I need a cd player. Which one?

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
HI,
i am currently in a market for a cd player, top of mid range would do it fo me probably. Is there a lot of difference in the sound quality in this area trough digital output? i would also prefer something compact design like the Denon or Teac players out there but not essential. if i am looking at the 2nd hand market what brands/models i should look for? and what year? is it worth getting a model from early 2000 or lets say stay in the past 10 years timeline?
Or maybe a dvd player? as i won't listen to cd-s with the tv on, but rarely playing a dvd might be an extra feature (twice a year probably :))
Thanks

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
oh yes i need digital output so probably i can't go too vintage here.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Denon, Yamaha, Marantz just to name a few will do nicely or Sonys's 4K players, LG players and so on will do nicely also.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd just get a reasonable bluray player...it can play all the optical discs and newer mechanisms are probably more reliable than from old used gear without a little luck. As a transport as long as the digits are exported you're good. That's pretty easily done.

ps If you need SACD playback be careful with which bluray player, they don't all handle that (or DVD-A).

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I would suggest any Sony 4K player which sells at an affordable price. Any of them requires connection to a screen for operation. I have the UBP-X800 and it performs just as well as an Oppo, and possibly better for ADD CD discs playback.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
If I were looking for a CD player today, I would likely go with a Tascam model, a pro-level CD player. These don't get much hype online, and I have not personally used one yet. But, they are well built and user feedback is no mechanical noise. One of our members has one, I think it may be @Swerd

I would be looking at a Tascam in the 200 series, they have a few different models in that series

The other CD player that I do have and do like a whole lot is the Parasound zCD! But, this model has been discontinued so you would have to look on the used market.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Get a new Sony 4K player and use that as your CD player. Bluray and 4K players are built using much higher clock rates and stricter timing tolerances (nature of video and high rez audio material) than a CD player providing better performance than what most CD players can offer.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Get a new Sony 4K player and use that as your CD player. Bluray and 4K players are built using much higher clock rates and stricter timing tolerances (nature of video and high rez audio material) than a CD player providing better performance than what most CD players can offer.
I doubt the clock rate really enhances audible performance.

The drawback on using video disc players is that the ergonomics can be awkward, and tedious is you don't have a display or want to listen to a CD without the display on. But, if you have a display, then this works fine.

Since I have an XBone in my system, that tends to be used as my default disc player and it works fine.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
HI,
i am currently in a market for a cd player, top of mid range would do it fo me probably.
a rather broad/vague term, regardless if CD playback is the only concern and keeping it 'mid-range' here's what I'd pick up ............

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I doubt the clock rate really enhances audible performance.

The drawback on using video disc players is that the ergonomics can be awkward, and tedious is you don't have a display or want to listen to a CD without the display on. But, if you have a display, then this works fine.

Since I have an XBone in my system, that tends to be used as my default disc player and it works fine.
I dont think higher clock rates enhances audibility either but the timing is much more precise. I dont need the display on either on any of my Bluray player. I insert the disc, it loads and I hit play on the remote and "bob's your uncle"

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Your local goodwill thrift might have a sony bluray player or 5 disc players for less than $15. I always see them at every thrift store.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another consideration is to not play cd's at all, rip them to wav/flac files with Exact Audio Copy and play those from a variety of drives....what I do with my cd's upon receipt, the cd just becomes a backup (but I'd also recommend protecting your investment of time in ripping the cds by backing up your files, too).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If I were looking for a CD player today, I would likely go with a Tascam model, a pro-level CD player. These don't get much hype online, and I have not personally used one yet. But, they are well built and user feedback is no mechanical noise. One of our members has one, I think it may be @Swerd
It wasn't me. I know nothing about Tascam CD players.

I play CDs on a 6- or 7-year-old Panasonic DMP-BDT500 Blu Ray player. I do have a much older CD player, a Sony CDP-591 that dates back to 1991 or 92. I use it upstairs in the bedroom. It's so old it lacks a digital connection. So I can't offer any advice about looking for a CD player today.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Just wait for Craigslist to have a good option come available. I picked up a 6 disc Onkyo about 2 months ago. I think I got it for like $40-50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

miklek65

Audioholic Intern
i probably go with a sony blue ray player. the x800 is about 2-3 times more then i would wanna spend, and most functions done by my sony android tv anyway. any other models recommendations a bit lower than x800?

Panasonic DMP-BD84EB-K?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
X700 is almost the same as X800m2. The main difference is the X700 can’t do DVD Audio. Not sure that matters to you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Watch not just features, but connectivity as you look at each model.

paspolc

paspolc

Audioholic Intern
Another consideration is to not play cd's at all, rip them to wav/flac files with Exact Audio Copy and play those from a variety of drives....what I do with my cd's upon receipt, the cd just becomes a backup (but I'd also recommend protecting your investment of time in ripping the cds by backing up your files, too).
I was also thinking of buying a cd player, but actually the idea of ripping all CDs in flac I consider it valid. I had already done this for many CDs, but in mp3 format. flac is the best format? then I would have the problem of streaming, how do you recommend doing it without quality loss. consider that I am not planning of buying an audio streamer, since I am about to take the Yamaha R-N803 as a replacement for the Denon pma600ne, and i don't have the possibility of connecting the laptop to the amplifier due to space constraints. thanks for any suggestions.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was also thinking of buying a cd player, but actually the idea of ripping all CDs in flac I consider it valid. I had already done this for many CDs, but in mp3 format. flac is the best format? then I would have the problem of streaming, how do you recommend doing it without quality loss. consider that I am not planning of buying an audio streamer, since I am about to take the Yamaha R-N803 as a replacement for the Denon pma600ne, and i don't have the possibility of connecting the laptop to the amplifier due to space constraints. thanks for any suggestions.
Rip to iTunes in ALAC. Play wirelessly to receiver via Airplay. Done deal!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis