HTP-1 vs AVM 70 vs 8805

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
I know there are a lot of threads already but, most of them are out dated and there have been firmware updates etc.. since.
Is there another I should really consider?
Should I even be considering the Marantz 8805 or should I be looking at the 7706?

My planned set up is 7.2.4 dedicated theater room. 4k Projector.
I will be using Ultra BR player, Spectrum, Netflix, Disney+, HTPC running Plex, Spotify...We have both android and I users in house(but I am android so its weighted lol)

Which, sonically, is the best? Which is, once setup, the easiest to use? Do any of them have a huge issue?

Eric

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why would they be particularly different sonically aside from specific dsp utilized? Pick the one with the feature set/price most suited to your needs. I'd think they're all relatively simple to use once setup.

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
For a little background I am not a total newbie. I had an Integra 9.8, Sunfire grand 200, Kef Q 50s front and Q15s rear with a Reference 100 center. Klipsch Powered sub. TV was 80" Visio. I do realize that speakers were not perfectly matched.
That system has been retired as I am selling this house. The system I will be building will be in new house ))

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For a little background I am not a total newbie. I had an Integra 9.8, Sunfire grand 200, Kef Q 50s front and Q15s rear with a Reference 100 center. TV was 80" Visio. I do realize that speakers were not perfectly matched.
That system has been retired as I am selling this house. The system I will be building will be in new house ))
Not sure what that's supposed to demonstrate particularly, but okay. You had a Klipsch sub so your credibility is already at risk.... :) J/K sort of.

So what else is involved with your new system other than choosing an appropriate pre-pro?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know there are a lot of threads already but, most of them are out dated and there have been firmware updates etc.. since.
Is there another I should really consider?
Should I even be considering the Marantz 8805 or should I be looking at the 7706?

My planned set up is 7.2.4 dedicated theater room. 4k Projector.
I will be using Ultra BR player, Spectrum, Netflix, Disney+, HTPC running Plex, Spotify...We have both android and I users in house(but I am android so its weighted lol)

Which, sonically, is the best? Which is, once setup, the easiest to use? Do any of them have a huge issue?

Eric
What are your list of requirements or preferences?

I would look at the Yamaha CX-A5200 pre-pro. Unless you gotta have Audyssey or Anthem ARC or HDMI 2.1.

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
Hey now, I got a really good deal on it! lol (the Klipsch)
I think about the only thing that demonstrated was that I was quite constrained by my budget and had to rely on 'deals' I could find and that that system is pretty darn old.

hmmm, what else is involved? Room design, Amps, speakers, Projector, screen, acoustic treatments, lighting, seating, wiring, rack for system, carpeting, ...pretty much everything. But I decided this is as good a place as any to get started.

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't say 'unconstrained' but I am definitely in a different ball park:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well great we love to help guys spend their money :)

I'd aim for a room and processor to handle at least six overhead speakers if I'm going custom :) Why not Trinnov while we're at it? :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'd aim for a room and processor to handle at least six overhead speakers if I'm going custom :)
Why six overhead speakers?

Have you compared 2 vs 4 Atmos ceiling speakers first to see if there is even a significant difference? :D

Do we know how many rows of seats or how big the room is?

I sold a system to clients who have a HT room 13x15x10. I recommended 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 because the room is pretty small. So it depends on the room. Besides, the clients were a married couple who are both pharmacists and we know how cheapa$$ pharmacists can be. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why six overhead speakers?

Have you compared 2 vs 4 Atmos ceiling speakers first to see if there is even a significant difference? :D

Do we know how many rows of seats or how big the room is?

I sold a system to client who has a HT room 13x15x10. I recommended 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 because the room is pretty small. So it depends on the room.
No, but IF I were to aim at such a room/system, yes I'd aim at 6 overheads for flexibility/mapping options at least.

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
What are your list of requirements or preferences?

I would look at the Yamaha CX-A5200 pre-pro. Unless you gotta have Audyssey or Anthem ARC or HDMI 2.1.
I will take a closer look at the yamaha

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In general, the HTP-1 is at the top of my list. I have an SR-6012, and no complaints about its performance. But...
I keep hearing magical things about Dirac, the Bass Management module, and the overall quality of the Monolith(ATI) AVP that none of the other 15+ channel option come anywhere close to touching.
That said, it is still a work in progress with no clear path to HDMI 2.1, yet, but everything else seems to work. The Owners Thread at that other site has a veritable bounty of Happy Power Users that are very active, along with a guy from Monoprice and Dirac!!! With a few malcontents here and there... the overall vibe is if you want a separate AVP: This is the one.

Only you can define the specific requirements you need met for your Goals.
And, at the end of the day, we are talking about your system, and your DUCATS! ;)

Right now, if it wasn’t for the 2.1 HDMI thing, I would likely already be an HTP-1 owner. And, unless something changes with the equipment scheme in the next 6 months... I fully expect to be going that route bySummertime. :)

To the rest of it; look closely at what you want to achieve in your system! You need to sort through the wants and needs to satisfy yourself. :D
Once you do hat, the path will be clear.
Monolith.
Perhaps, Anthem.
Marantz or Denon.
Yamaha?
Storm... Trinnov... SD55...
???

F Emo.
Really. F them.
:cool:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What speakers are you planning on? Please don't tell me your going to use the Kef Q 50's with a $3500-$4000 pre/pro and then have to purchase amps too.
tenor-3.gif

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
Lol, nope. The KEF Q's are officially retired as is the klipsch sub. The sunfire lost a channel so may just be reused ias a zone amp.
Yes gonna have to choose amps also.
Have to admit the speaker and sub selection is gonna be a hard. So much out there but only a few I can locally demo.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I hope you have a healthy speaker budget to justify the electronics

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
well, what do you consider healthy?
For HT/Projector centric system, speakers should be at around at least 60-65% of your total budget, for audio/music-centric, I'd aim for 85-90%

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis