I can't decide what to do for Pre-Pro/Receiver. SWAY ME!

B

branchman5000

Enthusiast
Here is my dilemma. I have my speakers picked out after some demo sessions as well as a screen and projector for my theater that will be for movies and lots of sports. The problem is that I can't even come close to deciding the route I should take with regards to sound processing and power. I've been looking at EMOTIVA UMC-200 vs. EMOTIVA XMC-1 vs. McIntosh MHT-200 vs. Marantz AV7005. I'd like to keep my budget within reason. Eventually I'd like to have a full McIntosh setup but not ready to shell out $20K just yet for a more entry level home theater. I'm looking for the best AV processing. I'm willing to spend around $3-5K on a receiver or preamp and amplification.

HT - 5.1
LR: B&W CM8
C: B&W CM CENTRE 2
SURROUNDS: B&W DS3

PROJECTOR: SONY VPL-HW50ES
SCREEN: CARADA CRITERION 110"-120"

B

branchman5000

Enthusiast
Also 3-D will be important to this home theater.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
XMC-1 will probably not be out until late July possibly August when I spoke to the Dan at the Emotiva Road Show in Naperville, there is no announced date as of yet as they want to make sure the launch goes as smooth as possible.

Marantz - AV7005 is the older model, newer is AV7701 - Two of the main differences are 4k Pass Through / Audessy XT32 (Big Upgrade)

Emotiva UMC-200 - XLR(sub only) and only HDMI video inputs if that's an issue (I am looking at this unit for my bedroom)

McIntosh MHT-200 - No HDMI or 3D support if I am not mistaken. I understand you want to move to McIntosh, but I would wait until you get the unit you want.

How big is your Home Theater Room? That may have an impact on which way to go as well.

I will wait for AcuDefTechGuy to tell you to go with Denon and ATI :D

Last edited:
B

branchman5000

Enthusiast
The room is a rectangular shape. The house hasn't been built yet, foundation being poured this week. The room is approximately 20' X 15'.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
XMC-1 will probably not be out until late July possibly August when I spoke to the Dan at the Emotiva Road Show in Naperville, there is no announced date as of yet as they want to make sure the launch goes as smooth as possible.

Marantz - AV7005 is the older model, newer is AV7701 - Two of the main differences are 4k Pass Through / Audessy XT32 (Big Upgrade)

Emotiva UMC-200 - XLR(sub only) and only HDMI video inputs if that's an issue (I am looking at this unit for my bedroom)

McIntosh MHT-200 - No HDMI or 3D support if I am not mistaken. I understand you want to move to McIntosh, but I would wait until you get the unit you want.

How big is your Home Theater Room? That may have an impact on which way to go as well.

I will wait for AcuDefTechGuy to tell you to go with Denon and ATI :D
I do like Denon and ATI. :)

But if he likes McIntosh, then I say just buy McIntosh. ;)

But I would also say that amps, preamps, players don't make that big of an impact compared to speakers and room acoustic, so I would not spend $20K on CD players, amps, preamps, and $5K on speakers like some people do. :eek:

The MC will sound just like Marantz, EMO, DENON, Yamaha, Pioneer, HK, ONKYO, Sony, etc, in Direct mode (bypass RC/DSP/EQ).

But, hey, if MC turns you on, then save up for MC.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think ADTG should be listened to, if you want to spend money on things that are most important to sound quality and features. I am willing to bet most people will be embarrassed in even simple single blind tests. For prepros, go with features you need/want, and in a 20X15 room Denon AVR-4311 (4 ohm capable) will be a good entry level choice that has plenty of power on hand for your speakers.

J

JonnyFive23517

Audioholic
The Denon 4311 CI at $1600 with Audyssey XT32 and a fairly decent power section is a good contender. With leftover funds he could pick up an XPA-2 for the L/R or XPA-3 for the L/C/R. So a good question would be whether the OP feels he needs room correction or not?

I'm pretty subwoofer-centric, so I would also consider looking at a second subwoofer. Once again, the Denon 4311 CI has independent dual sub management and combined with the resolution of the XT32 would probably give great low-end results. So my proposal is Denon 4311 CI + Emotiva power amp + another subwoofer would put the OP happily on the low end of the $3k-$5k range.

All of this assuming the OP wants room correction. If not, I've heard good thing about the Emotiva pre's and I've been pleased with my XPA-5 from them. I don't have any experience with the McIntosh processors and so can't comment.

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
I do like Denon and ATI. :)

But if he likes McIntosh, then I say just buy McIntosh. ;)

But I would also say that amps, preamps, players don't make that big of an impact compared to speakers and room acoustic, so I would not spend $20K on CD players, amps, preamps, and $5K on speakers like some people do. :eek:

The MC will sound just like Marantz, EMO, DENON, Yamaha, Pioneer, HK, ONKYO, Sony, etc, in Direct mode (bypass RC/DSP/EQ).

But, hey, if MC turns you on, then save up for MC.
At the very least, spend the same amount on speakers as the gear. Back when we had stereo only a general rule was 50/50.
Of coarse, now with more gear, means spending more bucks. And as Acu says, too many wimp out on the speakers, which are the most important pieces.
Unless one gets a really huge discount on a speaker purchase or builds his own, speakers should be the biggest single cost.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis