I need a router ...

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
And here I was thinking Alex was going to bring up a manly subject like "power tools". :(
It took me a while but I just figured out that this post is in response to the thread title. The reason it took so long is that I come to this good place for almost anything and everything except ... power tool advice. ;)

Just to clarify: there's nothing really manly about mortising out a fire rated door for a mortise lockset. It's just really dusty and probably unhealthy. On a comical note I will say that I effed up every bathroom door on an entire wing of a small hospital in Didsbury, Alta some 25 years ago using manly power tools. I had a 'jig'. :D

Strube,

Thanks for the help. I should be good to go.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hmmm ... so is this the router of the year ???? :)
I just noticed this little goody. Confusion sets in ...
Nah, I just haven't upgraded to the one I recommended you because I don't use wireless that much, and mine has gigabit ports too, which is all I need ATM. Sorry to add to the confusion.

I still stick by my recommendation of the other one for you because it is cutting-edge, and I do have good experience with it, just not in my own networking cabinet. :D

Enjoy the movie. I hope she picked a good one. :)

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have been using the NetGear WG614 series for years now. It's an inexpensive G router that does the trick.

Hit dealnews.com for router deals. I wouldn't have a problem with any Belkin/D-Link/Linksys/SMC. I have used them all.

I just recently put in two of the D-link N routers at a job site and was impressed with the feature set. But that could be a negative for the non computer types.

Post back when you get your router for some good tips on how to secure it properly.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Enjoy the movie. I hope she picked a good one. :)
I picked it up at Redbox after dinner and it was unbelievably bad. Something about Recognizing Your Saints. There's 1.5 hours of my life right down the toilet. :(

Post back when you get your router for some good tips on how to secure it properly.
Will do. Thanks all. :)

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I've used Linksys and D-link, and have been very happy with both. Not a fan of the netgear stuff though, it's not that good, and tends to get very hot.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
And here I was thinking Alex was going to bring up a manly subject like "power tools". :(

It's funny you've mentioned that.
That's exactly what I thought at first, and that's the router I was going to suggest.:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I recommend the Bosch 1617 :D I like it more than any other router I've owned.

As far as PC routers get Linksys they are owned by Cisco who basically are the networking company.

I've had D-Link's go out on me, but never a Linksys.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I've used Linksys and D-link, and have been very happy with both. Not a fan of the netgear stuff though, it's not that good, and tends to get very hot.
Huh... I have used the crap out of netgear stuff and have it installed at both friends and customers for going on 8 years now... Been happy with their various products. Not saying I have used everything they ever produced.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Maybe their older stuff was good, but I've not been too impressed with the stuff that I have used. I guess it's a crap shoot... I'm sure all brands have their issues.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've used Linksys & Netgear as well.

The Linksys is still working fine.

I've probably screwed something up with the Netgear router. It didn't work that well for me.:D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've used Linksys & Netgear as well.

The Linksys is still working fine.

I've probably screwed something up with the Netgear router. It didn't work that well for me.:D
For H'ers you want to know how to reset your router and sometimes flash it.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Linksys WRT-350N + DD-WRT firmware is solid and secure. I use three, one as the DHCP server, two as repeater bridges over 3 stories.

The DLink 655 is another great one.

If you don't care about these so-called N speeds, pick up a Linky WRT54GL or 54G V1-V3, throw Tomato on it, get some 7-12dB antennas, and you're gold.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Linksys WRT-350N + DD-WRT firmware is solid and secure. I use three, one as the DHCP server, two as repeater bridges over 3 stories.

The DLink 655 is another great one.

If you don't care about these so-called N speeds, pick up a Linky WRT54GL or 54G V1-V3, throw Tomato on it, get some 7-12dB antennas, and you're gold.

For sight to sight bridges you can go cantenna... Where you getting your hi-gain omni's from?

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I second getting a router that is supported by DD-WRT or another open source firmware (like Sveasoft, though it's a bit sketchy).

Linksys's out of the box firmware stinks on just about all their routers.

I still have a V2 WRT54G flashed with DD-WRT acting as a bridge for my 360. With the linksys firmware i had to reset it about once a week. With DD-WRT I think i've reset it once.

You don't need an N to stream, a G will work fine if you can find one cheap.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I second getting a router that is supported by DD-WRT or another open source firmware (like Sveasoft, though it's a bit sketchy).

Linksys's out of the box firmware stinks on just about all their routers.

I still have a V2 WRT54G flashed with DD-WRT acting as a bridge for my 360. With the linksys firmware i had to reset it about once a week. With DD-WRT I think i've reset it once.

You don't need an N to stream, a G will work fine if you can find one cheap.
Yeah the software sucked *** on my Linksys routers. I use to run the japanese version of their firmware. No I don't speak japanese either, but I knew where my settings textboxes were and the stuff worked correctly with PPPOE.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis