I dont get it, How can my crappy STR-DB940 sound louder than my Yam 1500?

B

beowolf36

Enthusiast
will buying more sensitive speakers (-92db or higher) help?

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

beowolf36 said:
i guess what bothers me is that it feels weak for a receiver to have to be cranked so high to give a good throaty sound. Is this typical for Yamaha receivers. Are there any good receivers that can give good volume at the -40 to -50db range?
I listen to my pioneer elite at -15 to -5db when I want it really loud. Don't get stuck on what the display says. I don't think I have seen one that does what your asking.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
beowolf36 said:
will buying more sensitive speakers (-92db or higher) help?

There is nothing to help. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your receiver. The volume control is just different than your older receiver.

Here's another example. If you had a 1 inch diameter knob you may have to turn it one full turn around 3 times to get to say -15db. Now if you put a 3 inch diameter knob on your receiver, you would only have to turn it 1 time to get to -15db. Your still getting to the same volume, you just "physically" had to turn the knob more or less.

Your volume knob on the Yamaha is just calibrated differently than your old receiver. There is nothing wrong with this and there is no ill effect what so ever. Quit worrying about it and enjoy. Your receiver is not weak.

Shinerman.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
PENG said:
Denon, Yamaha, and Harman Kardon all seem to give around 75 dB of sound pressure level at 12 to 15 feet from the speakers, with the volume control at "0" dB.
My 3805 pushed over 100 db at 13 feet at "0". My older HK was similar. I only did it for a couple of seconds. I adjusted each channel to 75 db as recommended on this site and my receiver was in the high 20's. Not sure where you get your readings from. Most Denon's, Yamaha's, and HK that I've heard are almost too loud to listen to at "0".

B

beowolf36

Enthusiast
I understand. It just takes getting use to. I was just use to judging a receivers power by how many turns it takes to get a particular volume level. I know I still need some better speakers though....

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
Redman92 said:
I cranked my Yamaha 1500 to 0 db and it shut down after about 1 minute. I restarted it a couple of minutes later and it was fine. I suppose I have found its limit.
You are braver than I am. I cranked my 750 real hard after I had it 3 days and it burned up. The protective circuitry didn't work. So I am a little more timid with my 1500. I am curious what speakers you had hooked up when it shut down at 0 after a minute?

R

Redman92

Audiophyte
Larry, I use Infinity Alpha 20s all 7 channels with an Infinity sub. I plan on getting better fronts in future , but I already had these. I will NOT play it even close to that level again.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
alot of people think that unless that you hear audible distortion that its not loud enough. i always warn my friends that my system will play at dangerous levels without distortion and they could damage their ears unaware of how loud that it really is.
with that said your system is probably louder than you think minus this distortion
just my 2 cents
aaron

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Duffinator said:
My 3805 pushed over 100 db at 13 feet at "0". My older HK was similar. I only did it for a couple of seconds. I adjusted each channel to 75 db as recommended on this site and my receiver was in the high 20's. Not sure where you get your readings from. Most Denon's, Yamaha's, and HK that I've heard are almost too loud to listen to at "0".
I got my readings right in my room dim 12X18X8, 13 ft from the front speakers, using the 3805's internal test tone and a Radio Shack sound level meter model #33-2055. I typically listen to music at around -20 dB and it is loud enough for me. If you can get over 100 dB at 13 ft, your 3805 is more powerful than mine. I don't understand........Actually, I get similar results when I use the pre-outs to drive my 2 channel power amplifiers.

Duffinator

Duffinator

PENG said:
I got my readings right in my room dim 12X18X8, 13 ft from the front speakers, using the 3805's internal test tone and a Radio Shack sound level meter model #33-2055. I typically listen to music at around -20 dB and it is loud enough for me. If you can get over 100 dB at 13 ft, your 3805 is more powerful than mine. I don't understand........Actually, I get similar results when I use the pre-outs to drive my 2 channel power amplifiers.
Your statement doesn't jive with 75 db's. If it's loud at -20 it's probably louder than 75 db.

Like I said in my previous post, most receivers are so loud at "0" you can't listen to them comfortably. BTW, my reading was listening to the Led Zeppelin DVD from two years ago playing Communication Breakdown in DTS with the same Radio Shack SPL meter. It's a VERY LOUD DVD.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Duffinator said:
BTW, my reading was listening to the Led Zeppelin DVD from two years ago playing Communication Breakdown in DTS with the same Radio Shack SPL meter. It's a VERY LOUD DVD.
Duffinator, I can now think of the following reasons why your reading don't jive with mine, even though we have the same Denon and RS equipment:

1. I placed the meter at more like 14 to 15 ft (though I have the delay set at 13), yours 12 ft.
2. I am not sure what you speaker's sensivity is, my Energy speakers are not very efficient. I remember when I A-B them (V2.3i) in the dealer place with the Energy C-9, I had to turn their ARCAM AVR300 volume up by 6dB in order to hear roughly the same "loudness".
3. This may be the main reason, your readings were obtained while playing a loud DVD. I obtain mine using the receiver's internal pink noise generator. I once played the first explosion scene of the "Attack of the clones" just to test my subwoofer. I cannot remember where I had my volume set at, but it was no where near "0", probably around -15 dB. My RS meter registered something like 110 dB. So it is possible that if I played that same Zeppelin DVD I would get 100 dB too with the volume at -20.

Thank you for telling me how you obtained your reading. I am very happy with the sound of the 3805. To me all those talk about ARCAM and NAD's warm sound are subjective. I listened to the ARCAM AVR300 more than once and for extended period of time. I did not find it sounding any different than my Denon (and yes, with the same speakers). I tried hooking up the pre-outs to my two power amplifiers (2-channel) and heard very little difference through my V2.3i front speakers. The 3805's amplifier section are surprisingly good for a receiver.

How do you like yours?

Duffinator

Duffinator

PENG said:
. I cannot remember where I had my volume set at, but it was no where near "0", probably around -15 dB. My RS meter registered something like 110 dB. So it is possible that if I played that same Zeppelin DVD I would get 100 dB too with the volume at -20.

Thank you for telling me how you obtained your reading. I am very happy with the sound of the 3805. The 3805's amplifier section are surprisingly good for a receiver.

How do you like yours?
Your readings above seem more reasonable.

I'm very pleased with the 3805. I upgraded from a 6 year old HK AVR85. It had plenty of power but was lacking the bells and whistles, indluding DTS, that I now need. I didn't expect much of a difference in sound and there isn't. While the HK was rated at 85 watts and the Denon at 120, HK rates their power differently. The Denon has a slightly more detailed sound and is just a touch louder at the same volume levels on the receivers.

I just completed bi-amping the 3805 with my Mirage 595is speakers in a 5.1 setup. Unfortunately there is not much of a difference other than being slightly lounder. I'll play with it some more but will probably not use the bi-amping capability after I'm finished.

Overall I'm very impressed with the build and sound quality of my first Denon product. It's easy to setup as long as you don't need to depend on the manual. My one complaint is the remote. I think it's a POS. It may look cool but I'd rather have tactile buttons and wonder if the remote from the 2805 would work. I recently received my replacement remote and at least it's working. I almost asked Denon if they would send me the remote for the 2805 but if I ever sell the receiver the buyer will probably want the original remote. I use a Marantz universal remote anyway. My next purchase...a Denon DVD 2910.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Duffinator said:
Your readings above seem more reasonable.

I upgraded from a 6 year old HK AVR85. It had plenty of power but was lacking the bells and whistles, indluding DTS, that I now need. I didn't expect much of a difference in sound and there isn't.
So the Denon is just as "warm" as the HK, right? I had to replace my remote once too, but the new one is still the same RC-969. I have the 3910 but I always wonder if that Denon link is worth the premium over the 2910.

Duffinator

Duffinator

PENG said:
So the Denon is just as "warm" as the HK, right? I had to replace my remote once too, but the new one is still the same RC-969. I have the 3910 but I always wonder if that Denon link is worth the premium over the 2910.
It's not quite as warm but close. I thought they were replacing the 969 with a 970 model. But the front is just a different color, black to blue. The Denon link is cool but I'm having a hard time justifying double the price of the 2910 to get it. My HDTV does not have DVI or HDMI connections so I won't even be able to take advantage of the upconversion. The main reason for me upgrading is the DVD-A and SACD.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis