I have a tile ceiling... which type of insualtion do i need?

• Thread starter cameron paterson
  • Start date
annunaki

annunaki

What is the gap between your drop ceiling and the floor joists? Also are your floor joists insulated between them?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
From the drop ceiling to the upstairs floor is about 12". And no the joists are not insulated. Floor joists are 2 inches above drop ceiling. But im sure I can squish the insulation under it.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

If you are intent on stopping sound transmission I would use Thermafiber. It is pricey but it works well at absorbing sound.

If you could insulate between the joists and then again on top of the ceiling panels with an air gap in the middle that would create a very good sonic barrier.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I don't have the cash to do both insulate between the joints and lay them on the tiles. Would my best bet be to lay them on the tiles? Would this help a lot with quality of sound? Or just make my speakers quieter? My main question is will it be justified in spending $150 for the quality of sound it will give me?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Do I need attic insulation not wall insulation?

annunaki

annunaki

The R-15 version is fine.

If you can only afford one layer put it in the joist gaps. The drop ceiling though thin is dense and will act as a small absorption layer. The air gap between the tiles and the insulation will be similar to that of a staggered stud wall configuration and help cut down on sound transmission.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
So it will make my room sound better all around? Is this treatment worth the money?

annunaki

annunaki

So it will make my room sound better all around? Is this treatment worth the money?
See my PM. Next time state your goal of what you are trying to accomplish. :)

If the goal is better sound in the room, DIY acoustic panels will be your ticket. If it is to cut down on sound emanating from the room or ambient noise from creeping in, then it is using some sound control products in your ceiling, etc.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
https://www.homedepot.com/s/insulation%20roll?NCNI-5

Which insulation do I need to put on top of my tile ceiling panels for best sound? Here is a picture of my ceiling tiles. Will the cost be worth it? I mean will it help the sound enough for the price? I have about 300 sq feet to cover.
Putting insulation above the tiles won't do much, if anything, for the sound in that room. If you have a hard floor, put some rugs on it. If the walls are bare and hard, put something between the speakers and walls. It might prevent the tiles rattling, but it won't do much else for that room unless noise is entering from above.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Cool thanks highfigh. The tiles are not rattling at all just thought the insulation might give better sound. So since my goal is better sound there is no reason to treat it with insulation because it wont help? I have carpeted floors and two 5' tall shelves with all my blu-rays in them.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
You'd have to put 8 or more inches of insulation in there to have any effect. They actually have higher performing acoustic tiles that will fit your existing grid without any modifications. These are used for sound control in commercial and residential applications so your room should be easy.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
why would sound control help my sound though?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
why would sound control help my sound though?
That's for you to decide if you even have a problem in the first place. Typically, acoustic tiles stop ambient noise between spaces and things like echo/ reverberations etc. You're probably fine as is. You seemed concerned, as if you are not getting satisfactory performance from your system?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
No my setup sounds great just want to make it the best it can be!

annunaki

annunaki

If you are looking to enhance the sound of the room, Acoustic panels at reflection points can help. They are low cost to build. Try two, experiment with placement, see what you think, and add more if needed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis