I am hooking up a external amp for the first time, need some help

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
I am hookingbexternal amp.up, but hear no audible difference from connecting and disconnecting

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
There might not be, just probably more power.
You have speakers hooked up to the new external amp right, not the AVR still?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
There might not be, just probably more power.
You have speakers hooked up to the new external amp right, not the AVR still?

Yes they are connected to the amp sir

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The external amp may have the capability to get a bit louder....keep in mind a doubling of power is only a 3dB spl increase.....external amp being of identical level to avr without calibration would be a bit unusual, but not impossible. External amps and their affect on sound quality is mostly myth.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I was expecting it to be louder, is this wrong to assume
It can play louder if more powerful but with a calibrated system -10dB is -10dB but you might get a cleaner sound for longer when increasing the volume so you might be able to go to 0 instead of -3dB for example before it starts to sound stressed. (This is assuming the speakers arent the limiting factor)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Speaker sensitivity in part determines how loud your amp/receiver will drive your speakers

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
It can play louder if more powerful but with a calibrated system -10dB is -10dB but you might get a cleaner sound for longer when increasing the volume so you might be able to go to 0 instead of -3dB for example before it starts to sound stressed. (This is assuming the speakers arent the limiting factor)

My speakers are klipsch reference premiere 280, the parasound 1203a amp, onkyo tx nr807 is all the equipment involved

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
The external amp may have the capability to get a bit louder....keep in mind a doubling of power is only a 3dB spl increase.....external amp being of identical level to avr without calibration would be a bit unusual, but not impossible. External amps and their affect on sound quality is mostly myth.
Avr is onkyo tx nr807, amp is parasound 1203a

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The difference in power between your external amp and your avr in this case is very little....less than 1dB.

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
Thank you. So is there any benefits to me having this amp at all

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, it could reduce load on your avr....but you have relatively sensitive speakers to start, so little advantage one way or the other. While I have added power amps to avrs, most of mine are fine without....and the one I have power amps hooked up to was just because I had some extra amps sitting around to play with :) Not needed, tho it does add some headroom when I crank it hard, but I generally don't do that anymore...being nicer to my ears these days.

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
Well, it could reduce load on your avr....but you have relatively sensitive speakers to start, so little advantage one way or the other. While I have added power amps to avrs, most of mine are fine without....and the one I have power amps hooked up to was just because I had some extra amps sitting around to play with :) Not needed, tho it does add some headroom when I crank it hard, but I generally don't do that anymore...being nicer to my ears these days.
Eventually I would like to get a 4k receiver, would this amp be beneficial at that point, because I do want a amp with real dual sub outputs. So do these new amps have same output

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
My speakers are klipsch reference premiere 280, the parasound 1203a amp, onkyo tx nr807 is all the equipment involved
The Klipsch Ref 280 are 8 ohms, the Parasound 1203a offers 140W into 8 ohms while the Onkyo TX NR807 offers 135W per channel. According to my calculations the system will provide 108dB at the listening position. That's plenty for any situation.

It's likely the Parasound will offer cleaner power and help reduce stress on the receiver. Most likely it will not play significantly louder but offer other benefits.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Eventually I would like to get a 4k receiver, would this amp be beneficial at that point, because I do want a amp with real dual sub outputs. So do these new amps have same output
It's just an amp, whether you need one wouldn't matter really what the avr video feature set is (as long as it has pre-outs to use an external amp to begin with of course). Most avrs aren't very different from each other power-wise.

Keep in mind "real" dual sub pre-outs will generally only be separately adjustable level and delay, otherwise most ".2" avrs merely have an internal splitter.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
You could use the Parasound with the Denon 3600 now on sale for $799 here:

It offers dual subwoofers and a lot of other features. This deal will fade in a few days. I have had a slow warranty service experience with Denon but these are new units and should offer the feature you want at a reasonable price.

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
The Klipsch Ref 280 are 8 ohms, the Parasound 1203a offers 140W into 8 ohms while the Onkyo TX NR807 offers 135W per channel. According to my calculations the system will provide 108dB at the listening position. That's plenty for any situation.

It's likely the Parasound will offer cleaner power and help reduce stress on the receiver. Most likely it will not play significantly louder but offer other benefits.
Once i upgrade reciever I'm noticing most avrs in my range are only 105 watts pc

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis