I love Dirac but...I have a question!

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Or just get amps with volume controls. I’ve seen volume controls in amps from Parasound, ATI, and pro amps like Yamaha, Crown.
Yeah, I realize this is a solution, and one I have, but I have to get up off my (old) ass to fix a problem by adjusting my NAD power amp! By the way, how do I list my components, for all to see?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, lovinthehd, when I go, on my Marantz AV 10, to "Speakers/Levels', I do NOT with Dirac get adjustable volume levels. I get what Dirac thinks is correct, and I agree with this, Dirac rules, but I wish, for my wife's sake, that I could adjust the center upwards.
Didn't know that, but haven't tried Dirac on an avr yet. Interesting the software overrides manual setup (assuming that's how you're approaching it rather than some sort of quick menu option?). Then again I use closed captions particularly to handle particular english dialects....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I realize this is a solution, and one I have, but I have to get up off my (old) ass to fix a problem by adjusting my NAD power amp! By the way, how do I list my components, for all to see?
You can use your signature in your profile to list your gear.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ouch. That sucks.
I can't check the manual on this, as it is not in the AV 10 manual. You can only download the Dirac AV 10 instructions via the Dirac Firmware update, and there also seem to be a couple of QR codes involved.

Boy am I glad yet again that I have absolutely no need whatsoever for these "room correction" programs. I would bet my chops on what I have here against any of those programs anyday.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Wow, I've got it! Push the 'Option' button on the REMOTE, and there is a 'Channel Level Adjust'. (New for me!). Now I can adjust the center (and others) channel up or down, and my wife will appreciate. Very different from Audyssey, though the 'Option' button would have got me a center channel (but not other channels) emphasis.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Boy am I glad yet again that I have absolutely no need whatsoever for these "room correction" programs. I would bet my chops on what I have here against any of those programs anyday.
Well, you have the perfect room, otherwise your sound would suck without digital room correction, it's simply physics!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, I've got it! Push the 'Option' button on the REMOTE, and there is a 'Channel Level Adjust'. (New for me!). Now I can adjust the center (and others) channel up or down, and my wife will appreciate. Very different from Audyssey, though the 'Option' button would have got me a center channel (but not other channels) emphasis.
Yes, sometimes there are different avenues to approach it thru. That I believe will be a temporary/session sort of setting with that access, but if it works....

ps or the Dirac software limits some?

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Yes, sometimes there are different avenues to approach it thru. That I believe will be a temporary/session sort of setting with that access, but if it works....

ps or the Dirac software limits some?
Yeah, it will be "a temporary/session sort of setting with that access, but if it works....", I hope, for my wife.

But Dirac rules, here's my latest REW measurement....
dirac correction.jpg

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Well, it is a REW measurement, in room response, stereo, from my Revel Performa F226Be left and right speakers, and five subwoofers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That makes more sense. Just can’t imagine not being able to manually adjust the trim levels.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, it will be "a temporary/session sort of setting with that access, but if it works....", I hope, for my wife.

But Dirac rules, here's my latest REW measurement....View attachment 67686
Looks good, but as mentioned before, for the deep bass range, it is better to use less smoothing, such as 1/24. I like to tweak for pretty graphs so I would use no smoothing, in order to identify the dips and bumps, though 1/12 should be good enough, but I wouldn't use 1/6, ymmv.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That makes more sense. Just can’t imagine not being able to manually adjust the trim levels.
I only use the PC standalone version. It can be adjusted per channel, so I am quite sure the AVR/AVP version can too. In fact, based on the Masimo video, it can be adjusted, but you probably have to open the calibration page, just open it to see the adjustments, without having to do a calibration.

1716656410425.png

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Looks good, but as mentioned before, for the deep bass range, it is better to use less smoothing, such as 1/24. I like to tweak for pretty graphs so I would use no smoothing, in order to identify the dips and bumps, though 1/12 should be good enough, but I wouldn't use 1/6, ymmv.
OK, got it...and here is the 'no smoothing' response...
dirac correction, no smoothing.jpg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That's excellent, the only tweak I would do to this would be in the approximately 60-280 Hz range, it might help result in a so called "warmer" sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis