I have no idea what I'm doing

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Both speakers are 8 ohms and they are wired in series for a total of 16. The receiver says it's capable of 6 to 16. Is this not true?

I have a bit of experience in this department due to hooking up stereo systems in cars. I guess I should have clarified that they are in series.
In home audio, there is really no reason to do this. More is not better. Simply, the two Tweeters will be interfering with each other.
It is possible that you won't notice it.
Regardless, from a standpoint of "best practices," it is not advised regardless how you wire it.
If you did wire it correctly in series, you are correct that the impedance will double rather than halve and this will not be destructive to the equipment.

End of the day, it is your system. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Tenatra

Tenatra

Enthusiast
RTFM is one of my favorite acronyms :)
I really don't think it would have covered this one. It was set to auto and surround sound worked on everything else including all other apps. It was an app issue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just helpful sometimes when you go thru everything and point things out that the manual seems to indicate otherwise on. Sometimes it's something stupid like a reset needed....or HDMI/ARC issues....or a variety of other things :) Glad you got it figured out and note I didn't tell you to go RTFM before either :)

Tenatra

Tenatra

Enthusiast
In home audio, there is really no reason to do this. More is not better. Simply, the two Tweeters will be interfering with each other.
It is possible that you won't notice it.
Regardless, from a standpoint of "best practices," it is not advised regardless how you wire it.
If you did wire it correctly in series, you are correct that the impedance will double rather than halve and this will not be destructive to the equipment.

End of the day, it is your system. Enjoy.
The reason I added the second one is because the first one was not clear or loud enough despite adjusting. Wiring in the second one is much cheaper considering it's free than buying a new one. The OG center channel had one 4 in speaker...now I have 2...like most of the center channels I'm seeing online.

It sounds better so I'm not going to mess with it.

Tenatra

Tenatra

Enthusiast
I'm going to say more is not ALWAYS better. But sometimes it's better. In my case upgrading from a super cheap single speaker center to two of them definitely was an improvement and now I'm comfortable not buying a new center.

The true right answer would be a higher quality component, but free is free and I made it work.

Currently I'm about $400 into everything and I'm loving it, minus wanting a bit more bass. I think that's pretty good considering the receiver itself currently retails for 500ish.

I'm not trying to argue, discredit, or anything but it certainly sounds much better now.

I very much appreciate the advice and help this forum has given.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis