I have found the most 1980's exotic car imaginable....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I present to you the Cizeta-Moroder V16T:

Look at this thing, it's like someone smushed together a Lamboghini Diablo and Ferrari Testarrosa together. And the name is like something you would see in a racing video game where the developers weren't able to secure copyrights to put an existing car in their game so they just made up a close variant. I am in love with this thing. It actually has a V16 engine as its name would suggest.

How could it be more 80's? Here is how: the name Mororder is from one of its stylists, who is much better known for his music: Giorgio Mororder, who is one of the key guys who shaped the sound of pop music in the 1980's, if not THE key guy. This is the most ridiculously 80's car ever made. I can't believe I only just found out about this thing. It really is quite wonderful!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I can actually hear your mullet growing from here...
It does look pretty cool. For sure if a testarrosa and a Diablo had a kid, this would be it. Like your “game” description too. Funny.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Giovanni Giorgio Moroder designed cars too? Wow! I knew he was involved in the early London rock scene with the Stones & Yardbirds and a lot of other well known UK bands of the time that I can't remember now but this is news to me. Cool.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
People complained about the Diablo for being too quiet - it was. You'd never know by listening what car that was.

This thing, I have to wonder how far it goes before overheating!

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
And I want it SO badly! Wasn't familiar with this one. Very cool! Sssssooooo 80s...it's perfect.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry, while CM is definitely very 80s and very exotic, it's not the only obscure and exotic 80s supercar.
May I present to you ladies and gents De Tomaso Pantera. Body by Ghia (as in Karman Ghia) and Ford Mustang v8 block.

and here's rear side spotted by yours truly: (I guess living not far from the drag race helps to see more exotic and modified car)

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Sorry, while CM is definitely very 80s and very exotic, it's not the only obscure and exotic 80s supercar.
May I present to you ladies and gents De Tomaso Pantera. Body by Ghia (as in Karman Ghia) and Ford Mustang v8 block.

and here's rear side spotted by yours truly: (I guess living not far from the drag race helps to see more exotic and modified car)

Is that the air cleaner I see in the back window? How do you drive this and not go deaf? I'm not saying it's a bad thing if the performance is there...

Definitely looks better than the 90's Camaro on a set of 22" spinners I saw up in the hood a couple of years back. That thing must have had at least 12" of ground clearance. Wish I had gotten a photo...definitely would have gone in the category of crappy car mods...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know, I still think the Vector was the quintessential gaudy 80s car

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Pantera Detomaso is a great car alright, but it is hardly obscure. In fact, when I was growing up, there was a yellow one that used to drive around my own hometown. There were 7,000 Panteras made, and that is a lot for an Italian supercar, but there were only 19 Cizeta-Moroders produced, so it is not quite as exotic. Still what a beast the Pantera is! I always thought it was the perfect stylistic blend of american muscle and Italian pizzazz. It uses the aesthetics of both brute force and also elegance, whereas most of these cars were one or the other but not typically both.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't know, I still think the Vector was the quintessential gaudy 80s car

Yeah, Vectors were badass. It looks like what it is, an american attempt at an italian style supercar. It is far too angular to have come from the Italians though, even the Countach was much more organically shaped. It looks like a prop car from a movie that is set in the future that was produced in the 1980's. I would call it 'starkly futuristic.' Vectors are a rare bird too, not a whole lot were ever produced. That car has to be the closest fusion ever made between a bullet and a street car. Absolutely badass!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Pantera Detomaso is a great car alright, but it is hardly obscure. In fact, when I was growing up, there was a yellow one that used to drive around my own hometown. There were 7,000 Panteras made, and that is a lot for an Italian supercar, but there were only 19 Cizeta-Moroders produced, so it is not quite as exotic. Still what a beast the Pantera is! I always thought it was the perfect stylistic blend of american muscle and Italian pizzazz. It uses the aesthetics of both brute force and also elegance, whereas most of these cars were one or the other but not typically both.
Ok, You have a fair point on total cars made numbers. I've managed to see one alive Pantera outside of car show, yet I've ever seen even a single Cizeta-Moroder, or if I ever did see it, I may confuse it with a Ferrari.
But tbh, even if 7k were produced, in my a bit over 40 years, that one time is only time I've seen or heard about Detomaso brand, so it's obscure to me :)

One car which I think trumps all these toys is one I've seen once driving on RT18, not far from Colts Neck, NJ (google it if you would like to know where multi-millionaires live) and it was real Ford GT40. Who knows, it might have been Bruce Springsteen's. According to wiki 105 were made. A recent auction hammer price was 11mil. Unfortunately didn't snap any photos, unlike traffic light, driving at the legal speed limit of 65mph [:rolleyes:] and using a smartphone is not very advisable...

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

The Pantera is a beautifully "sculpted" body and its fabulous good looks are truly understated unlike the Vector amd Mororder which shout "look at me!!!"

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Pantera is a beautifully "sculpted" body and its fabulous good looks are truly understated unlike the Vector amd Mororder which shout "look at me!!!"
You are most certainly the only person in history to have called the Pantera "truly understated," however compared to the Vector and Cizeta-Moroder perhaps it isn't as flamboyant. The one I remember seeing around town had a large Countach-esque spoiler like so:

.. so I don't associate it with being subtle. Imagine looking at that rear in a car behind it in traffic: nothing could possibly say "eat my dust" more than that!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Too bad the pantera was ruined ford power...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The funny thing is people tend to associate these very large spoiler wings with speed, but in reality, in a straight line, these would actually slow the car down a bit. This is why modern super and hypercars, a wing is controlled by smart electronics and could be lowered to maximize top speed is so desired.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Too bad the pantera was ruined ford power...
huh? Ford is ruined the Pantera almost completely, then they decided to stop selling De Tomaso new engines. They survived a bit longer on gray market and few alternatives, but mostly US imports were stopped due to Ford's call.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
huh? Ford is ruined the Pantera almost completely, then they decided to stop selling De Tomaso new engines. They survived a bit longer on gray market and few alternatives, but mostly US imports were stopped due to Ford's call.
The story is actually quite interesting. I was just saying it should never have been powered by a ford boat anchor.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
The story is actually quite interesting. I was just saying it should never have been powered by a ford boat anchor.
Think what you will about the Ford motor, but the Pantera can sound absolutely beastly. Seen several of them throughout my life and I'm always in awe. What a fantastic design. What would you think about doing the obligatory "LS swap" on one? Haha. That thing would absolutely fly.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You are most certainly the only person in history to have called the Pantera "truly understated," however compared to the Vector and Cizeta-Moroder perhaps it isn't as flamboyant. The one I remember seeing around town had a large Countach-esque spoiler like so:

.. so I don't associate it with being subtle. Imagine looking at that rear in a car behind it in traffic: nothing could possibly say "eat my dust" more than that!
I say understated because you have to realize that first and foremost, this is a mid-engine car and all midengine cars have that look. From that standpoint, I say understated.

My favourite car look is still the Porsche 930 Turbo

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis