I have a question about connecting XLR cables

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
392K or whatever isn't the audio output- you seem to be confusing digital rates with audible frequency response and they're two very different things. We don't hear 15KHz in most case and if someone can hear 12KHZ after they reach the age of 40, it's usually because they have been careful about sound level exposure.
It's called kilohertz audio with resolution like that you can get with streaming audio

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
Ok. Now, I have a question for you. Do you have any SACDs or just CDs? The Yamaha CD-S2100 is limited to two channel output when playing SACDs and has no 5.1 analog outputs and also no HDMI output. Multichannel DSD signals are not supported over two channel analog ports or coaxial and optical ports.

If you want to enjoy SACDs with multichannel(5.1) tracks, you must get a player with HDMI output. A SACD player with just 5.1 analog outputs and no HDMI output will not work with the Yamaha RX-A6A because the RX-A6A has no multichannel analog inputs(EXT IN 7.1).

If you want to enjoy multichannel music from blu-ray music discs, DVD-AUDIO discs and SACD, Sony is the only source for a new player. You can spend lots of money on a used Oppo player but it is not necessary. You really only need to look at the Sony UBP-X800M2 to play all of those discs as well as CD and 4K blu-ray discs.

For files that contain Dolby Atmos and DSD signals, you can also connect the drive on which they are stored into the USB port on the Sony UBP-X800M2 and it will output the audio accordingly over HDMI. The player can also connect to a network media server and streaming services but that job is best left to the Yamaha for two channel audio rips and music service streams. The Yamaha MusicCast app is fantastic and I prefer it over Denon/Marantz HEOS app or Onkyo’s Controller app and DTS-Play-Fi companion apps.

Again, the Yamaha RX-A6A is a very capable machine with a DAC that does not need assistance from other devices. Simply connect a new player via HDMI cable to it and let it do its job. You won't regret it. If you don’t like the sound, get new speakers.;)
Like I said before I am still green but not stupid
I know how CD-S2100 operate
For SACD in 5+1 I have Yamaha BD-A1060 with great audio options for music also my home cinema is 5+1+2 also RX-A6A give you option to plug in what ever you want

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
The 24-bit and Very High Sampling Rate Delusion:

From the link
,,Historical note: The 16-bit format existed long before 16-bit digital-to-analog converters (DACs) were available,,
how was 16 bits available before the invention of the DAC if a person hears analog sound and not digital it's the same as someone inventing a light bulb and electricity a long time later you talk not to read nonsense on the internet and you do it yourself
I read info from this link technical stuff but many thing does not have any sense if more bits per second and more Khz is bullshit because human ear can't hear Difference so how the truck I can hear massive difference between normal audio from standard CD and the same album and music from SACD using same amp and speaker I hear Difference because SACD is recorded with higher audio resolution

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
From the link
,,Historical note: The 16-bit format existed long before 16-bit digital-to-analog converters (DACs) were available,,
how was 16 bits available before the invention of the DAC if a person hears analog sound and not digital it's the same as someone inventing a light bulb and electricity a long time later you talk not to read nonsense on the internet and you do it yourself
I read info from this link technical stuff but many thing does not have any sense if more bits per second and more Khz is bullshit because human ear can't hear Difference so how the truck I can hear massive difference between normal audio from st andard CD and the same album and music from SACD using same amp and speaker I hear Difference because SACD is recorded with higher audio resolution
You can't hear differences with any higher resolution over that of the CD format. The only difference between the SACD multi-channel layer and the stereo layer is that the SACD layer allows you to enjoy 5 channel surround sound.

You haven't read the Mojo Audio article about the oversampling delusion which I refer to at post #102. Neither the 24-bit depth nor oversampling improve on SQ whatsoever. The 16-bit depth has a maximum dynamic range of 96dB vs 144dB for the 24-bit depth. It's obvious that those dynamic ranges are far too excessive for any home audio reproduction.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
105 posts, did the Op ever get his initial questions answered ? this thread reminds me of some of the recent RR derailments ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Like I said before I am still green but not stupid
I know how CD-S2100 operate
For SACD in 5+1 I have Yamaha BD-A1060 with great audio options for music also my home cinema is 5+1+2 also RX-A6A give you option to plug in what ever you want
Nobody is calling you stupid. However, most of the people who claim to hear a difference in sound from different devices and cables rather than different speakers have usually spent too much money on too many overpriced devices in the first place. They seem to be trying to convince themselves of any perceivable differences in sound more than trying to convince others of them to justify their spending.

You never mentioned your blu-ray player. Both of your disc players were overpriced when new and are now obsolete. If you want a current player at a reasonable price, get the recommended Sony for all of your disc formats. If you want to continue to live in the fantasy that spending more money on overpriced devices and cables results in better sound, continue to argue with people who are far more informed. Obstinado!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have another idea Last time I watch some channel about audio and subject was to improve audio signal for better sound quality using HDMI audio extractor
And questions is what if I connect cassette deck player with RCA to HDMI audio extractor and from audio extractor cable hdmi to amplituner
So from amplifier to audio extractor will be hdmi cable from audio extractor to cassette deck will be RCA
What do you guys think?
I think that you still have a lot of concepts that you aren't wrapping your head around. You are also reading some information that is well out of date. There are some pieces of information you've presented that are mixing data types up as well, which is not appropriate.

A HDMI audio extractor EXTRACTS audio from a HDMI source and gives you digital 5.1 audio for a speaker bar or older AV receiver which does not have a HDMI connection on it. Likewise, it can give you analog audio OUT to a receiver or system that needs stereo audio. It doesn't work the other way. You can't plug in a stereo source and get HDMI out of it. Plus, if you could, it would just be a analog to digital converter, which wouldn't make almost any sense in a typical home setup. Analog to digital converters absolutely exist, but they generally are very basic. They don't improve the analog audio or filter noise. Most don't have XLR inputs, but generic analog connections. Like this $70 model from Gefen...
There are professional analog to digital converters. There are also decent ones designed to be used with microphones for USB connectivity to a computer. These can range from under $100 to thousands of dollars depending on requirements... But NONE of them really improve upon the original analog audio.

Read that last sentence again! It's really critical.

Now, a device may have certain frequencies it reproduces. That would be measured in hertz (Hz) or kilohertz (kHz). This is different from data transfer rates, or audio compression rates.

MP3s are typically measured in kilobits per second (Kbs). They use a lossy compression method which can vary from about 64 to 320 kilobits per second. Many people can't distinguish between a CD and a 128Kbs MP3 file on average audio gear. Some people can.
CDs operate at a fixed data rate of 1,411Kbs. How is it that a MP3 at 128Kbs can sound the same to most people as a 1,411Kbs CD? First of all, because MP3s use compression to pack more data into the space they have available. Moreso, because we don't listen to digital audio, we listen to analog audio. This means our ears aren't perfect. Some are better, some are worse. A CD doesn't use any type of compression to save space. That wasn't really possible to do when the CD came to market many decades ago. It was considered a gold standard for audio fidelity at the time and many people considered, and still consider the CD to be lossless audio. It isn't though. It has a very high sampling rate, but it still is only taking samples of an analog waveform. There are newer forms of digital audio which have higher sampling rate with more bit depth. In some cases, those higher bitrate audio formats can sound better to some people.

But, the mass majority of people do not hear any audible difference between high resolution audio and CD audio. Or the difference between a good 128Kbs MP3 and CD audio.

This is all very circular and comes down to the same concept. Your ears can't hear a difference in almost any of these things. It is good not to just use garbage sources and lousy cabling and cheap speakers. But, it's also useless to get great speakers and a great source then put them into a lousy room. If you can't really hear the difference between a XLR and a RCA or a digital audio connection IN YOUR SETUP, then, like most of us, you're pretty normal. But, don't worry to much about the technical side of things if you aren't enjoying the audio because of it. Just enjoy the music.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
384 Khz not 392 but thanks I will have a look we learn everyday something new
You want to nit-pick me for this when you can't understand or accept what we have told you? Seriously? (Only had one cup of coffee at the time)

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
You want to nit-pick me for this when you can't understand or accept what we have told you? Seriously? (Only had one cup of coffee at the time)
I understand all of it relax is difficult buy I got it I don't agree with all but most of it right don't worry I check all around any info I
I greatly appreciate your patience and your opinions

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I understand all of it relax is difficult buy I got it I don't agree with all but most of it right don't worry I check all around any info I
I greatly appreciate your patience and your opinions
If you disagree with most of this, I would doubt that you understand it. Nothing personal, but we have been doing this for a long time.

Campbell

Campbell

Enthusiast
In your case, connecting your amplifier and CD player using XLR cables is doable but might not be the best option for your setup. XLR cables are designed to carry balanced signals and aid in reducing noise and interference when stretched out over longer spans. However, the CD player likely doesn't have a balanced output, so connecting it to the amplifier with XLR cables may not give any significant advantages compared to having standard RCA cables.

It's also worth noting that XLR cables are rarely used to directly link speakers to amplifiers. Instead, speaker cables or banana plugs are usually used for this purpose.

In the end, the most suitable way of linking your amplifier and CD player will depend on the equipment you own and the inputs/outputs available on each piece. I suggest referring to both user manuals of your amp and CD player to determine which connection method would work best.

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
In your case, connecting your amplifier and CD player using XLR cables is doable but might not be the best option for your setup. XLR cables are designed to carry balanced signals and aid in reducing noise and interference when stretched out over longer spans. However, the CD player likely doesn't have a balanced output, so connecting it to the amplifier with XLR cables may not give any significant advantages compared to having standard RCA cables.

It's also worth noting that XLR cables are rarely used to directly link speakers to amplifiers. Instead, speaker cables or banana plugs are usually used for this purpose.

In the end, the most suitable way of linking your amplifier and CD player will depend on the equipment you own and the inputs/outputs available on each piece. I suggest referring to both user manuals of your amp and CD player to determine which connection method would work best.

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
What the hell you talk about ???? My CD player has XLR outputs and you don't have to use long distance from cables like that you can buy you don't have to and also they are much better from RCA because they are balanced and RCA are not
If manufacture give option like that then why not to use
Yamaha CD-S2100
Yamaha RX-A6A

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis