I need a cd player. Which one?

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
HI,
i am currently in a market for a cd player, top of mid range would do it fo me probably. Is there a lot of difference in the sound quality in this area trough digital output? i would also prefer something compact design like the Denon or Teac players out there but not essential. if i am looking at the 2nd hand market what brands/models i should look for? and what year? is it worth getting a model from early 2000 or lets say stay in the past 10 years timeline?
Or maybe a dvd player? as i won't listen to cd-s with the tv on, but rarely playing a dvd might be an extra feature (twice a year probably :))
Thanks
Here’s a thought I’ve had with CD players. I’m a network engineer by profession. Having this in mind, the coax/fiber out from the CD player is just digital data. No sound, just data into your preamp. So every cd/dvd player will be equal sound wise. Now for longevity, I’ve had a Denon DVD 900 for twenty years. It just won’t die.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
HI,
i am currently in a market for a cd player, top of mid range would do it fo me probably. Is there a lot of difference in the sound quality in this area trough digital output? i would also prefer something compact design like the Denon or Teac players out there but not essential. if i am looking at the 2nd hand market what brands/models i should look for? and what year? is it worth getting a model from early 2000 or lets say stay in the past 10 years timeline?
Or maybe a dvd player? as i won't listen to cd-s with the tv on, but rarely playing a dvd might be an extra feature (twice a year probably :))
Thanks
So, it's been 2 months, did you get your CD player ?

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
yes and no, but also yes :) i've got myself an x800 but i realized it is not the best as a cd player only. too circumstantial, no led screen showing which track played etc. It meant to be used with the tv what i don't want, and the streaming and other features also done by the tv and receiver, so i dont really need that kind of device. o i get rid of that and i pick up a sony cdp-xe510 in mint condition with remote and manual for a fraction of the price of the x800.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Bummer, should have got what I suggested (post #9)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis