ?
okay i've looked a bit more in to it, and i just got more confused, now i need help to make sure i plugin the speakers in on the right spot, that might even be causing the short

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The speaker wires should be attached to the appropriate speaker terminals on the back of the receiver, the Left and Right terminals since you only seem to have two speakers. The speakers should be connected in polarity, i.e. the +/- connections should be match (and the speaker wires should be coded by color or a texture on the insulation to tell them apart)....looking back at your first pic you've got things hooked up to the "B" speaker terminals instead of the main (or "A") terminals.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i'm getting static noise through the speakers while trying to connect to a radio station, i didn't manage to get the frequency exactely right, but close enough so i was expecting some kind of understandble noise coming through the speakers, i've gotta point it our that static noise wasn't always present, sometimes i would turn it on and it would play the static noise, sometimes it would just stay completely muted, maybe the built in tuner is busted anyway, i would like to know a way to properly test it as i said the model is the stk-k880
Are you within reasonable range of the radio stations? Did you hook up an antenna?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
He can't or won't RTFM, so I doubt he is using an antenna.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Are you within reasonable range of the radio stations? Did you hook up an antenna?
no i'm not lol using an antenna, it would really help if you could point it out on the photo of the back of the unit, as well as a photo or name of the proper cables i need, if those that's i'm using are fine just point it out, but i didn't figure it out how to use them on those cone shaped thingys, if they are the right outputs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
no i'm not lol using an antenna, it would really help if you could point it out on the photo of the back of the unit, as well as a photo or name of the proper cables i need, if those that's i'm using are fine just point it out, but i didn't figure it out how to use them on those cone shaped thingys, if they are the right outputs
It's all in the manual, read it. By cone shaped thingies you mean the binding posts? Look up 5-way binding posts for how you can use them. Speaker wire is also known as zip cord and is easily obtained in most hardware stores (usually comes in 14g or 16g, which should be fine for your speakers to a reasonable length).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you trying to get sound by dialing into radio stations with a sketchy signal you're not even sure is working? Damn dood. Just... damn.
He can't or won't RTFM, so I doubt he is using an antenna.
I'm getting the vibe that he's really trying but he's having comprehension issues and getting overwhelmed.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
yeah, i've got no idea how audio devices are suposed to work, aside from the ones that use headphone jacks or hdmi's inputs, are this the correct cables https://p9.secure.hostingprod.com/@www.allaboutadapters.com/ssl/SP-2RCA-Product-LG.gif lots of things poped up when i searched for zip cords, and will this thing actuallt work https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1PsLXnsnI8KJjSspeq6AwIpXa1.jpg, i looking to make a stereo speaker setup on my main computer setup, or a mainly music setup for my living room depending on the possibilities that the receiver gives me, if you haven't noticed my english can be pretty bad at times ( that only happens when i'm not sure what i'm talking about) tthat's because i'm not american, i don't live in the US nor any other "developed" country so i'm pretty sure the only way to obtain one of those cables is by importing it through ebay, i'd like to know of a proper way to test the unit if i do eventually get thsoe cables, dunno if it's gonna be clear but, https://www.hifiengine.com/images/model/sony_str-k880.jpg you see that cilindrical thing on the oposite side to the volume and input nobs, behind that cover there's a AV input, is that adequate for tasting porpuses

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
yeah, i've got no idea how audio devices are suposed to work, aside from the ones that use headphone jacks or hdmi's inputs, are this the correct cables https://p9.secure.hostingprod.com/@www.allaboutadapters.com/ssl/SP-2RCA-Product-LG.gif lots of things poped up when i searched for zip cords, and will this thing actuallt work https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1PsLXnsnI8KJjSspeq6AwIpXa1.jpg, i looking to make a stereo speaker setup on my main computer setup, or a mainly music setup for my living room depending on the possibilities that the receiver gives me, if you haven't noticed my english can be pretty bad at times ( that only happens when i'm not sure what i'm talking about) tthat's because i'm not american, i don't live in the US nor any other "developed" country so i'm pretty sure the only way to obtain one of those cables is by importing it through ebay, i'd like to know of a proper way to test the unit if i do eventually get thsoe cables, dunno if it's gonna be clear but, https://www.hifiengine.com/images/model/sony_str-k880.jpg you see that cilindrical thing on the oposite side to the volume and input nobs, behind that cover there's a AV input, is that adequate for tasting porpuses
Don't worry. We are regressing currently. W have a bunch of looters, arsonists and gun nuts running rampant round here now, with an idiot in chief by the name of Dumf adding incendiary liquid to the bonfires..

This is actually taking a lot of our attention right now to look out for the scum.

I will try and help you tomorrow and lead you though it. It would be helpful if we knew what your TV was, and what you intend to connect to it. Bear in mind you only have two HDMI inputs and one output. The other input connection are TOSLINK optical digital and RCA analog. So it is crucial to know what you want to connect to it.

It would also be helpful to know where you do actually reside. We do get foreigners here quite often and your English is actually better than quite a few we have had here. So don't worry about that.

I have limited foreign language skills, as I was told from infancy that all foreigners should speak English. So my ability to converse in any other language is strictly limited. They did try and teach me Latin and ancient Greek for some odd reason. French was compulsory. But after the Napoleonic wars and their double cross from Admiral Dalan in WW II they were not anyone's favorite. I did a year of Spanish, but I learned most of that treating migrant workers from Mexico coming up to hoe the sugar beat fields of the Red River Valley of the North. I was told to remember "muy peligrosso" which was how you told a Mexican what he had was damn serious. So that is about the limit of my foreign language experience, so don't be embarrassed. You are doing just fine.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those cables are very odd for speaker cables. Maybe you should take pics of the backs of your speakers. Zip cord is the same as lamp cord, it is widely used and easily obtained. Speakers are just one use. Where are you and what does your hardware store stock in terms of such, they probably have several choices.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Don't worry. We are regressing currently. W have a bunch of looters, arsonists and gun nuts running rampant round here now, with an idiot in chief by the name of Dumf adding incendiary liquid to the bonfires..

This is actually taking a lot of our attention right now to look out for the scum.

I will try and help you tomorrow and lead you though it. It would be helpful if we knew what your TV was, and what you intend to connect to it. Bear in mind you only have two HDMI inputs and one output. The other input connection are TOSLINK optical digital and RCA analog. So it is crucial to know what you want to connect to it.

It would also be helpful to know where you do actually reside. We do get foreigners here quite often and your English is actually better than quite a few we have had here. So don't worry about that.

I have limited foreign language skills, as I was told from infancy that all foreigners should speak English. So my ability to converse in any other language is strictly limited. They did try and teach me Latin and ancient Greek for some odd reason. French was compulsory. But after the Napoleonic wars and their double cross from Admiral Dalan in WW II they were not anyone's favorite. I did a year of Spanish, but I learned most of that treating migrant workers from Mexico coming up to hoe the sugar beat fields of the Red River Valley of the North. I was told to remember "muy peligrosso" which was how you told a Mexican what he had was damn serious. So that is about the limit of my foreign language experience, so don't be embarrassed. You are doing just fine.
my receiver is not the stk-k900, mine does not have a hdmi in or out, it's the stk-k880, the manual is shared among those two, and sure i can take a better photo of the back of the speaker and receiver.
Cable wise,i will send a photo of how i was trying to connect the speakers and i'd like to know if those cables are actually proper, or if i will really need those zipcords
i've got this photo rn, https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/589454320005808133/716446623248547850/image0.jpg
and i'll take one of the back of the receiver ASAP, when i'm free
And i've following the updates on those protests and the blacklivesmatter thing, i know it's a mess over there right now, i've been getting a bit of pressure to do a final veridict on that receiver, that being if it's gonna be scrapped or re-used, but i can probably keep it for a while till my mom snaps lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If that pair of wires you're using is intact, that looks to be fine for the one speaker's worth I see in that photo.....and I'd connect that one to one of the front L/R binding posts (not the clips for "B" speakers). Do you have another set of those wires for another speaker?

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
If that pair of wires you're using is intact, that looks to be fine for the one speaker's worth I see in that photo.....and I'd connect that one to one of the front L/R binding posts (not the clips for "B" speakers). Do you have another set of those wires for another speaker?
i do have, but how what are the binding posts, and if they are those cone shapped thingys, how 'm supposed to conect a bare cable to them?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The speaker terminal look as if you unscrew the ends, you can insert the bare wire and then screw the terminal down on the wire. I think they look as if they will also take banana plugs. Make sure the +ve and -ve wires do not touch.

You connect your external units with RCA plugs.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
The speaker terminal look as if you unscrew the ends, you can insert the bare wire and then screw the terminal down on the wire. I think they look as if they will also take banana plugs. Make sure the +ve and -ve wires do not touch.

You connect your external units with RCA plugs.
+ve and -ve?, also them don't unscrew completely out, i still don't get how i'm supposed to connect them

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
i tried putting inside the hole, but it doesn't stay there(lol), i tried unscrewing a bit and smashing the cables by screwing back, but it didn't seem right

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis