Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I started having pain in one of my teeth on the bottom, in the back of my mouth. It got bad enough for me to see the dentist. He looks and can't see anything. There's no swelling. X rays didn't show anything either so he's thinking possibly a cracked tooth and refers me to an endodontist.

The endo tells me it's likely a nerve dying in one of my back teeth and recommends a root canal. Great. 2 words I never wanted to hear applied to me. I've never had a toothache before tho and this was pretty bad so I made the appointment. I show up for my root canal and tell him, "I think we got the wrong tooth. Number 18 seems to have pulled ahead of 19 and I think we need to reevaluate.".

So we tapped on the 2 teeth, poked at my gums and put cold q tips against them to try and figure it out. I couldn't say with any certainty which hurt worse, but he said he's 75% sure it's number 19. Well 75% isn't good enough for me so I backed out and rescheduled to see if one tooth pulled ahead of the other. Fast forward 2 weeks and I notice a bump on my gum right behind my last tooth. That bump turned into an open sore. I went back to the dentist today and just got back.

There was a bone fragment that he guessed was left over after I had my wisdom teeth out 30 some years ago and it finally worked it's way out. He picked at it and was able to flick it out with one of his tools. Instant relief! It was hurting so bad. I had pain in my neck, jaw, glands and a headache from this crap! Hot and cold sensitivity, had to chew on one side of my mouth... It went on for 3 or 4 weeks! It was awful.

Needless to say, I did not need a root canal and I sure am glad I stuck to my guns on that one!

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
WOW! Nothing worse than dental problems. I had an abscessed tooth as a kid. Holy Fukk that was rough. Glad you got it figured out man. Hope he at least gave you some vikes or something.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
WOW! Nothing worse than dental problems. I had an abscessed tooth as a kid. Holy Fukk that was rough. Glad you got it figured out man. Hope he at least gave you some vikes or something.
Oh hell no! That first week they gave me 8 T3s (Tylenol with codeine) and it didn't even touch it. He was damned stingy about doing even that! Prick.

I was thinking about this too, IF I had done that root canal, the idea was the pain would be gone because the nerve is dead now. I think once the novacaine wore off it probably woulda hurt ten times worse! That whole area was super sensitive and I can only imagine what it'd feel like after stabbing it with needles and drilling out a tooth!

My wife ragged on me pretty hard for "chickening out" too. I wasn't skeered, I wasn't confident it was the right tooth. I was right! Ha!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice. Glad it was so simple. Tooth pain is no joke.
It ended up being simple but I suffered for almost a month!

What a weird thing to happen too. Bone sliver about the size of a grain of rice, maybe a little bit smaller from something that happened from over 30 years ago.

I remember getting my wisdom teeth out. That was awful too. I had bruising on that side of my face along my jawline. I pictured the doc with his foot on my forehead for leverage while he yanked with both hands for that tooth... my jaw was never the same after that and for years it would sometimes lock up on me. I now think that he fractured my jaw.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It ended up being simple but I suffered for almost a month!

What a weird thing to happen too. Bone sliver about the size of a grain of rice, maybe a little bit smaller from something that happened from over 30 years ago.

I remember getting my wisdom teeth out. That was awful too. I had bruising on that side of my face along my jawline. I pictured the doc with his foot on my forehead for leverage while he yanked with both hands for that tooth... my jaw was never the same after that and for years it would sometimes lock up on me. I now think that he fractured my jaw.
I would hope dental care has come a ways in 30 years. Granted when I was a kid my dentist pried my tooth out with a wood q-tip without any numbing. That was awesome.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would hope dental care has come a ways in 30 years. Granted when I was a kid my dentist pried my tooth out with a wood q-tip without any numbing. That was awesome.
Reading this got an instant cringe reaction from me, lol.

Eek!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've had plenty of false alarms on tooth pain, altho in the long run several root canals/tooth removals were needed. Had a car accident when I was 16 that has been the "root" of much of my dental issues.

ps My dad was weird, he preferred dental work without anesthesia. I'm the opposite, pour on the drugs!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Talking about dental pain, know an older lady just told me the story. She bit on a grape and pain in her jaw and back by the teeth.
Called her dentist on a Sunday, went in, looked, x-rayed, etc. Nothing. He told her better go to ER.
Yep, something about her heart, something bleeding. Surgery asap. She would have died in a few days.
Interesting how and where some issues in the body show themselves.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I had a filling fall out of a tooth when I was 150 miles offshore in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.
I had 3 days to go on my 14/7. The pain was unreal! went though a whole bottle of Ibuprofen didn’t help couldn’t sleep. The only thing that helped with the pain was I crushed aspirin and put it Directly on the tooth. After that I kept this Temporary tooth filling kit plus Oral gel in my bag at the times when I’d go offshore.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Man, so glad that it worked out for you! Dental pain is no fun.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Glad it worked out. Dentists are no fun. I do remember wisdom teeth extractions at age 20 or so (well, parts of it). I was pretty medicated. I did also get that dry socket on one side afterwards but they took care of it. I do remember the day of surgery, throwing the bloody gauze at my little brother. Precious moments... LOL :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I mean...he's no spring chicken... :)
How many of us are? ;)

At least I’m not a Winter Chicken! (Yet.) :p ...hope there’s at least 10-15 more... “good” years ...in the tank before I go full old codger.:oops::confused::p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can drink coffee and yawn with no pain!

Sorry, just got up a little bit ago and I'm still pretty tickled the ordeal is over.
Glad it worked out. Dentists are no fun. I do remember wisdom teeth extractions at age 20 or so (well, parts of it). I was pretty medicated. I did also get that dry socket on one side afterwards but they took care of it. I do remember the day of surgery, throwing the bloody gauze at my little brother. Precious moments... LOL :)
When I had mine out they straight put me under. I wasn't even awake for it. Same thing happened to me (dry socket, that is). That was pretty miserable too, but I think this beats it.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I started having pain in one of my teeth on the bottom, in the back of my mouth. It got bad enough for me to see the dentist. He looks and can't see anything. There's no swelling. X rays didn't show anything either so he's thinking possibly a cracked tooth and refers me to an endodontist.

The endo tells me it's likely a nerve dying in one of my back teeth and recommends a root canal. Great. 2 words I never wanted to hear applied to me. I've never had a toothache before tho and this was pretty bad so I made the appointment. I show up for my root canal and tell him, "I think we got the wrong tooth. Number 18 seems to have pulled ahead of 19 and I think we need to reevaluate.".

So we tapped on the 2 teeth, poked at my gums and put cold q tips against them to try and figure it out. I couldn't say with any certainty which hurt worse, but he said he's 75% sure it's number 19. Well 75% isn't good enough for me so I backed out and rescheduled to see if one tooth pulled ahead of the other. Fast forward 2 weeks and I notice a bump on my gum right behind my last tooth. That bump turned into an open sore. I went back to the dentist today and just got back.

There was a bone fragment that he guessed was left over after I had my wisdom teeth out 30 some years ago and it finally worked it's way out. He picked at it and was able to flick it out with one of his tools. Instant relief! It was hurting so bad. I had pain in my neck, jaw, glands and a headache from this crap! Hot and cold sensitivity, had to chew on one side of my mouth... It went on for 3 or 4 weeks! It was awful.

Needless to say, I did not need a root canal and I sure am glad I stuck to my guns on that one!
I feel your pain, as Billy Clinton was wont to say.

I had an abscess tooth once when I was 24. The worst pain I've ever had in my life. I was literally crying. And I've been gutted by surgeons on numerous occasions, broken shoulder, etc. and it didn't even come close to that pain level. Hope you're better.

cornemuse

cornemuse

Junior Audioholic
This gonna sound weird, but try it.
Whichever side of mouth tooth hurts, between that side on back of your hand, between thumb & 1st finger, put your fingers on thumb pad (palm side) & then gently run the area !!! with your thumb, round & back n forth. Chinese accupressure, it works, , , ,
For me & people I've told it to, , , ,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's just the generation. ;)
While I'm not shy about recreational experimentation....when it comes to the dentists' hands in there they either better numb me up real good or use one of those blocks to force it open....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis