darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Anyone know where to get a decent, yet inexpensive HTPC?

I'd like to be able to store music, record HDTV and play DVD's. It would also be nice to have a Blu-ray disc player and be able to decode uncompressed audio, like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA.

Also, would it be able to download HD-DVD's to the hard drive and play them back? I only have a few HD-DVD's, but it would be nice to be able to play them if I wanted to.

Surely someone here knows a tech-head that would enjoy putting a HTPC together for a fellow Audioholic. :D

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
What is your budget? Would you prefer hdmi connection from the video card to the TV? Need a TV tuner? Do you want a full size case to fit on entertainment center or something like a cube? Depending on this I can recommend something for about $500.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I would like HDMI to the TV.

I'm not sure if I need a TV tuner. I'm not sure if I can go from my cable box to the HTPC to record. That's one of the problems, I'm not really sure what it is that I need. I would like to be able to record HDTV to the PC as storage when my cable box DVR gets full. I saw an ad on eBay that said that you could even edit out the commercials. That would be cool too.

I don't really care about the size of the case. Full size would be cool. But small is nice too. Whatever works.

As far as budget, the cheaper the better. I'd definitely like to stay below $1,000.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Hi Darien, to my knowledge there is still no HTPC that can do the uncompressed audio. I had been following several threads on the subject up until a month or so ago. It is a big part of the reason I sold mine off in parts a few months ago. My other issue was that Media center would not play well with blu-ray and it only wanted to work well with ota HD TV and not my directv.

The music worked well and I even used a piece of software called NetRemote that allowed me to use my PDA as a wifi remote and I could control my play lists and video for my multizone system.

The least expensive way to do a HTPC is to build one. The biggest issue is taking the time to make sure all the parts are going to work well together.

If you don't have a wife that is going to give you the business when it has issues then they are a fun project just be prepared to deal with some headaches.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I would like HDMI to the TV.

I'm not sure if I need a TV tuner. I'm not sure if I can go from my cable box to the HTPC to record. That's one of the problems, I'm not really sure what it is that I need. I would like to be able to record HDTV to the PC as storage when my cable box DVR gets full. I saw an ad on eBay that said that you could even edit out the commercials. That would be cool too.

I don't really care about the size of the case. Full size would be cool. But small is nice too. Whatever works.

As far as budget, the cheaper the better. I'd definitely like to stay below $1,000.
Cable box DVR are a pain in the *** to integrate into HTPC for storage as Time Warner is notorious for locking them unlike DirecTV receivers. For extra storage you are better off getting an external e-sata drive to hook up to the DVR. If you have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD or 8300HDC they are plug and play with external e-sata drives as long as they have the latest firmware.

With HD DVR boxes you are very limited on what you can use with the PC. Now do you want to use Windows Media Center or Linux? I am guessing you want what's easiest to integrate and use?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Darien, to my knowledge there is still no HTPC that can do the uncompressed audio. I had been following several threads on the subject up until a month or so ago. It is a big part of the reason I sold mine off in parts a few months ago. My other issue was that Media center would not play well with blu-ray and it only wanted to work well with ota HD TV and not my directv.

The music worked well and I even used a piece of software called NetRemote that allowed me to use my PDA as a wifi remote and I could control my play lists and video for my multizone system.

The least expensive way to do a HTPC is to build one. The biggest issue is taking the time to make sure all the parts are going to work well together.

If you don't have a wife that is going to give you the business when it has issues then they are a fun project just be prepared to deal with some headaches.
He is absolutely right. If you are looking to have a HTPC just for music purposes mostly you are better off with better and cheaper alternatives. For storing of movies it is still a pain to integrate properly in a way that will give you 0 issues. No sound card can do TrueHD, DTS-HD, or Uncompressed PCM unfortunately as it requires HDMI. And I don't see it happening anytime soon until they integrate sound chips into video cards.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Bummer. If they can't do uncompressed audio, I guess it's kinda pointless then. What's the point of having a Blu-ray drive then? Well, I guess you can always just listen to Dolby Digital.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Yep, I use a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD for video and an HTPC for audio only. I am waiting for a cheap HDCP card and a sound card that does True HD before I add that stuff.

Pat

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
So would it just be a matter of swapping out the sound card for uncompressed audio, if they end up coming out with that in the near future?

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
one of the best consumer cards on the market I know of is the ASUS Xonor - $200. DTS and Dolby Digital only. It would be easy to swap it out for something better... if that comes along... but there is little advancement in this area.

Model
Brand ASUS
Model Xonar D2X
Audio core
Audio Chipset ASUS AV200
Channels 7.1
Sample Rate 192KHz
Digital Audio 24-bit
SNR 118dB
Hardware Decode Dolby Digital, DTS
Ports
Line Out Front/Rear/Center/Subwoofer/Rear Center
SPDIF In Coaxial
SPDIF Out Coaxial
MIC In Yes
MIDI/Joystick Yes
CD/Aux In Yes
Spec
Interface PCI Express
Operating Systems Supported Windows Vista/XP(32/64bit)/MCE2005

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I saw an article online that listed all the things you'd need to make a good HTPC and I believe that was the sound card it said to use, ASUS Xonar D2 Sound Card - $200.

itschris

itschris

This thread has totally bummed me out. What's the purpose of copying all my CD's to my computer if I can't play them out through my system uncompressed. I read on a different thread bout using FLAC or something like that to create uncompressed versions of you media. The Elite 94 receiver has an ethernet connection but I'm assuming that's not going to allow me uncompressed playback either as my pc wouldn't be much different than an audio server. I was getting all phyched about building an audio server with the possibility of DVD or DVR capabilities, but now, I don't see the point.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
This thread has totally bummed me out. What's the purpose of copying all my CD's to my computer if I can't play them out through my system uncompressed.
Chris you will be fine for your uncompressed audio files. This discussion is about the new surround uncompressed formats like Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master that are specific to Blu-Ray and HD DVD. Ripping your CD's to FLAC or some other uncompressed format will playblack as intended.

itschris

itschris

Okay... I feel a lot better now. Maybe I'll look into building an audio server with the DVD, HD, and DVR functionality in mind for later upgrade. What software do you recommend for running a server like that. I'd like to have it as a component with my equipment and even have a 14" touch screeen LCD for it. I'm assuming it would just connect via an HDMI or Toslink cable to my pre/pro or receiver, correct? I've been thinking about getting the new Elite 94. It has ethernet capabilities, but I'm not sure if that's even necessary if I have the server wired directly.

On the surface, so much of this seems so easy and conceptualy it all makes sense until you start actually thinking about the true nuts and bolts of how it will all work.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The Elite 94 can play back uncompressed audio files through the ethernet cable. You don't have to have any other cables connected to do that. I have my Yamaha receiver setup that way and it works great. I can navigate my music library from my couch.

itschris

itschris

The Elite 94 can play back uncompressed audio files through the ethernet cable. You don't have to have any other cables connected to do that. I have my Yamaha receiver setup that way and it works great. I can navigate my music library from my couch.
Since I'm going to be using my Sunfire Amps for power, I was thinking about going with the 92 which doesn't have the Ethernet connections. What connection would i then use or do I have to have Ethernet to connect to htpc?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Since I'm going to be using my Sunfire Amps for power, I was thinking about going with the 92 which doesn't have the Ethernet connections. What connection would i then use or do I have to have Ethernet to connect to htpc?
You could just use the SPDIF output of the audio card from the pc to an optical in on the receiver. You would then control the songs via the PC and not the receiver as mentioned by HI HO. Using play-for-sure can be problematic depending on the format of your music. You could just use Media Center via your touch screen and use this for control.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
So would it just be a matter of swapping out the sound card for uncompressed audio, if they end up coming out with that in the near future?
That's my plan. Unless I need a bigger processor for the HD video stuff, but I doubt it.

Pat

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis