I am looking to set up my home surround sound system with 9.1 in ceiling speakers and 9.1 outdoor speakers

N

newtothis1

Audiophyte
I am beginning to plan out the set up of my home's surround sound system and know very little about it. I would like to have a 9.1 inside (ceiling speakers) and 9.1 outside (wall mounted and satellite speakers) and would like to have it all under ONE RECEIVER if possible. I heard that there may be a way to increase the number of channels on my receiver through amplifiers and would like to know how I would go about doing that. If I can't have it all under one receiver, please let me know what you think the best way to go about this would be. Thank you.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Please only post in one section with the same question. I am deleting the other threads. Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am beginning to plan out the set up of my home's surround sound system and know very little about it. I would like to have a 9.1 inside (ceiling speakers) and 9.1 outside (wall mounted and satellite speakers) and would like to have it all under ONE RECEIVER if possible. I heard that there may be a way to increase the number of channels on my receiver through amplifiers and would like to know how I would go about doing that. If I can't have it all under one receiver, please let me know what you think the best way to go about this would be. Thank you.
First of all you can't set up a 9.1 set up with ceiling speakers, and setting up a outside 9.1 system is just a waste of time and money. When you sort yourself out, please come back with an achievable plan.

N

newtothis1

Audiophyte
First of all you can't set up a 9.1 set up with ceiling speakers, and setting up a outside 9.1 system is just a waste of time and money. When you sort yourself out, please come back with an achievable plan.
Ok I clearly know very little about this, can you tell me why this is unachievable or give me some kind of other plan?

I want to have a quality audio system inside throughout my house as well as in the backyard through wall mounted and satellite speakers. Money aside, how would I go about achieving this while connecting all of them under 1 receiver?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally am not a fan of in-ceiling (except for intentional overhead speakers for Atmos etc), why do you want to do that? What kind of seating/area would be conducive to this?

While some avrs have multiple zones, they're generally just 2ch. There are some avrs with a second hdmi out, but you'd still need another avr/tv setup to use it afaik for multich audio, and personally can't see any advantage to using the signal from the first avr particularly....

Whole home distribution might be done with one avr as the source so to speak, using zone features with some additional amps/distribution gear for 2ch audio in various rooms. Generally all wired. Some wireless solutions with such as Denon/Marantz HEOS systems.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Trinnov could possible do the job with there Altitude 16 or Altitude 32 channel Pre-amp combined with Amplitude 16 power amp.. If cost is not a problem But there's not a single unit on the planet that will do what you want, regardless of make or cost.

You've not gone into any details about the source or your music, CD, Streaming etc. So any comments are simple a stab in the dark, with regard to what your final outcome will be.
This will give you a rough idea of what Trinnov is capable of https://www.trinnov.com/ or this https://www.selby.com.au/brands/trinnov.html

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
You’re probably better off buying 2 different processors or receivers and running 2 independent complete systems.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ok I clearly know very little about this, can you tell me why this is unachievable or give me some kind of other plan?

I want to have a quality audio system inside throughout my house as well as in the backyard through wall mounted and satellite speakers. Money aside, how would I go about achieving this while connecting all of them under 1 receiver?
Ceiling speakers in multichannel systems are for the Atmos height channels ONLY. Dolby specs for home audio allow for one, two or three pairs. For most rooms four tends to be best. So you have front height left and right, and rear height front and left. Dolby specs say that the heights should be in line with the left and right fronts, and the rear heights between the surrounds and rear backs.

So in a 9.1 system you would have front left and right speakers (not in the ceiling) and left and right surrounds, and left and right rear backs, again, NOT in the ceiling. There would be two ceiling speakers, although four is strongly recommended. The 0.1 is the sub, although two is generally better, so that would be 7.2.4 which is optimal is most suitable domestic spaces. I should point out that a lot of domestic spaces are not suitable for surround multichannel audio.

An outside systems surround systems make no sense, as there are no acoustic boundaries. If no TV, then a right and left speakers and a sub is best. If you have a TV outdoors, which is not recommended, then three fronts and a sub. The TV needs an outdoor rating and they are far and few between. Also, if you do have an outside system, then you need speaker drivers with an outside rating. So those installations are difficult, and cause friction with neighbors. I personally think they are a bad idea. If one of my neighbors installed one, I would be furious.

The other use for ceiling speakers is for background music, and they are usually powered mono. They also give your home the ambience of a shopping mall, if that is what you want.

N

newtothis1

Audiophyte
Thank you so much, that was very helpful.

In regards to the outside system I’m not looking for bona fide surround sound because that’s impossible. The idea is to have a below ground sub, 4-5 wall mounted and then potentially 4-5 satellites (fake rocks or ones that you can stick in the ground, open to ideas) so with that comes a few questions:

does this make logistical sense?

what kind of receiver would I need to power this?

would I be able to connect the inside and outside under one receiver (again cost aside) or is the only way to do it with two separate receivers?

If I do need to use 2 separate receivers, would I be able to connect the two via Bluetooth or some other connection method so that i can control them simultaneously

thank you again, your response was very insightful

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you so much, that was very helpful.

In regards to the outside system I’m not looking for bona fide surround sound because that’s impossible. The idea is to have a below ground sub, 4-5 wall mounted and then potentially 4-5 satellites (fake rocks or ones that you can stick in the ground, open to ideas) so with that comes a few questions:

does this make logistical sense?

what kind of receiver would I need to power this?

would I be able to connect the inside and outside under one receiver (again cost aside) or is the only way to do it with two separate receivers?

If I do need to use 2 separate receivers, would I be able to connect the two via Bluetooth or some other connection method so that i can control them simultaneously

thank you again, your response was very insightful
Lets take the outside system first. A receiver is not the right device to power that system, at least not by itself. That would ask a receiver to be used in multichannel stereo mode. That is calculated to cause receiver failure. Receivers are actually pretty frail devices, not at all tolerant of rough or continuous service like that system would envision. You did not mention a TV and essentially a receiver has to be connected to a TV. So you need two separate systems.

The outside needs a distribution amplifier, driven by what ever front end is best to for providing the media you intend to play though it.

As far as the inside, we have no idea of the space, but a receiver, TV and speakers placed to Dolby specs would do the job, unless it is an unusually large space and you want to drive it hard for "party time". Then you would need a pre/pro and external amps, or a receiver with pre outs and external amps.

Designing a sound system is not a simple or trivial matter. It is not possible to give you definitive advice without detailed plans and pictures of the space, and how you intend to use the system.

These seem like ambitious plans for a total novice. So you need to take a step back and really understand what is involved, or seek professional advice, and that is not sales person at Best Buy.

N

newtothis1

Audiophyte
Yea I am looking into the different approaches as to how I will be making this plan a reality and I understand the complex and difficult nature of building a surround sound system, I am just trying to gather as much information as I can before hiring a professional. With that being said, for the outside system I found the below amplifier and speakers I just want your opinion on whether you think that would be enough, to give you an idea I am trying to get sound across a 120x60 ft back yard with speakers mounted on the house. It doesn't have to be perfect sound 50 feet out its more so for the pool and balcony areas.

Amp - https://a.co/d/64H8Ve8
Speakers - https://a.co/d/3QDPBHu

I would get 6 speakers and space them out evenly along the roof line.

In regards to the amp, would it work, and where would I connect it to in order to actually be able to use it, since it is going to be a system that is completely independent of the 7.(2 or 1).4 receiver that will be set up inside.

Thanks again.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yea I am looking into the different approaches as to how I will be making this plan a reality and I understand the complex and difficult nature of building a surround sound system, I am just trying to gather as much information as I can before hiring a professional. With that being said, for the outside system I found the below amplifier and speakers I just want your opinion on whether you think that would be enough, to give you an idea I am trying to get sound across a 120x60 ft back yard with speakers mounted on the house. It doesn't have to be perfect sound 50 feet out its more so for the pool and balcony areas.

Amp - https://a.co/d/64H8Ve8
Speakers - https://a.co/d/3QDPBHu

I would get 6 speakers and space them out evenly along the roof line.

In regards to the amp, would it work, and where would I connect it to in order to actually be able to use it, since it is going to be a system that is completely independent of the 7.(2 or 1).4 receiver that will be set up inside.

Thanks again.
Actually, I have thought all along that your outside system is ripe for a Sonos system. For distributed home audio, I think that is fast becoming the GO TO system.
One of my sons has a Sonos system in his house and is pleased with it.

I guess your speaker question begs the question, how high above ground is your roof line? If it is two story above ground I would not put any speakers at the roof line. If it is single story then I think enough of those speakers would work well. You need to remember that sound intensity goes down as the square of the distance from the listener, it is NOT a linear relationship.

Your idea of an under ground sub really bother me. I think sinking it in the ground is asking for it to get damaged by weather, even if there is a lean to roof over it. I really would encourage you to forget about that. In addition subs are powered, and I think the builder inspector take a very dim view of that design.
You would have to research a sub approved for outdoor use, and see if any exist.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Paradigm has the Garden Oasis speaker system. Specifically made (with a subwoofer) for outdoor garden spaces. I'm sure other manufacturers have them as well TS.

I don't own them, nor have I heard them in use.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Paradigm has the Garden Oasis speaker system. Specifically made (with a subwoofer) for outdoor garden spaces. I'm sure other manufacturers have them as well TS.

I don't own them, nor have I heard them in use.
That is very expensive. The sub is passive, as I think you would expect and they list a matching Crown amp to power it.

The sub looks like the air intake and cleaner off a vintage tractor!

1958 JD 420 we had at our lake home, along with JD model A.

N

newtothis1

Audiophyte
Actually, I have thought all along that your outside system is ripe for a Sonos system. For distributed home audio, I think that is fast becoming the GO TO system.
One of my sons has a Sonos system in his house and is pleased with it.

I guess your speaker question begs the question, how high above ground is your roof line? If it is two story above ground I would not put any speakers at the roof line. If it is single story then I think enough of those speakers would work well. You need to remember that sound intensity goes down as the square of the distance from the listener, it is NOT a linear relationship.

Your idea of an under ground sub really bother me. I think sinking it in the ground is asking for it to get damaged by weather, even if there is a lean to roof over it. I really would encourage you to forget about that. In addition subs are powered, and I think the builder inspector take a very dim view of that design.
You would have to research a sub approved for outdoor use, and see if any exist.
Got ya, so let’s scratch that underground sub idea, I live in a two story and would plan on putting it on the roof line of the first story (or slightly below). Would I be able to achieve that with the amp and the speakers that I linked in my previous post?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Got ya, so let’s scratch that underground sub idea, I live in a two story and would plan on putting it on the roof line of the first story (or slightly below). Would I be able to achieve that with the amp and the speakers that I linked in my previous post?
Yes, I think you would and it would be appropriately powered for that situation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For the outside system I think subs just are going to be marginally effective, and mostly just useful if close to them. Let alone burying them in the ground and everything from a hooded port....never tried, tho. I have a wireless sub I can bring out on my deck when I want a bit more bass (transmitter on an avr that has the deck speakers on a zone 2) and when weather's not a concern at the moment :).

Just what kind of content do you want to play when outside (audio or also video), how would you like to control it? Do you want it to play simultaneously with what you might be playing indoors?

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Ill mention about the inside speakers.

Stop right now. And learn about speaker placements and where to place them.

Ceiling speakers are to be used for Dolby atmos and dts x.

Read this document and decide what setup you want.

I'll encourage and recommend 5.1.4 which has 9 speakers total.
5 base layer speakers and 4 ceiling speakers.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis