I know this might sound strange rx-a4a vs x4700h

G

Game33

Audiophyte
Hello as the title suggests i can have either the yamaha or dennon for same price i already orderd the yamaha and can offload since iterest on them is on all time high here, the dennon is in complete different level but never auditioned one, also the hdmi box thing make me uncomfortable. Is it better i return / sell the yamaha and get the dennon for the same price?
current setup
C607 with c60 cen and surr
Rxa830
Crown xls2502
PS5
Cx

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hello and welcome. Keep in mind the Yamaha will not be 4K @120 capable until a future firmware update is released. Are there any other features you want that one may not have compared to the other?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Denon features the Audyssey EQ firmware which usually performs better than Yamaha's YPAO room EQ.

Last edited:
G

Game33

Audiophyte
Hello and welcome. Keep in mind the Yamaha will not be 4K @120 capable until a future firmware update is released. Are there any other features you want that one may not have compared to the other?
Technically am aware of all the updates the current situations and bugs the AB hdmi my concern for the same price which one would fare better im going 5.1 with atmos on mind would 2 atmos speaker do the trick also is the auro 3d worth it on 5.1.4 are the the two av at the same level ?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
No, it does not. Yamaha sounds much better than Denon.
If both Yamaha and Denon AVRs are operating within their designed limits, they will sound the same, and that's a real fact.

You definitely have a lot of reading of more serious A/V audio articles to do.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No, it does not. Yamaha sounds much better than Denon.
I disagree with this... on a couple of different levels, but to keep it short Audyssey MultEQ XT32 does a better job for room correction than YPAO, IME.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Both are quality units and some prefer one brand over another. Get more for the same money. Denon has more amps, more channel processing and a universal remote control. I'd go that way myself.

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
If both Yamaha and Denon AVRs are operating within their designed limits, they will sound the same, and that's a real fact.

You definitely have a lot of reading of more serious A/V audio articles to do.
I owned the Denon you have in your signature. I compared it with a Yamaha V6A. Night and day. Denon went back to the store. I can prove what I am about to write now. More than 30 hours of Audissey calibrations including the x32 without a decent result. Three calibrations on the Yamaha, two of them because I changed the position of the speakers and sounded right every time.
Last, maybe I do not understand what you try to say but if this is true there is no need to buy expensive avrs since all sound the same. I owned a NAD T778 with Dirac. It blows your Denon out of the water. Though it sounds better than the V6A, It is not very far.
Last, reading your signature, you are using external amps while I am talking about internal amps.
I personally will never touch a Denon or Marantz ever. Over 30 hours of tedious Audissey calibration for nothing. Maybe in tests Denon sounds best but in my room, in real life conditions, Yamaha sounds way better, and YPAO does a very good job.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I personally will never touch a Denon or Marantz ever. Over 30 hours of tedious Audissey calibration for nothing. Maybe in tests Denon sounds best but in my room, in real life conditions, Yamaha sounds way better, and YPAO does a very good job.
You've just said that in your room, the Yamaha sounds better and YAPO does a very good job. That's quite different than your previous post with a blanket statement that Yamaha sounds better than Denon.

Bear in mind that the speakers and the listening room have more influence on the overall performance than any good electronics.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
“Onkyo TX-RZ50 with Dirac for the win f#%kers!” he screamed while running across the room at full speed to avoid the beer bottles.;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL love these "my avr brand blows your avr brand out of the water because I tried one once" posts.

G

Game33

Audiophyte
The rx-a4a arrived today setup done not optimized yet still sound better than the crown with rxa830 togather

G

Game33

Audiophyte
yeah its great ;) my wife is not nerdy like me and she approve the enhancement i guess it have to do with better calibration and removing class D amp? dunno but glad also i finally can do atmos and 4k straight from AV haha

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I owned the Denon you have in your signature. I compared it with a Yamaha V6A. Night and day. Denon went back to the store. I can prove what I am about to write now. More than 30 hours of Audissey calibrations including the x32 without a decent result. Three calibrations on the Yamaha, two of them because I changed the position of the speakers and sounded right every time.
Last, maybe I do not understand what you try to say but if this is true there is no need to buy expensive avrs since all sound the same. I owned a NAD T778 with Dirac. It blows your Denon out of the water. Though it sounds better than the V6A, It is not very far.
Last, reading your signature, you are using external amps while I am talking about internal amps.
Do you think it comes down to personal preference when it comes to all these AUTO room EQ?

When we search the internet, we will find different opinions on which is better.

I’ve owned both Denon and Yamaha. I believe 100% that they both sound equally great. So to me, the DIFFERENCE isn’t the sound quality.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
yeah its great ;) my wife is not nerdy like me and she approve the enhancement i guess it have to do with better calibration and removing class D amp? dunno but glad also i finally can do atmos and 4k straight from AV haha
Put it this way, if the Yamaha has all the features and the look you like, its all good. Subjective opinions by others on the A sounds better than B should be read for fun only and not take such opinions seriously, as many of those posts can be quite entertaining while misleading to some..

Some people, like me, believe most if not all such avrs if used well below their power output limits will sound the same for normal use. So I would just choose base of features I need, the look, reliability track record of the brand (that is a tough one, one has to know how to research on this), and lastly the specifications and bench test measurements. If you on with the bench test measurements, then yes return the Yamaha and get the Denon, assuming the Denon has all the features and look you need.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just love it when someone comes here asking for opinions then summarily dismisses the ones that don't match their presuppositions... lol

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The reason why I say if go by bench test measurements, take the Denon 4700:

ECO "On" Kills Amplifier Power of Your Yamaha AVENTAGE AV Receiver! - YouTube

66 dB SINAD = 0.05% THD+N at the pre out of some channels may result in a little lower SINAD at the power amp output. That may not matter to the ears/brains, but.. If I understood right, Gene was trying to get a response from Yamaha could do something to fix the issue via FW. At least the output level seemed great, didn't shutdown at or near 2 V like the RX-A860, 1080 might do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis