itschris

itschris

You could just use the SPDIF output of the audio card from the pc to an optical in on the receiver. You would then control the songs via the PC and not the receiver as mentioned by HI HO. Using play-for-sure can be problematic depending on the format of your music. You could just use Media Center via your touch screen and use this for control.
Great info, but now for me it begs the question: Let's say I just screw it and spend the extra cash for the 94 with the Ethernet.. how then is the music controlled through the receiver? Can I still use a touch screen if I want to? thanks again for the good info.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
No the touch screen would only control what is going on with windows. For what I have seen with the play-for-sure controls they are specific to the receiver and would be controled by the OSD of the receiver and not have anything to do with the HTPC except for the source of the file.

itschris

itschris

I was just on Media Centers site and i have to say the software appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. From what I can tell, I could use a touchscreen or output to my TV and use a remote or both. That's slick. I was thinking the HTPC was a wish list kinda thing but I'm giving up the Elite 301 jukebox cd changer. I see no reason to even have such a piece of equipment anymore. I think I can build a really slick HTPC for about $900-$1200 with touchscreen.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Yes $900-1200 should be easy to keep it with especially if it will be for maily audio. Then you will not need to spend extra cash on RAM and video cards that support HD video. I built one with blu-ray and a built in touch screen for under $2000.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I was just on Media Centers site and i have to say the software appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. From what I can tell, I could use a touchscreen or output to my TV and use a remote or both. That's slick. I was thinking the HTPC was a wish list kinda thing but I'm giving up the Elite 301 jukebox cd changer. I see no reason to even have such a piece of equipment anymore. I think I can build a really slick HTPC for about $900-$1200 with touchscreen.
Well if you end up giving it a shot and it works out, let me know what you did.

itschris

itschris

We're about to start the remodel of the living room which includes walling off a useless triple glass door which will now be the wall for the tv and speakers. Once we get everything done and I start putting the stuff together, I'll post up what I've done. The HTPC might be a little bit down the road, but definately done in the next couple of months.

Between the construction and the new TV and speakers and other equipment, we're looking at about 25K already... and that's before the wife starts her room wish list, so the HTPC will be last on the list but I think it'll actually be one of the most valuable additions assuming it works the way I'm hoping it does.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis