I-35W highway bridge over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis collapsed.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It looked to me as though the reports of the school bus are inaccurate at best, unless I'm not seeing something. The school bus is on the far side of the collapse and it looks intact. I recall a head count of the children on board being listed as well.

Mark
Yes, but even that part of the bridge still fell from higher above, no seat belts in the bus most likely so the kids became missiles inside that bus.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
I never knew about the anti ise system.

But yess someones head will roll

After I got offline right before my shower I felt my hands all shakey and I drank a huge gatoraid. I was fine about it all untill I got home and though about what if I had braught my girlfriend out a hair earlier.

I don't have a terrorist to blame, no natural disaster, just some bad math... It felt like a black blanket fell on the city this morning.

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Seriously though, a few observations:

• At 40 years old the bridge is nowhere near the end of its intended design life, which is likely to be around 120 years.
  • Nose-to-tail traffic on its own wasn't the cause of the failure because, apart from the fact that it's almost certainly been subject to nose-to-tail traffic previously, the bridge would've been designed against this. Besides, the design load case would assume considerably heavier nose-to-tail vehicles that that of cars that probably made up the bulk of the traffic at the time of collapse.
  • We're told that the bridge was last inspected during 2006. What type of inspection? Unless it was a principal inspection whereby every component of the bridge is assessed individually then the statement has little value.
  • The bridge would've been designed against a fatigue type failure. Besides, fatigue is a Serviceability Limit State, meaning that failure occurs under everyday stress, and not an Ultimate Limit State where the bridge is on the brink of global collapse.
  • Assuming appropriate checks were carried out prior to commencement the maintainance work would not cause collapse of the bridge.

So if the above is true why did the bridge collapse? It's too early to say. It does however initially appear that a small event led to failure of one of the bridge's truss elements and global, or disproportionate collapse of the bridge ensued.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
The meister has spoken. Very good.

Thinking back to my structural engineering courses:
1) Although a well-designed truss is very strong, if any single component of the truss is weakened (such as rust) or fatiqued (cracked plate or bolt due to overloading), the truss becomes more prone to failure.
2) And although the load on this bridge was not heavy (thankfully) at the time of its' catastrophic failure, the loads that I-35W have experienced in the past couple of decades are certainly beyond the scope for which it was initially designed.

The latter is true for most older bridges in America though, and through no fault of the engineering. Many advances and comforts of the modern age have contributed to this additionally loading:
1) Rather than having an average 1 car per family as we did in the '60's when this bridge was designed, we now have an average 2.5;
2) Rather than walking to the grocery store, school, church, etc. as we commonly did in the '60's, we now drive almost everywhere, and often; and,
3) Trailer loads have increased with more hp and suspensions.

There are scores of other variables that contribute to additional loading. Sometimes understanding these things helps us cope with the catastrophy...

I didn't realize that you were a p.e. Meister...that changes everything. You're the man!

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Although a well-designed truss is very strong, if any single component of the truss is weakened (such as rust) or fatiqued (cracked plate or bolt due to overloading), the truss becomes more prone to failure.
This is true for any structure. :D The trick is to design in redundancy so that should an element fail, the structure as a whole will not.

...although the load on this bridge was not heavy (thankfully) at the time of its' catastrophic failure, the loads that I-35W have experienced in the past couple of decades are certainly beyond the scope for which it was initially designed.
It's true that road bridges are today more frequently crossed by heavier loads than they were originally designed to carry. However, in principle, and certainly with the I-35W, the bridge would've been assessed to ensure it could carry loading of the day, including the present.

I didn't realize that you were a p.e.
P.E(ngineer)?

...that changes everything. You're the man!
You mean you didn't already think so? :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
1. Yes. Professional Engineer.

2. And of course I did. This fact just sets the truth in stone even moreso.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmmm. What I am, and for that matter, what i am not is a deeply contentious issue in this neck of the woods. In fact, I am so struck by the intense metaphysical nature of your point, that I must again reflect upon my being...my very existence.

Seriously though, no, I am not an engineer, and I did not become one for "whatever reason.";) That's what it is about you: a logical, methodical approach. Critical thinking is becoming an oft lost/never mastered art in this society.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Dear lord. :( This has to be some flaw in the structural engineering, of the bridge to give, some kind of fluke that is so unprepared for such a tragic event.:(

I’m sure there will be inquiry hearing into the cause of this months of investigation to unravel, what caused the bridge to suddenly give.

Does the bridge have a weight limit as to what traffic can pass over the bridge?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis