I hate car dealers/car salemen

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Once upon a time Japanese cars was seen as junk, at best. How times have changed!
You could say the same for Korean cars, if not right now due to still questionable long-term build durability, but very soon for sure. They hired a bunch of people from BMW did wonders for them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Similar for my Ioniq 5. The spectacular deal they are offering is on the RWD ONLY and also does not include taxes. I was only interested in the AWD. I told him "That is false advertising" He said "Kind of, but it is common across all dealers."

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You could say the same for Korean cars, if not right now due to still questionable long-term build durability, but very soon for sure. They hired a bunch of people from BMW did wonders for them.
They caught up to us from a meagre start after WWII but for sure it required much more than hiring people from Europe to accomplish that.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Once upon a time Japanese cars was seen as junk, at best. How times have changed!
I bought a brand new Toyota Corolla off the showroom floor in 1977 for 3000 dollars.
It lasted 15 years. (literally fell apart from rust..the older Jap cars did that..engine and everything else was still going strong)

This was right around the time laid off steelworkers here around Pittsburgh were selling raffle tickets to take sledgehammers to Jap cars they had collected in a parking lot.
I took a lot of flak for buying "That Jap Junk".

Two years later when the gas crunch hit, they were putting deposits down on Toyota's, Datsun's and Honda's, and waiting 4 months for them to make it across the ocean.
Couldn't even sell their unreliable gas guzzling Detroit poop buckets.
The Corolla had gone up to 8000 dollars by then. (and still was worth every penny)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
I bought a brand new Toyota Corolla off the showroom floor in 1977 for 3000 dollars.
It lasted 15 years. (literally fell apart from rust..the older Jap cars did that..engine and everything else was still going strong)

This was right around the time laid off steelworkers here around Pittsburgh were selling raffle tickets to take sledgehammers to Jap cars they had collected in a parking lot.
I took a lot of flak for buying "That Jap Junk".

Two years later when the gas crunch hit, they were putting deposits down on Toyota's, Datsun's and Honda's, and waiting 4 months for them to make it across the ocean.
Couldn't even sell their unreliable gas guzzling Detroit poop buckets.
The Corolla had gone up to 8000 dollars by then. (and still was worth every penny)
I also grew up in the Burgh in in the 70s. Joined the USAF after high school in 1975. My dad would never even think about owning a Japanese car but when I returned home in 1979 my family had 2 civics. Man, they were tiny back then but the front wheel drive and gas milage were so far ahead of the curve in the US. I drive an all wheel drive Subaru Cross trek now and couldn't be happier. BTW, which part of the Burgh do you hail from?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
I also grew up in the Burgh in in the 70s. Joined the USAF after high school in 1975. My dad would never even think about owning a Japanese car but when I returned home in 1979 my family had 2 civics. Man, they were tiny back then but the front wheel drive and gas milage were so far ahead of the curve in the US. I drive an all wheel drive Subaru Cross trek now and couldn't be happier. BTW, which part of the Burgh do you hail from?
I'm in Arnold/New Kensington.
I'm from further south though until 2005 or so...Connellsville, Greensburg, Mount Pleasant, Smithfield, Masontown and many others between here and West Virginny.
Graduated 1975 from Connellsville High.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I’ve never owned a car in my life though I’ve had a driver license for many decades.

I do practice driving in the summertime to the tune of thousands of km. Around 2000km, but who’s counting?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Car salespeople are like lawyers: they get paid to lie. You can count on it.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
I'm in Arnold/New Kensington.
I'm from further south though until 2005 or so...Connellsville, Greensburg, Mount Pleasant, Smithfield, Masontown and many others between here and West Virginny.
Graduated 1975 from Connellsville High.
Graduated 1973 from Baldwin HS in the south hills. Thanks.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
This exact song and dance is why I really, really hate car buying:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Here is the last update on this thread: I bit the bullet and leased a Kia ev9. It was A deal that was hard to say no to, but I had to fight hard to get it. Again, this is the experience I would like to avoid for the foreseeable future.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Here is the last update on this thread: I bit the bullet and leased a Kia ev9. It was A deal that was hard to say no to, but I had to fight hard to get it. Again, this is the experience I would like to avoid for the foreseeable future.
I avoided car dealers by keeping a car for as long as possible. The car I replaced nearly 2 years ago was a year 2000 Volvo S70 sedan. I bought it used in 2003.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I avoided car dealers by keeping a car for as long as possible. The car I replaced nearly 2 years ago was a year 2000 Volvo S70 sedan. I bought it used in 2003.
I avoid car dealers by not owning a car, though I've had a drivers license for over three decades. :D

I guess I won!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Having bought so many cars or helped others over the years I have a lot of stories. My favorites are the one where the dealer wanted my car keys and not just to copy but to keep my license if I took a test drive. Goodbye. Second was the dealer where the buyer I was with felt so uncomfortable in the lot he couldn’t wait for the salesperson to go inside so we could leave. As we were leaving the salesperson ran out of the sales building chasing my car down the lot screaming, “wait, wait don’t leave”. There are some great dealers and salespeople and others to avoid just like many other businesses. Great that you’re doing your research and sticking to what you want and your budget. It gets me when I hear buyers answering the standard first question, “how much do you want to pay a month?”with anything but, ‘want to pay? Zero”. If you don’t feel comfortable or like the deal, move on.
"You want me to leave my license, which means I would be driving illegally. I'll tell you what- why don't I just leave and go to a different dealer?".

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Reminds me of one of my favorite posters, I have the t-shirt ..........

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Reminds me of one of my favorite posters, I have the t-shirt ..........

Smart. I attended a financial planning class and the instructor said there were 2 kinds of car people. One where a nice late model car is important and so you should build that payment or expense into your budget. The other he said is a car is just transportation and he suggested buying a car and running it into the ground. He shared he was in the latter group. I’ve had a company car for years so I‘ve been living in the first group. When I have to buy my next car I’ll be in the latter group but it’s gonna be a nice ride.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't like making endless payments for something that only loses value, over time. I also don't like the idea that it will lose value as soon as it leaves the lot, so I buy good used vehicles. I also repair what I can, rather than pay someone (I have done extensive repairs and have been trained for fuel injection) and have saved enough money that if I were to consider the money I have saved over the time since I bought my first car, my last two vehicles were free.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis