HTP-1 vs AVM 70 vs 8805

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is good to know Erod. BTW, never heard of a 15channel amp that wasn't purely a distribution amp. am I right to assume you mean another amp to get you up to the 15 channels? That of course is another thing I have to decide on...the amps. While I will need 11 channels of amplification not including if I go passives on subs I am really not excited about the 11 channel amps. They usually have a lot of the channels being split amps. Seems 7channel is about as high as you can go keeping them all equal. I realize that the atmos speakers will not be on par with the LCR....but who knows what you might want in the future and I like the idea of having all speakers matched as closely as possible. including power.
So, I guess I am considering a 7 Channel and a 5 Channel. But I need to decide on speakers probably before I choose the amps.
That is proving to be my toughest dilemma - the speakers. As a matter of fact I think I will start a thread on that topic in the speaker area.
One argument for equal power for the surrounds could be if you use small less sensitive speakers and have some large sensitive speakers for mains....that would even it out somewhat....but not sure I understand the "split amps" reference.

E

erpauls

Junior Audioholic
oh, sorry if I wasn't clear, I mean where an 11 channel amp has 3-5 channels at say 200w and the others at around 100.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
oh, sorry if I wasn't clear, I mean where an 11 channel amp has 3-5 channels at say 200w and the others at around 100.
I thought so but thought perhaps you thought they were somehow shared amp channels or something....I've always gotten only 2ch amps but I'd tend to agree if I got a multich amp I'd still just prefer them all equal so a pair of 7ch amps sounds good, if not a stack of 2ch amps, depending on rack space etc.

E

Erod

Audioholic
That is good to know Erod. BTW, never heard of a 15channel amp that wasn't purely a distribution amp. am I right to assume you mean another amp to get you up to the 15 channels? That of course is another thing I have to decide on...the amps. While I will need 11 channels of amplification not including if I go passives on subs I am really not excited about the 11 channel amps. They usually have a lot of the channels being split amps. Seems 7channel is about as high as you can go keeping them all equal. I realize that the atmos speakers will not be on par with the LCR....but who knows what you might want in the future and I like the idea of having all speakers matched as closely as possible. including power.
So, I guess I am considering a 7 Channel and a 5 Channel. But I need to decide on speakers probably before I choose the amps.
That is proving to be my toughest dilemma - the speakers. As a matter of fact I think I will start a thread on that topic in the speaker area.
Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

I have three amps, two 5-channel amps and one 7-channel amp.

One is 225wpc, the second is 130wpc, and the 7-channel amp is 125wpc.

Now deciding on the HTP-1 or the AVM70 as I move to 9.2.6.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Sorry I wasn't clear on that.

I have three amps, two 5-channel amps and one 7-channel amp.

One is 225wpc, the second is 130wpc, and the 7-channel amp is 125wpc.

Now deciding on the HTP-1 or the AVM70 as I move to 9.2.6.
HTP-1. It's been out longer and has all the bugs worked out. Is a very nice product and well worth the money.

V

vermamanu8

Audiophyte
I think about the only thing that demonstrated was that I was quite constrained by my budget and had to rely on 'deals' I could find and that that system is pretty darn old. vidmate insta save

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis