Huge man cave being built

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've looking at the monoprice equipment and I'm surprised that your naming some of there equipment
There's more than one line, some very inexpensive yet serviceable stuff, but the Monolith line like Dan says is the way to go with them.

Got any DIY skills/desire to make your $ go further? Can do very well with speakers/subs that way....

B

bguinther85

Enthusiast
There's more than one line, some very inexpensive yet serviceable stuff, but the Monolith line like Dan says is the way to go with them.

Got any DIY skills/desire to make your $ go further? Can do very well with speakers/subs that way....
I got on monoprice and I was looking at there monolith line speakers I seen all there in wall speakers were sold out I'm curious if you have ever heard them and being there in wall how does the mid bass and bass sound being it is an open back speaker

B

bguinther85

Enthusiast
I got on monoprice and I was looking at there monolith line speakers I seen all there in wall speakers were sold out I'm curious if you have ever heard them and being there in wall how does the mid bass and bass sound being it is an open back speaker
Also yes I was going to do full install myself

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No personal experience with the Monolith gear. I use them for cabling/speaker wire quite a bit but don't need their gear but it's pretty good quality...there are reviews of the subs here on AH:
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/monolith-10201d-12
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/monolith-15201d

The amp:
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/monoprice-monolith-7-channel-amplifier-review

No experience myself, all I know about in wall speakers is that you follow up on the design as specified as to any wall cavity/back box as needed, didn't see that you were going that way specifically.

I was more referring to diy generally as building your own speaker/sub enclosures against proven designs. There are speaker kits of various complexity, from where you assemble/solder the crossover board or buy it built, build your own baffle/box or buy just a baffle or a complete flatpack cnc-cut box to assemble. Subs are more about box size and whether sealed or ported/vented as to what kits are available or how complex it is to build the box but again just following specifics for a given driver and providing an amp for it (I've built my own subs for a while, have built a speaker kit, too).

B

bguinther85

Enthusiast
No personal experience with the Monolith gear. I use them for cabling/speaker wire quite a bit but don't need their gear but it's pretty good quality...there are reviews of the subs here on AH:
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/monolith-10201d-12
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/monolith-15201d

The amp:
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/monoprice-monolith-7-channel-amplifier-review

No experience myself, all I know about in wall speakers is that you follow up on the design as specified as to any wall cavity/back box as needed, didn't see that you were going that way specifically.

I was more referring to diy generally as building your own speaker/sub enclosures against proven designs. There are speaker kits of various complexity, from where you assemble/solder the crossover board or buy it built, build your own baffle/box or buy just a baffle or a complete flatpack cnc-cut box to assemble. Subs are more about box size and whether sealed or ported/vented as to what kits are available or how complex it is to build the box but again just following specifics for a given driver and providing an amp for it (I've built my own subs for a while, have built a speaker kit, too).
Yea I'm really not trying to have to build any type of boxes

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yea I'm really not trying to have to build any type of boxes
Yeah its not for everyone but thought I'd ask. It can be pretty good way to go if you don't mind the labor and can live with your own finishing skills....for that matter, behind an acoustically transparent screen it wouldn't matter if you finished them or not.

B

bguinther85

Enthusiast
Yeah its not for everyone but thought I'd ask. It can be pretty good way to go if you don't mind the labor and can live with your own finishing skills....for that matter, behind an acoustically transparent screen it wouldn't matter if you finished them or not.
Curious what would u do in 40x26 gaming and bar area for audio

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious what would u do in 40x26 gaming and bar area for audio
Don't know, never really had anything like that to consider, your playroom is bigger than my living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom and two bedrooms on my main floor, might even throw in the workshop. But it's all a man cave in my case LOL. Doesn't matter what I'd do, tho unless you're just wanting to hear what I might fantasize with a few minutes thought. Let's see. Already having that separate theater room would be killer, fully soundproofed of course so not to bother others with a nice 7.4.6 system with some sweet electric recliners and a starry ceiling and really cool floor lighting and treated very nicely acoustically. Nice big other room for a bar and kitchenette, pool table and some comfy chairs around a fireplace! I can spend other people's money really fast :) Is there a deck for some grilling ? :) LOL

This more in-wall or in-ceiling type of speakers you want? What would your listening be like for such an area? Dedicated seats for a nice stereo setup to concert levels? Or more a diffuse speaker array for casual listening while playing pool, or games, or sitting with friends at the bar or in some comfy chairs or all of the above? You have an area for tv in this room or will that just be the theater? (when scanning the thread I just skimmed and don't remember if it was mentioned previously).

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
A couple of comments and questions: I would definitely construct the theater as self-contained room. It would save you considerable money -- especially in the subwoofer dept.

What is the ceiling height?

Can you provide a floorplan (including seating) of the self contained room. It can be hand-drawn.

Take a look at Triad. www.triadspeakers.com

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker - all the way up to $15k per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ok budget 4k or true 4k there is a difference and a real 4k projector is going to cost you they are not cheap we are talking 5k or more for a good one not the budget ones
Ok back again a budget on your screen and 4k projector would really help

True 4k projectors like Sony and JVC will run you over 5,000.

So eshift projectors would be best I need to know your budget tho. High quality low quality even a decent screen will run you at least 500. Then add in the projector

Also a projector room should have good light control. So if your not going with a traditional theater room style and not going to be keeping that room dark then a 4k projector will be a waste of your time

The more light the more it affects your projectors image quality.

You'd be better off with a lower cost good budget 1080p at that point

Also do you have a lottoff experience with installing audio or having audio equipment?

Knowing how much you know or don't know will help when we're explaining things to you or why we recommend ceartin products or choices

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis