I need a cd player. Which one?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a laptop not a mac. Should i play music in streaming directly to ampli wirelessly?
Thanks
P.
If your receiver features Airplay you can deliver songs in your iTunes Library wirelessly to the receiver. If the receiver does not feature Airplay., just buy a cheap used Airport Express and attach it to one of your optical S/PDIF inputs. That will receive songs wirelessly from iTunes Library.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If iTunes is in the laptop, Airplay from iTunes will work. If not, sharing laptop media using DLNA and using the MusicCast app will work as well.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have a laptop not a mac. Should i play music in streaming directly to ampli wirelessly?
Thanks
P.
Just get iTunes for windows.
The remote app is helpful too. Agree with the airport express too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was also thinking of buying a cd player, but actually the idea of ripping all CDs in flac I consider it valid. I had already done this for many CDs, but in mp3 format. flac is the best format? then I would have the problem of streaming, how do you recommend doing it without quality loss. consider that I am not planning of buying an audio streamer, since I am about to take the Yamaha R-N803 as a replacement for the Denon pma600ne, and i don't have the possibility of connecting the laptop to the amplifier due to space constraints. thanks for any suggestions.
FLAC would give you a lossless copy of the cd (on playback identical to the original file so no quality change), but if you don't need to save the space you could rip it as a .wav file, personally I still rip to flac to save some space even tho storage is fairly cheap....when I need mp3 I just convert the flac to mp3 (and doing it in large batches is not hard).....my truck can't handle flac in its usb drive so I still do make mp3s for playback there. Most other players and avrs etc handle flac easily enough, tho. It's fairly widespread. I'm not an applish person and had a horrible experience using iTunes so not something I'd do. ALAC is less supported outside the applish universe, too.

paspolc

paspolc

Audioholic Intern
FLAC would give you a lossless copy of the cd (on playback identical to the original file so no quality change), but if you don't need to save the space you could rip it as a .wav file, personally I still rip to flac to save some space even tho storage is fairly cheap....when I need mp3 I just convert the flac to mp3 (and doing it in large batches is not hard).....my truck can't handle flac in its usb drive so I still do make mp3s for playback there. Most other players and avrs etc handle flac easily enough, tho. It's fairly widespread. I'm not an applish person and had a horrible experience using iTunes so not something I'd do. ALAC is less supported outside the applish universe, too.
what program do you use to rip he cds? I don't want to use itunes either.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
what program do you use to rip he cds? I don't want to use itunes either.
Just use Windows 10, it's free, easy and quick. And you have the ability to rip to .mp3 at 320kbps.

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
Would you buy an older sony cd player from the cdp-xe series (or anything after that) or would you buy an ubp-x800? i dont really need the streaming services etc of the x800 as my tv does them and i dont think i will watch movies on blue ray either, i just want something my sony amp can handle with the remote (slink for a cd player or not even sure if hdmi will do it on non arc input.)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Would you buy an older sony cd player from the cdp-xe series (or anything after that) or would you buy an ubp-x800? i dont really need the streaming services etc of the x800 as my tv does them and i dont think i will watch movies on blue ray either, i just want something my sony amp can handle with the remote (slink for a cd player or not even sure if hdmi will do it on non arc input.)
Well I can't imagine just buying an old cd player, but I do like to play a variety of optical discs other than cd. Streaming services in both tvs and disc players are limited, a dedicated streamer plugged into your avr will generally have better capabilities in a few ways. Not sure what you mean by the Sony avr and its remote.....it may or may not be able to control a player or tv. HDMI ARC is only relevant to pulling audio from your tv back to your avr over the hdmi connection (from avr to tv), and a cd-only player won't have any use for hdmi.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What is the model of your Sony?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nice. It's time to enjoy all that it and a Sony UBP-X800 can do. Get one.;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty much any competent optical disc player with an onboard dac and analog output should work just fine. Wide wide variety of gear fits such a description, so you'll need to do some narrowing down. Any reason to restrict it to just redbook cd playback or ?

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
HI,
i am currently in a market for a cd player, top of mid range would do it fo me probably. Is there a lot of difference in the sound quality in this area trough digital output? i would also prefer something compact design like the Denon or Teac players out there but not essential. if i am looking at the 2nd hand market what brands/models i should look for? and what year? is it worth getting a model from early 2000 or lets say stay in the past 10 years timeline?
Or maybe a dvd player? as i won't listen to cd-s with the tv on, but rarely playing a dvd might be an extra feature (twice a year probably :))
Thanks
You know that’s a really great question. Here’s the rub for me. If your running digital from the cd into your receiver/preamp, then your just moving binary data. Every CD player should be as good as any. Either the data is there or it’s not. Now if you need a good analog output from the CD player that’s a different issue. I use my Preamplifier’s converters. Every CD player should produce the exact same sound.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There are a lot for sale on eBay. This one would be fine for you as long as yo have an optical digital input.

I can understand why you would want a CD player. I like to keep physical media, with the case and especially the booklet, or LP jacket.

Using a universal player for CDs is a PITA, as when you turn it on the TV comes on and if you turn off the TV the player turns off. The only way round it is to keep turning on and off CEC, otherwise you loose other functions. It is a real pain, so a CD only player with digital out still has a place, at least in my rig.

So I use my pro rack mounted Marantz CDR631 CD player all the time. It is 21 years old.

There is one for sale on eBay, but they want $400.00 for it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There are a lot for sale on eBay. This one would be fine for you as long as yo have an optical digital input.

I can understand why you would want a CD player. I like to keep physical media, with the case and especially the booklet, or LP jacket.

Using a universal player for CDs is a PITA, as when you turn it on the TV comes on and if you turn off the TV the player turns off. The only way round it is to keep turning on and off CEC, otherwise you loose other functions. It is a real pain, so a CD only player with digital out still has a place, at least in my rig.

So I use my pro rack mounted Marantz CDR631 CD player all the time. It is 21 years old.

There is one for sale on eBay, but they want $400.00 for it.
My tv doesn't come on with my (Oppo) universal player, that sounds more like specific user setup with hdmi-cec or similar. I can also play music (on a cd or otherwise) without the tv being on. I can't imagine a cd-only player being of use for myself, as cds are very easy to rip and use other means for playback altho I always play a new cd before ripping it....its the harder to rip discs I find more useful for an actual optical disc player overall.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My tv doesn't come on with my (Oppo) universal player, that sounds more like specific user setup with hdmi-cec or similar. I can also play music (on a cd or otherwise) without the tv being on. I can't imagine a cd-only player being of use for myself, as cds are very easy to rip and use other means for playback altho I always play a new cd before ripping it....its the harder to rip discs I find more useful for an actual optical disc player overall.
Yes, it is a CEC issue. Both my Panasonic and Sony players do this. If you disable CEC in either the TV or Marantz AVP then it solves the problem. However then you have to set it up again for proper eARC functionality. I use eARC for Netflix and Amazon. So the easiest solution is to use the Marantz CD player. That just requires changing inputs. I could also play discs on the DAW, but that is more work. So the CDR631 is the most convenient and quickest way to play a CD. I play CDs often.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Get a SHARC and lose HDMI-CEC/ARC issues for good if the switching on and off gets tiresome because the Marantz lacks eARC.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis