I love Dirac but...I have a question!

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
My God, I am a dinosaur! The power of '@', I really didn't know...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've posted previously of my enthusiasm for Dirac (https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/dirac-is-my-choice-on-the-marantz-av10.128717/post-1639102), compared to Audyssey. But one thing I miss, not using my longtime friend, Audyssey, is the ability with Dirac to manually override settings such as channel volume. Is there a way to do this using Dirac? Or does one just have to accept the Dirac 'volume' settings?
I think you can.

To change the volume of a speaker in Dirac, you will need to open the plugin, and make the adjustment for the relevant output on the outputs tab.

The real issue though is why do you need to. My experience of Audyssey, is that these set up systems are very good at setting speaker volumes and distances. I would expect Dirac to be equally good. So may be your set up procedure was not correct.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
I think you can.

To change the volume of a speaker in Dirac, you will need to open the plugin, and make the adjustment for the relevant output on the outputs tab.

The real issue though is why do you need to. My experience of Audyssey, is that these set up systems are very good at setting speaker volumes and distances. I would expect Dirac to be equally good. So may be your set up procedure was not correct.
Thanks TLS guy, but I have no idea how to 'open the plugin, and make the adjustment for the relevant output on the outputs tab."

My issue, not yours, thanks, is 'why' I need to adjust volume. But I will tell, you. I would like to adjust the center channel volume for my wife, not a native English speaker, who otherwise demands that I turn on subtitles.

But I think I do agree with your point, e.g. that Dirac does a damn good job of adjusting the sound, for native English speakers, and my system does it justice believe me.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks TLS guy, but I have no idea how to 'open the plugin, and make the adjustment for the relevant output on the outputs tab."

My issue, not yours, thanks, is 'why' I need to adjust volume. But I will tell, you. I would like to adjust the center channel volume for my wife, not a native English speaker, who otherwise demands that I turn on subtitles.

But I think I do agree with your point, e.g. that Dirac does a damn good job of adjusting the sound, for native English speakers, and my system does it justice believe me.
I thought it was going to be a center speaker volume issue.

From what you say, I assume then, that your AVP or AVR came with Dirac installed and you did not load it.

If that is the case, then Dirac should not interfere with the speaker level controls on your device. So you should be able to open up speaker settings and increase the center channel volume. That would be the same as other auto set up systems, and from what I can tell, Dirac is no different in this regard.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Thanks TLS guy, I probably asked a stupid question....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm also curious how Dirac would prevent you from changing channel levels....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks TLS guy, I probably asked a stupid question....
I don't think you asked a stupid question, just gave incomplete information. Since you had to ask the question I assumed you were using Dirac from a computer.

I don't think any AVR or AVP program would be able to override the devices speaker setting form the units OSD.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Well, lovinthehd, when I go, on my Marantz AV 10, to "Speakers/Levels', I do NOT with Dirac get adjustable volume levels. I get what Dirac thinks is correct, and I agree with this, Dirac rules, but I wish, for my wife's sake, that I could adjust the center upwards.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
Haha, I thought I had asked a simple question, that would elicit a simple answer. Audiophile life is so difficult!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Haha, I thought I had asked a simple question, that would elicit a simple answer. Audiophile life is so difficult!
That must be a Marantz issue, as the information I found from DIRAC stated that you should be able to adjust volume levels as normal.

As a matter of interest what is your center speaker? This issue is very much a center speaker problem rather than a problem with auto levelling.

Having to increase speaker level to easily hear dialog should not be required, but it seems it often is. However, I do believe this is a speaker issue and not a volume levelling issue per se.

I am lucky as I don't have this issue. I have two systems with center channel and I have not had to increase the levels on either, and I have never had to increase the center volume. We have a couple who we are close friends with and the wife of the couple has a significant hearing deficit, and yet she claims to hear this AV room system fine for movies and other program.

The only way that I can see how you can solve this question, is to get a power amp for the center channel and put a passive volume control between the pre-out and the amp.

Then you would run Dirac with the passive volume control turned down a bit and then turn that volume up, when you need to for issues of dialog.

I just realized that the AV 10 is an AVP, so you have to have external amps. So, you solution is easy, a volume control between the center pre-out and the center channel amp. That will solve you problem for certain.

This is just what you need.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, lovinthehd, when I go, on my Marantz AV 10, to "Speakers/Levels', I do NOT (with Dirac) get adjustable volume levels. I get what Dirac thinks is correct, and I agree with this, Dirac rules, but I wish, for my wife's sake, that I could adjust the center upwards.
Hmm, so when you turn on Dirac, you can’t even go back to change the Speaker Channel Levels (Trim levels) in the settings?

You can’t change the Sub/Bass channel levels either?

That would suck for me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That must be a Marantz issue, as the information I found from DIRAC stated that you should be able to adjust volume levels as normal.

As a matter of interest what is your center speaker? This issue is very much a center speaker problem rather than a problem with auto levelling.

Having to increase speaker level to easily hear dialog should not be required, but it seems it often is. However, I do believe this is a speaker issue and not a volume levelling issue per se.

I am lucky as I don't have this issue. I have two systems with center channel and I have not had to increase the levels on either, and I have never had to increase the center volume. We have a couple who we are close friends with and the wife of the couple has a significant hearing deficit, and yet she claims to hear this AV room system fine for movies and other program.

The only way that I can see how you can solve this question, is to get a power amp for the center channel and put a passive volume control between the pre-out and the amp.

Then you would run Dirac with the passive volume control turned down a bit and then turn that volume up, when you need to for issues of dialog.

I just realized that the AV 10 is an AVP, so you have to have external amps. So, you solution is easy, a volume control between the center pre-out and the center channel amp. That will solve you problem for certain.

This is just what you need.
Or just get amps with volume controls. I’ve seen volume controls in amps from Parasound, ATI, and pro amps like Yamaha, Crown.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis