I’d like to add an amp, but don’t know if I really need one...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for all the replies. To answer some of you, I have Axiom speakers. I’ve been happy with them for many years and didn’t bother mentioning the brand due to the negative air surrounding them on this site in the past.

As for the Monolith or Outlaw amps, I’m certain I wouldn’t be able to use them without running a dedicated 20 amp line—something that would require far to much work than I’m willing to do. Thanks to Peng’s link to the bench test of the 4520–I was looking for one, but somehow didn’t see that myself—my belief that that AVR was plenty powerful while running 7 channels seems to be accurate. I have it in my head that I want no less than 100 Watts per 7 channels driven. The amp, though, is not really for this AVR. I’d like to buy a new model and have found that few today still offer the power of the 4520. Seems to me more these days are in the 115 to 125 Watt range, but that’s with only 2 channels running. Been looking at something like the Marantz SR7013 but suspect it would drop below 100 Watts per channel when running 7 channels, so the 125 Watt 7 channel amp I’ve been considering was a way to buy a non-flagship AVR and still get the minimum power I desire.

Would I like a 200 Watt amp like the Monolith? Sure, but I think even if the power drain on my existing out wasn’t a concern, I don’t really need quite that much power. However, as some have pointed out, the small amount of power I’ve been considering in a 125 Watt amp would probably not be noticeable, so I’m inclined to consider forgoing it in favour of looking at an AVR with more power. The cost of a slightly cheaper AVR and an amp would certainly be higher than something like a Marantz SR8012 or Denon AVR-X6500. But I’m still unsure and probably change my mind tomorrow...
You do have a choice now, the slightly outdated AVR-X7200WA is almost as powerful as the AVR-X4520CI and is now on clearance for only $1,399. https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-X7200WA-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00XIG6LYC

One advantage of this ex flag ship model is that has the pre amplifier mode, and that looks like a real one. The only other D&M AVR that has the pre amplifier mode is the new flag ship AVR-X8500H, the SR8012 does not have this feature.

owner's manual page 64:
1537492249192.png

S&V's 7 channel driven into 8 ohms test measurements:
AVR-4520CI - 108.8 W, 0.1% distortions, 121.7 W, 1% distortions.

AVR-X7200W - 113.7 W, 0.1% distortions, 124 W, 1% distortions.

SR7011 - 75.1 W, 0.1% distortions, 90.4 W, 1% distortions.

The SR7013 is expected to measured similar to the SR7011, 7012 and Denon AVR-X4300H, X4400H, X4500H.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Been looking at something like the Marantz SR7013 but suspect it would drop below 100 Watts per channel when running 7 channels, so the 125 Watt 7 channel amp I’ve been considering was a way to buy a non-flagship AVR and still get the minimum power I desire.
The two channel driven, and to some extent, 5 channel driven outputs are much more important. The 7 channel driven output numbers are not meaningful in practice except for people who has to listen to the so called 7 channel stereo mode at or near reference level sitting far away, like 12 feet or more.

I would take the power output capability of a Yamaha RX-A3000 series AVR (very good 2 channel driven output, below average 7 channel driven output) over that of a 125 WX7 power amp any day.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis