i need help with some oldish speakers and amp

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I'm confused. What is it you need help with?
i need help setting it up, like a setup guide if possible
probably would be better to have a setup guide of that amp than the speaker lol

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
i need help setting it up, like a setup guide if possible
So, you have 3.1 speakers? Left, center, right and a bass unit? You need a way to power them, like a receiver and some speaker wire. Is that bass unit powered? Those look kind of like they're part of a HTIB set to me. If they are they won't play very well with anything but what they were bundled with.

Honestly, I'm having a little trouble understanding exactly what it is you have or don't have.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
So, you have 3.1 speakers? Left, center, right and a bass unit? You need a way to power them, like a receiver and some speaker wire. Is that bass unit powered? Those look kind of like they're part of a HTIB set to me. If they are they won't play very well with anything but what they were bundled with.

Honestly, I'm having a little trouble understanding exactly what it is you have or don't have.
here you go the whole package as far as i'm concerned, i want a guide to make sure that i'm doing things correctely so that i don't mess something up, and i have no ideia how that amp\interface\receiver idk, works
the back of that thing surely scares me off, i was also wondering if there's someway to connect it to a computer or tv with a modernish conector or p2 conector, only thing that still supports av out here in my house is my Wii, and that back is full of av ins and outs, as long as i'm able to make any bearable sound come out of that thing i'm happy enough to put more work into it. As i've said on the reddit post i've been able to play static noise once, but them it showed a "protect" message on the lcd screen and i was back to stage 1
forgot to mension it but i do have a woofer somewhere around the house i just gotta find it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Image 2 is almost helpful, but what is the model number of that Sony unit? Image 1 doesn't explain anything nor does image 3.

ps What do you mean by P2 connector?

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Image 2 is almost helpful, but what is the model number of that Sony unit? Image 1 doesn't explain anything nor does image 3.

the model was written on that reddit thread, it's the multi channel av receiver stk-k880, at least that's what's written on the unit, if you need better photos just specify what you need exactely, i'm completely into it, the more help i can give you the better
by P2 connector i mean a stereo headphone jack since it has two channel, a stereo headphone jack plus mic would be P3 i thought that was pretty standard way of calling them, but i guess not

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
the model was written on that reddit thread, it's the multi channel av receiver stk-k880, at least that's what's written on the unit, if you need better photos just specify what you need exactely, i'm completely into it, the more help i can give you the better
by P2 connector i mean a stereo headphone jack since it has two channel, a stereo headphone jack plus mic would be P3 i thought that was pretty standard way of calling them, but i guess not
I don't have a reddit account or the reddit app. It's all goofy when I try to look at it with my tablet, your images are pretty useless and it's like you're intentionally withholding all but the barest of information for us to go on.

If you want help you gotta be a little bit more cooperative. I asked for more info and you come back with 3 crappy images that tell us nothing. We need links, model numbers, descriptions... c'mon man. Help us help you.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic

kay an update, that manual is way to much for me, i really miss one of those setup guides made fur dumb people which no one ever uses, i'm one of those dumb people rn, i took a better photo of the back of the unit https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/589454320005808133/716788526468956280/image1.jpg i hope it helps a bit. I was abble to get static noise out of it once agn https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/589454320005808133/716788526020034590/video0.mp4 (sry for the "cloud service" requireing dowload of the video), there're two radio stations close to that frequency so i was looking for at least some kind of understandble audio coming from those speakers. One last thing ocasonaly this will happen https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/589454320005808133/716788526813020170/image2.jpg, when this happens it turns it self off after a while. i really want help to set up, no major messing around with the unit, i just want to be able to play stuff through it
model: multi channel av receiver stk-k880

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If it keeps going into protect, it sounds like something is fried inside. There is also no way for you to connect anything other than stuff using an AV cable, which as you've already noticed is not a lot. If you want to connect anything modern to it (TV< cable box, blu-ray player, newer game consoles, etc) you're flat out of luck.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with it if I were you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have no interest in your reddit thread. Your photos for the most part are just not helpful. May not matter a lot, but what are the make/model of the speakers?

P1 P2 may be a computer thing, don't know, never saw that designation before, seems a P1 is a TRS type, P2 a TRRS. Don't use the analog outs of a pc myself in any case, altho with a correct cable you could use the analog headphone outs from a computer. I assume you're connecting a computer or maybe a phone/tablet to the receiver? Or some other type of audio source? Some clarity with the device you're connecting, with what type of cable, to which inputs on the receiver would be helpful.

FWIW if the receiver is repeatedly shutting down in protect mode, with nothing attached, it may simply be defective....if doing it with speakers attached it may indicate a short.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
If it keeps going into protect, it sounds like something is fried inside. There is also no way for you to connect anything other than stuff using an AV cable, which as you've already noticed is not a lot. If you want to connect anything modern to it (TV< cable box, blu-ray player, newer game consoles, etc) you're flat out of luck.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with it if I were you.
i see it was a useless and short saga then i guess, just one last thing, is there anyway for me to at least use the speakers with other unit or future projects? I did open one up and inside of those speakers there's basically nothing but air as expected, so i guess they are plain old regular speakers inside

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Y
Have no interest in your reddit thread. Your photos for the most part are just not helpful. May not matter a lot, but what are the make/model of the speakers?

P1 P2 may be a computer thing, don't know, never saw that designation before, seems a P1 is a TRS type, P2 a TRRS. Don't use the analog outs of a pc myself in any case, altho with a correct cable you could use the analog headphone outs from a computer. I assume you're connecting a computer or maybe a phone/tablet to the receiver? Or some other type of audio source? Some clarity with the device you're connecting, with what type of cable, to which inputs on the receiver would be helpful.

FWIW if the receiver is repeatedly shutting down in protect mode, with nothing attached, it may simply be defective....if doing it with speakers attached it may indicate a short.
Yes it's only going into protect mode with speakers on, and honestly it might be a short really since the cables i used have some bare metal exposed even though none of the times the cables were touching each other at first glance , the model is the stk-k880 there's not much more i know about it and i did found this about the speakers https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WLLv6cF9WZDXnEV0XQ93ZJYXzEy7iHsy/view,
btw just for testing purposes i was trying to get something understandble out of a radio broadcast for testing purposes, because i haven't got many av out devices here rn,

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
i really need a guide to how to test it and set it up, what can i do to make sure it's working

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
sry for my dumbness, i can work my way around a modern pc, but i'm completely lost on this, all those av outs and ins and not even knowing if it's working is making me go crazy

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Y

Yes it's only going into protect mode with speakers on, and honestly it might be a short really since the cables i used have some bare metal exposed even though none of the times the cables were touching each other at first glance , the model is the stk-k880 there's not much more i know about it and i did found this about the speakers https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WLLv6cF9WZDXnEV0XQ93ZJYXzEy7iHsy/view,
btw just for testing purposes i was trying to get something understandble out of a radio broadcast for testing purposes, because i haven't got many av out devices here rn,

Then it seems your speakers/cables may be shorting the unit, but the speakers should work fine with the receiver if everything is in good order since they're part of a set. Sounds like using different but intact speaker cables might be one thing to test. Do these speakers have permanently attached speaker cables or do the backs of the speakers have terminals for connection?

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Then it seems your speakers/cables may be shorting the unit, but the speakers should work fine with the receiver if everything is in good order since they're part of a set. Sounds like using different but intact speaker cables might be one thing to test. Do these speakers have permanently attached speaker cables or do the backs of the speakers have terminals for connection?
they have terminals, the cables i'm using are some spare ones i'd lieing around, they are pretty thick and robust, so i thought that wouldn't be a problem, and the fact that i got to hear static noise just goes to shows it's working indeed

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Static like a weak radio signal when using the built-in tuner? Or static with any input selected? Going into protect is no longer happening? Can you get some speaker wire/zip cord ?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis