I need an improved plan for furbishing my HT/Audio room

S

ssfbc2000

Audiophyte
Hey folks, first I want to say hello as I just joined so I could start asking questions, then I want to thank everyone in advance for any and all advice/assistance.

I have a HT setup right now, but I think I need a bump in the quality. I've got a Marantz receiver (I think it is the 5006), Polk Tsi400 fronts, Tsi100 and the similar size Polk Monitor series for surround and surround backs. I have a DefTech center and a polk PSW 505 Sub. I'm hooked into HiDef cable, I stream from my computer, and I have an entry level Samsung BluRay.

The receiver doesn't really drive the mains all that well, especially in surround mode with all channels driven. The Marantz does have one set of pre-outs for the L & R speakers, and I just got an Emotiva 2 channel 300watt amp, so I'm going to throw that in and see what happens.

The next things on my list are a sub, and probably an OPPO. The Polk sub is what it is, but at the time I only had the $125 to spend. I've been lurking and looking; the subs that have drawn my attention are the SVS PC12-Plus, and the Rythmic F-15. Do you good people have any other/better suggestions? Can I get better bang for fewer bucks?

My plan to this point has included eventually getting a Marantz 7701 pre amp (or an 8801 if I can break loose that kind of $$$) and of course another amp to run the rest of the channels.

Am I on the right track? Is it a better choice to replace the speakers than the receiver? If I did what speakers are a good choice? I've really just been looking at Subs, but I've seen a raft of speakers too.

I also have available an older Yamaha HTR 5790. That Yamaha has a full set of pre-outs, but it doesn't have the newest connections or decoding capability. Is there a "best course of action" form this point :confused:?

Thanks Again,

Bob

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
When you say they don't drive them well, in reference to your front speakers what do you mean? Volume, quality? Those speakers are pretty efficient, 91db I believe so that should be plenty of power for most. The non matching center may be an issue, do you hear a different sound quality from L&R to center?

AC

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
What you should do depends on what you want to accomplish, and what your budget is. If you are wanting an improvement in sound quality, look at speakers. Go to all of the local audio stores and listen to as many speakers as you can stand to listen to, of as many different types (e.g., ribbon, horn, dome, whatever) as you can, and of as many different brands as you can find. Then pick the ones you like. After that is done, then you will need to consider the amplification needed to drive the particular speakers you have selected. You may not need any additional power at all, depending on what you choose.

Nothing else matters nearly as much as speakers for sound quality.

I personally would not bother with the Oppo, until your current BD player dies, or you find that you need something that the Oppo does that you otherwise cannot do. And I do like Oppo, so it would be a fine choice when you need it. (In my case, I have a Panasonic BD player, but plan on buying an Oppo when the Panasonic dies, or if I really need something that the Oppo does. But it is not a top priority at all, and I already have speakers that I never plan on upgrading.)

As for the subwoofer, SVS is a good value. If you spend much less, you will get less.

At this point, I personally would not buy a receiver for use in my main home theater that lacks HDMI and decoding of all of the current audio formats. It is a lot easier to set up if you have such a receiver.

As it happens, I coincidentally own a Yamaha HTR-5790 which I use as a secondary "home theater," and it is a nice unit. But I would not want to be stuck with it for my main home theater (though I could make do if I were poor and desperate). To me, HDMI is essential at this point.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis